Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Is metallic thread the devil in a very thin disguise?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is metallic thread the devil in a very thin disguise?

Why, oh why, does my sewing machine hate metallic thread? I have a 500mtr spool of metallic thread which my sewing machine seems to think it should eat, unravel and generally wrap around the machine in various places. I have tried to loosen the tension. I have tried changing the needle (what is the best needle for metallic thread? Is it a metallic needle? Is there such a thing?) - the only needle that worked sort of was an embroidery needle. It is like dealing with a two year old (or a teenager, take your pick) who might have a tantrum at any minute if you are not very very careful! Now I know that Bob the Thread Guy says that you should be careful which metallic thread you buy and I was - this is supposed to be a good quality one (can't remember the brand off hand). So is it just me? Or have thread manufacturers produced these threads to drive us quilters to the looney bin? :roll:

Rita, Schmetz makes a metallica needle that has a large eye and a groove in the front of the needle that sometimes helps me with sewing metallic thread although I often can use a topstitch needle that will work too. If the thread is wrapping around your machine in various places though, it may be that your spool of thread should be used with a spool holder. Check this link:
    http://www.quiltuniversity.com/difficult_threads.htm

I hope this information helps you.

Comment

Check the Superior Threads website. There are videos on using various threads. I use Superior's metallic with my HQ16 quilting machine as well as other machines with no problem at all. In fact, I just finished using the gold metallic for motifs in the blocks of a Christmas quilt. Fi

Comment

Ann Fahl has a new booklet out called "Mastering Metallics" which I just ordered. Haven't seen it yet, but if you know Anne Fahl, you know it will be well written and loaded with great information. annfahl.com

Comment

Rita, by some stroke of luck, I have always been very successful with metallics. I have been told not to use Sulky metallic. That it is junk. I have two Sulky spools at 1000 yards, of gold metallic, and use them all the time. And, when using the regular colors of Sulky metallics, I can even get away with using a microtex needle. Now eveything I just said makes absolutely no sense! I've broken all the rules. I have always wondered if there are just sewing machines out there that really like metallics and others that just plain are not set up for them. But, when having trouble I agree with everything Terry just said. Perhaps try a larger size needle (topstitch or metallica) and I always use Superior's Masterpiece in my bobbin.

Dawn
          In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

What bobbin thread are you using? You do need to use a very smooth bobbin thread... like So Fine, Bottom Line or Masterpiece. Any thread with fuzzy slubs will catch the metallic and shred it. Yes, there are metallic needle, or try a larger size needle. Metallics need almost no tension, and you might need to stitch slowly. If your DSM has a half motor speed, try that. Is the spool of metallic thread cross wound or strait stack wound? If it's strait, use it upright and try a thread stand. If it's cross wound, use it horizontal.

Let us know if you have any luck!

Comment

Ladies, you are a wealth of information as always. Thank you so much. I will try all of the above suggestions and let you know how I get on. Thanks, Rita.

Comment

Try changing the orientatiion of your spool. If you are having trouble with the spool vertical, try horizontal. Often metalic thread gets twisted if it comes off the spool incorrectly and then it breaks. Good luck. Betty Ann

Comment

BettyAnn, I have found that that is one thing I cannot do with metallic thread! It will twist on me so fast if I put it into the machine horizontally! At least on my machine, it only works vertically!

Dawn
                  In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

I don't know if anyone has suggested this but I want to write it down before I got distracted. Is it possible you have a burr or rough spot on your bobbin case? Some times when you break a needle it can cause damage to the bobbin case and that might be what is shredding your thread--just a thought.

Comment

So where I have got to is that my Pfaff Expression 2 machine does not like metallic thread. I tried a topstitch 100 needle and reduced the tension to about 1.5 and that worked to a degree. I think the take-up lever is actually shredding the thread. I know that they have put some weird thing in there that is supposed to aid free-motion quilting - but it doesn't! :x I can do a straight stitch but it doesn't want to do anything else. I tried my other machine with a cone threader and bypassed the take-up lever and that worked well for free motion work. Good old Pfaff Select 4. If only it had the needle-down position it would be the best machine in the world. :roll:

Thanks everybody for your advice and expertise. I think I might be looking at a trade-in in the new year. :wink:

Comment

Rita, I used to have that problem all the time until I switched to Superior metallics, which now sail through my machine like butter using a large eyed embroidery or metallic needle (they are basically the same, I believe), and Bottom Line in the bobbin. I heard Marilyn Badger, a quilter who uses tons of metallic thread, say that metallics don't do well with cotton in the bobbin, and she uses a light polyester (like Bottom Line). I use a lot of metallics now. I don't like some of the other brands as much, but with everything set up right (light top tension, Bottom Line in the bobbin, large embroidery needle) they tend to work ok. Good luck.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                        Betty Jo

Comment

The one time I used a metallic thread was a nightmare ...until I thought to put it in the bobbin. I used my bobbin thread to go through the needle, and did the quilting from the back of the little quilt I was working on. Great results! The metallic didn't get shredded going through the tension wheels and the needle. Might work for you!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                          Betty Jo

Comment

I was taught many years ago to miss the final thread guide before the needle. I found that it made a huge difference.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

I was told in a class that the thread should be on a thread stand placed a little away from the machine. The theory is because it is metallic it needs more length to straighten out as it comes off the spool in order to go through the machine smoothly. I have not used it a lot, but for one of my projects I used it in the embroidery and it worked fine. If I remember correctly I also slowed down the machine speed. I had no breakage.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1995 users online. 168 members and 1827 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X