Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Is metallic thread the devil in a very thin disguise?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I put the thread on a spool stand and slowed down my stitching and decreased my tension and used an embroidery needle(don't have a metallic one, can't get one before Christmas). It worked fine on my back-up machine but the newer one just won't do it. Thanks for all the advice everybody. Everything that you all suggested helped. I did get my project finished thanks to my back-up machine. Happy Christmas everyone! Rita.

It looks wonky because it is hanging from a skirt hanger. I tried to get a close up of the quilting but my hands shake too much!

Comment

Your Christmas project is adorable--so glad you posted it, Rita. I was just wondering, since you tried everything that could be tried to make the metallic thread work, is there a possibility you might have a small burr on the bobbin case or under the throat plate and since metallic is more susceptible to shredding than other threads, could it be getting caught in a small burr that is not affecting the other threads you use? Wishing you and all a happy holiday season! Renata

Comment

Thanks Renata. There could be a slight burr bit I can't see it if there is. I am waiting to hear from my sewing machine man who wasn't in today. I don't know if I will get him before Christmas, but will try again tomorrow. I think it is being caused by the take-up lever which keeps dropping the thread. I have tried tightening the tension but that makes the thread shred in the needle, I have tried loosening the tension but that makes it worse. It has done my head in! :roll:

Comment

It was a lot of work, but it certainly looks worth it! I think your quilt is beautiful!

Nancy

Comment

Thanks Nancy, and Happy Christmas.

Comment

Very pretty Rita! So glad your back up machine came to the rescue!

It surely could be the newer machine has got a 'hiccup' and you may need to demo it's bad behavior in front of your repair man. Hopefully, he can tweak it and you will be up and running with metallics on that machine too!

Merry Christmas to you!

Comment

I also use the bottom line, and recently used the Titanium needle that Superior sells. I seams to handle the heat and lasts longer.

Comment

You mentioned that you reduced the tension on top to 1.5, I'd suggest going lower than that somewhere between 0 & 1, no higher than 1.
                  Reduce the machine speed.
                  A 90/14 top stitch needle should work just fine.
                  Note: there may be a burr in the stitch plate that you can't feel.
                  The quilt is beautiful.

Teri
                  Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Thanks Teri, I finally got in touch with my dealer just before Christmas and he is sending me metallic needles that he found worked better on the machine and also some metallic thread that he thinks might work. But really, he was not that hopeful. I have ordered some Superior Metallic thread to try and some topstitch metallic needles to see if they make the difference. Did I mention that the thread that I had used was a new brand called Wonderfil thread which claims to be the greatest thing here in Europe. It seems to be processed the same way as Superior so it will be interesting to compare. I also tried Madeira metallic and that had the same problems. I just can't believe how well it works on one machine and how badly it works on the other. Oh well, too busy to quilt for a few days anyway. But enjoying the family stuff. Rita.

Comment

I had ordered some of Libby Lehman's Bottom Line thread from Superior before Christmas and it arrived today. Without adjusting anything else I filled a bobbin and tried the metallic thread again - It worked perfectly. I am just amazed by the difference something as simple as a bobbin thread can make! So what has worked for me is a Topstitch Titanium 100/16 needle, tension of 2.5, metallic thread on a cone threader and Bottom Line in the bobbin. And finally, to sew much more slowly. Thanks everybody for your help and advice and a Happy New Year to you all.

Comment

Yippee!!!
                        Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Rita, That's super! Solving problems one variable at a time is a really cool way to go....then you know the next time. Pictures would be appreciated.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                          Betty Jo

Comment

WHOO-HOO!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Happy for you, Rita! and glad you posted what you do to get your results with metallic thread. Next time I run into trouble... your solution will be one more trick in my tool bag. Renata

Comment

Rita, I am so happy for you!!! Glad you are finally able to use the metallic thread.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1973 users online. 188 members and 1785 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X