Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Best Washers and Dryers for Quilts

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Washers and Dryers for Quilts

My old washer and dryer are on their last legs. I want a new pair that will be appropriate for washing my large quilts, prewashing fabrics etc. I've looked at the new larger top loaders and front loaders, but I wonder what will really work best. What about the new steam models? Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

I have the Bosch Nexxt 800 series, there's a "comforter" cycle that works really well on large loads. I absolutely love this washing machine! There is also a sanitary cycle that runs forever and heats the water up and it's just killer for whites. I am very pleased with this set.

Have you "Tinkled" today?
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

Hi Ruth! I have to vote for my Fisher & Paykel set. Lowe's carries them. The company has been in the commercial Laundry bussiness for years(our hospital had their machines). The feature I really like is the top load washer has only 3 moving parts(yep, that's right..no belts and stuff to wear out). That the machine spins the clothes a 1000rpm...they are virtually dry when I put them in the dryer! Now the dryer is the coolest part of the set! It's a "top" loading dryer! It's wonderful, I never have to bend over to get the clothes out. The other very nice feature is the dryer tumbles like a normal dryer for about 4 minutes then...it reverses it's direction and
      tumbles in the opposite direction for about 2 minutes. My clothes are never wrinkled, towels are never twisted, nice and fluffy. I have even washed 3 yards of fabric and it wasn't twisted! I'm sold on my set. Here is a link to their site.
      http://www.fisherpaykel.com/laundry/...D3CE4579459A73

Hope that helps your quest!
      Blessings,
      Debbie S.
      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
      Tired.

Comment

We bought the TOL Whirlpool Duet pair 2 1/2 years ago. It is a front loader, which I thought I would just love. And I do have to say it does a fantastic job. I can wash my queen size quilts with no problem. However, I don't have them on a pedestal as there is a window in the laundry above the washer/dryer, and I use to the tops for folding, etc. And it is a bit of a pain to be constantly bending over to get things out. So if you go with a front loader, get the pedestals.
        Maggie in E. Central Illinois
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        Tired.

Comment

As a result of the original question, I've "Tinkled" and found the wonderful BOM on the Bunny Hill Designs website. Also, I learned about washer and dryer brands that I'd never heard of and, therefore, would never consider when the time comes for me to replace my appliances.

Isn't the forum great?! Thanks to everyone.

Nancy
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired.

Comment

Nancy, my Mom says a "Tinkle" a day is good for you!

Isn't that BOM adorable?

Originally posted by NancyinSTL
            As a result of the original question, I've "Tinkled" and found the wonderful BOM on the Bunny Hill Designs website. Also, I learned about washer and dryer brands that I'd never heard of and, therefore, would never consider when the time comes for me to replace my appliances.

Isn't the forum great?! Thanks to everyone.

Nancy
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired.

Comment

I personally believe in staying away from MAYTAG and BOSCH... I have had both product lines in the last 10 years and was very disappointed. There were/ are only three people in our family so we are not hard on either the washer/ the dryer / or the dishwasher.

Both product lines have died after less then 7 years of ownership. I had the Maytags then went to the Bosche ... I just replaced them all with KENMORE from Sears... cheaper and so far working better.

I think they may be breaking down prematurely cause we live in the country and use well water our softner is new... but as far as I am concerned MAYTAG and BOSCHE ARE SISSY CITY MACHINES... Kenmore is a country work horse.

Consider the kind of water you use in your house...well, softners, city supply... any other generalize problems.
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired.

Comment

OMG I have the opposite opinion of Maytag. I've loved mine and when I replace mine in the condo I recently bought, will go again with Maytag. I started with it because my mothers 40 year old machine that my sister now uses in the garage! When my parents sold their home and lived in a travel trailer, mom put the machine in a utility trailer and dragged it all over the country.

Comment

I have always loved Maytags, but the company has changed ownership, and they are not putting out the quality as before. The salesman at Lowe's (who also repairs appliances in his own business) steered us to the Whirlpool (who I think makes the Kenmore brand). My stepdaughter with 3 kids has the same set, and our best friends with 3 kids have the same set, and none of us have had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by maggieszafranski
                    I have always loved Maytags, but the company has changed ownership, and they are not putting out the quality as before. The salesman at Lowe's (who also repairs appliances in his own business) steered us to the Whirlpool (who I think makes the Kenmore brand). My stepdaughter with 3 kids has the same set, and our best friends with 3 kids have the same set, and none of us have had any problems.

Hi Maggie,

I bought Kenmore appliances when I bought my first house and they were still going strong after 20 years. I only bought another new Kenmore washer dryer set because I wanted new appliances in my newly built home, that was 15 years ago. I've had no problems with them. It was also my understanding that Kenmore washers & dryers were then made by Whirlpool. This was my experience, but I'm not endorsing them.

Keep in mind that times have changed when it comes to all types of appliances and electronics. Our parents were able to buy appliances built to last. Today's appliances are built to be economically obsolete--in other words, built to last just long enough for you to need to replace them when new features and functions become available.

Detergents and water quality can certainly affect the life of your appliances. It's also important to ensure that anyone else using your appliances (e.g. college kids who tend to overload) are properly instructed on how to use them.

I strongly believe that you don't get what you don't pay for, so I avoid buying cheap. However, spending a premium is no guarantee of getting good value.

NancyinSTL

Comment

I love my Sears Kenmore washer and dryer - and yes they are made by the same people who make the Whirlpool. In fact the service guy I had here a while back told me it is the EXACT same as the equivalent Whirlpool model, just a different shell put on it! I keep a service plan current on all my appliances too, so when things do go wrong (hey, I've got kids and those little socks do get places they shouldn't, lol :lol: ) it is just a quick call and service visit - no problem! I have had my set now for 8 years and the only problems I have had was an agitator gear that broke last year (turned out to be a recall issue and was replaced free of charge) and a broken dryer belt also last year. Oh, and a baby sock stuck in the outflow hose several years ago, lol :lol: I don't know that I will ever buy different.

Comment

I had a Maytag for years and loved it. But I also went with the front loading Whirlpool Duet about 2 1/2 years ago and have been very happy with them. The hold a very large loads so I have thrown large blankets in there.

Lorna

Comment

We purchased a front-loading washer and dryer a couple of years ago, and now I'm not sure I would buy that type of washer again.

1. You cannot use gentler soaps in it (like Quilt Soap) because it is bad for the motors. I even called the manufacturer one day, and they advised against using it, even occasionally. I don't like not having that option.

2. I don't like not being able to add clothes to the washer after it starts. Maybe it's me, but I always find a sock of something that fell along the way and I would like to add a bit later.

They now have high efficiency top loading washers. I would prefer those, I think. (Of course, I will now keep my front loaders for another 10 to 15 years, just like the last ones!)

Just my 2 cents...

BethMI

Comment

Couldn't resist putting my two cents in here as it always annoyed me to discover I'd missed a sock after I started the wash--one day by mistake I discovered if you open the soap tray (I have a Frigidaire set) it disables all the safeguards and you can open the door and add at will--won't work during a spin cycle. If anything a few drops of water will be on the floor.

Hope it works on your washer.

Barb

Comment

On my front loading Bosch, at any time you can pause the cycle and open the door after a moment.

One of the best washing machine discoveries I've ever made was Charlie's Soap, it is absolutely fabulous... heck it's better than fabulous!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1074 users online. 181 members and 893 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X