Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Wrestling with a wave at the bottom of quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrestling with a wave at the bottom of quilt

Ok, I just finished squaring up my knight quilt that I have spent more than two years making. Granted, it was made mostly while I was working and the time I spent on it was occasional, but still, I have a lot of hours in this quilt.

I discovered to my dismay that there is a fairly substantial wave at the bottom of my quilt. :?

I know why these things occur...differences of quilting densities (needed to make the textures right in this landscape quilt), stretching during construction (likely), and since this is a landscape quilt with lots of odd shaped pieces, the piecing may be partly at fault (quite likely)...or all of the above (why didn't I see this back before I quilted it....sigh. This quilt has been one problem after another and I will be glad to finish it. Funny how some quilts just flow together nicely and others fight you the whole way. :x Perhaps it's the knight...he is clearly a fighter. :lol:

Nevertheless, I have a wave and am not going to be able to go back, frog, and remake that part of the quilt...it's too far along...it's basically finished and heavily quilted! So I have tried steam...it stayed flat for a few minutes until I moved the quilt, and then popped right back up. I am currently trying wetting down that part of the quilt...I didn't want to wash this quilt for a wide variety of reasons related to the materials and methods used in making it. I have now got it drying after squashing it down with a flat weight. You can see the photos in my personal blog here:

http://blog.bjfabricartist.com/

I hope it won't pop right back up the second i lift it from the table. I tried some stay tape that is designed to prevent stretching in shoulder seams, etc, but it didn't make any difference and it seemed it might get in the way of the binding, so I took it off.

I may try taping it with blue painters tape to see if I can hold it together until I can put in some stay stitching. If you have any other ideas how I might fix this, I'd love to hear them. I want to enter this quilt into the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival. Send your good wishes wafting my way.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
    Betty Jo

Looks like 'Sir Quiltalong' is a little frisky and won't behave. What's going to happen to him? If his destiny is to be a wallhanging I'd add a sleeve top and bottom, and push a rod (something heavy at the bottom) through both sleeves. I bet that way you win the squirmish.
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Oh BJ, I am so sorry, and after all that work. I have no idea how to fix that I just wanted to commiserate. What about Sharon Shamber's method where she starch shrinks a block. I don't know if it would work on a quilt that has been quilted. But it is my only meagre suggestion. The quilt looks wonderful nonetheless. Rita. X

Comment

Lorchen, He's going to be a wall hanging, and that's a good idea, but I'm not sure they would take it with a rod in a bottom pocket for the quilt show I am planning on entering in. Probably won't, in fact. :roll:

Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
          Oh BJ, I am so sorry, and after all that work. I have no idea how to fix that I just wanted to commiserate. What about Sharon Shamber's method where she starch shrinks a block. I don't know if it would work on a quilt that has been quilted. But it is my only meagre suggestion. The quilt looks wonderful nonetheless. Rita. X
          Hmmm, I hadn't thought of using starch. I think I will try that...thanks, Rita!

Betty Jo

Comment

BJ--I'm praying.

Betty Jo

Comment

Good luck, Betty Jo!

I wonder what would happen if you send this lovely quilt with the a closed sleeve at the bottom that already contains a solid rod?? May be worth asking the organisers.

Comment

BJ, I love your quilt! I'm pretty new to quilting so I have no experience to offer, but I wonder if using something like a hair dryer on "hot" to dry the area after wetting it with water or starch might shrink the area more? Sending positive thoughts hoping you find the solution!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                  Good luck, Betty Jo!

I wonder what would happen if you send this lovely quilt with the a closed sleeve at the bottom that already contains a solid rod?? May be worth asking the organisers.
                  Thanks for your complement on the quilt. You're right...it might be worth asking if it doesn't get better with this round of trying.

Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by SpiritsFold
                    BJ, I love your quilt! I'm pretty new to quilting so I have no experience to offer, but I wonder if using something like a hair dryer on "hot" to dry the area after wetting it with water or starch might shrink the area more? Sending positive thoughts hoping you find the solution!
                    Lynn, I tried something kind of like that. I'm still hoping my current attempt will work. I'll know tomorrow. Thanks for your complement and positive thoughts.

Betty Jo

Comment

BJ,
                      wish I had something to offer for fixing the wave--I hope what you've attempted will do the job. In the meantime, I've looked at your Knight on your blog--the overall quilt is so pleasing to the eye, the colors are stunning and I love the quilting you've done. Just beautiful!
                      Renata

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                        BJ,
                        wish I had something to offer for fixing the wave--I hope what you've attempted will do the job. In the meantime, I've looked at your Knight on your blog--the overall quilt is so pleasing to the eye, the colors are stunning and I love the quilting you've done. Just beautiful!
                        Renata
                        Thank you Renata! Much appreciated.

Betty Jo

Comment

Hooray, my method for solving the wave appears to have worked. I blocked it wet, taped down the blocked area with blue painters tape until I got the binding sewn on, removed the tape and added some SID quilting at the tops of the hills in the blocked area and it looks really good now. I still have to sew down the back of the binding, add the pocket and label and photograph the quilt. I'll post photos when I have it done. Thanks for all your good thoughts and ideas!

Betty Jo

Comment

Well done Betty Jo. Look forward to seeing it. Rita. X

Comment

So glad it worked out, BJ. I look forward to seeing it. Happy New Year! Renata

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2706 users online. 394 members and 2312 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                              Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X