Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Quilting for a Holiday Runner

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after seeing ricky´s videos i´ve gotten totally hooked on that fabulous water soluble thread. it´s fantastic for "basting" your quilts. i sort of SID everything with the water soluble thread (as the thread is washed away after the quilt is done i just follow the main seams - but don´t worry about being straight or in the ditch at all), then i can FMQ to my hearts content without anything shifting and without worrying about pins / threads remaining where they shouldn´t. after i´ve finished the quilt it gets washed anyway and all the unwanted stuff disappears.
    Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

Yup, Lotti... I was saving my Superior water soluble thread for trapunto but I have to do another holiday runner after the current one I am fighting with because of tension!!!! :evil: (and I had even worked out a swatch and documented the tension settings :roll: ), but if I don't need SID in the end, I might try the water soluble on the next runner... why not? Have a good night!

Comment

What a beautiful table runner Renatta! Not much quilting teaching here but! we can practice and encourage each other. To be fair, we can alternate cooking if you like Mexican food. I can teach you Spanish if you teach me Italian. :wink:

Comment

Hey Limbania, great to see you again! Renata, I am sorry that you are having tension issues. Hope they are sorted by now.

Comment

The tension issue was the weirdest thing. I made a 12" block with all the fabrics, wadding and backing that were used to piece the runner and tested my thread by duplicating the design I FMQ'd. I picked out my tension (top and bottom threads) and went for it. When I started FMQing on the runner I kept getting minor pokies on the back but I was trying to eliminate those too and as I adjusted tension, it started turning into a nightmare.

Anyway, I was using King Tut in the top and Bottom LIne as the bobbin thread. When I switched the bobbin thread to Aurifil, all my problems went away--I was able to get the right balance between front and back. Mind you, with the Bottom Line thread, I even threaded the bobbin for embroidery and experimented with tightening the bobbin tension (I have a Bernina 830 so that is super-easy to do.). Does anyone have any addition advice for using Bottom Line with King Tut on a domestic machine? I really want to use Bottom Line in the bobbin for my projects, when possible.

Originally I was going to do swirls, and I played with Libby Lehman's ribbons that Margo suggested, but in the end, the quilting that spoke to me the most (and I tried them all) was Rosemary's curls and stars so that is what I went with. Thanks, Rosemary!

I finished the blocks, now I am off to do the two borders. Here is where it is right now. I have done lots of practice pieces and have a nice stack of 10" blocks filled with FMQ, but I am always reluctant in putting FMQ on a nicely pieced quilt so I can't say I'm satisfied with how it turned out but it is the best I am capable of doing right now and that's all I'll say! I'll post again when it's finished.

Comment

WOW! Renata, zooming in on your quilt shows your wonderful quilting! Good job!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, coming from you who does such beautiful quilting, that's like getting a "10" from Len on "Dancing with the Stars"! I know it's not a "10" but now it feels like it! :P

Comment

I think it looks wonderful, Renata! Your quilting is much better than you let on!! I would invite you to my house to teach me your quilting, but then I might have to cook and you definitely wouldnt' want that!!

Nancy

Comment

Renata, your quilting looks great. Everything is very consistent and so it works really well. You are better at this than you think you are.

Comment

Renata, you are way too humble! The stars and loops look great! Can't wait to see the border quilting! YOU GO GIRL!!!

Comment

The loops and stars are perfect! It reminds me of snowflakes and you did a great job.
                        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Thank you everybody! But why didn't I have fun doing it? :? Well, maybe towards the end...

Comment

Renata, the more you do it, the more comfortable and FUN it will be!

P P P = practice, practice, practice!!!!

Comment

Renata, the FUN will come when you are confident and comfortable with your quilting. As Margo says, PPP!! When you have done these types of designs over and over and over, and then many more times, then it will be fun! It has to become second nature... when you don't have to think much about it, you will find yourself just sitting down at the sewing machine, and stitching away In The Zone! That's when it becomes fun!

Just keep on making quilts and projects, and getting them quilted and soon, you'll realize it's FUN!!

Comment

Great stars and swirls, Renata. I agree with the others that your quilting is much better than you think.
                                Lori

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2681 users online. 385 members and 2296 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                                Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X