Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat Aug thru Dec 2015 Info on first post

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck Cathy hope you got a ribbon

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I know..haven't been good about writing this summer....not too much sewing getting done. But I have been following along
      and enjoying everyone's efforts. I am always wowed by the wonders you all create. And then all the family stuff..good...new
      additions and sad..the losses ! And new undertakings !! Old friends showing up !! And some I still sorely miss....they no longer
      can find time for TQS forum. Well....enough of that talk...here's my new "baby" !

1915 #15 with Tiffany/Gingerbread decals. She sews..needs cleaning and a few
      other little things. I'll remove the motor and add a hand crank. Originally a treadle
      that had been turned electric I'm pretty sure. Purchased on Ebay...had not found one
      locally. Shipping was OK, tho' I held my breath the whole time !!

Comment

She's beautiful, Marilyn!!

Comment

Rosemary, I like the little red pieced squares scattered in the large white border of your quilt.

Heather, a friend said she used thick paper templates to quilt around, but then I tried the freezer paper and really prefer that. I make multiple shapes the same size and iron them down in a row and then I can just keep sewing along without repositioning a single paper template.

Kathy

Comment

Oh bother ! lost that post !! Ok ! About my experience with a Round Robin...here are some pics !
            Blind exchange from start to end. Blocks drawn randomly...the rows were passed every other month,
            no excuses !No Peeking ! We could add special fabrics/color preferences but nothing that would give
            away the owners' ID. 6 in. finished blocks to be set 6x7...some added sashing ..others none. We never
            knew whose quilt we where working on. It all went beautifully and some got finished and shown in 2009
            These pics were taken at the big reveal at one group member's cabin..not the best light and breezy...in
            summer 2008. It was great fun ! :woohoo: My finished one is in the middle some how :silly:

Comment

Marilyn, That is a thing of beauty.
              I'm sure you will enjoy using it.
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by "AnnieLu" post=133144
                Rosemary and others interested in the Round Robin,

My biggest concern is the postage! I've been doing a lot of pondering on ways to make this fun, but not expensive.
                I mailed out a package of about 1 1/2 yards of fabric to Australia and it cost me over $16.00, no insurance added! So, I want to be sure this doesn't get like that!
                Here's an idea I'd like some feed back on:
                It would be a "row robin"
                Monthly we each make one 'themed' row, 8 1/2" by 40 1/2", this gets sent to the next person on our individual list (something I will put together)
                We use our own stash but the theme of our friend to make the row.
                This way monthly postage would only be for a single row of the quilt, and the entire quilt would be assembled by ourselves.
                It would look something like this:
                My theme would be dragonflies and each month that my name was on Someone's list they would make a border with dragonflies as the theme. And send it to me.
                My list would look like this:
                Month 1. Lotti - nature animals
                Month 2. Rosemary - oriental
                Month 3. Lois - appliqué, please no oranges.
                Etc, etc.
                I think this would be fun and would keep costs down.

As you may have noticed in the theme idea, it can be technique or a focus word. Much like the Chinese Whispers. Each person could post a picture of what they received and as we finish adding the rows what they look like. Lots of eye candy at that point.

Before I start the other thread I want to know also WHEN everyone wants this to start by, or not beforehand!!
                Please let me know,
                Thanks
                Luann

So...I'd love to do this !....I would like to suggest that we use six or seven- 6 inch finished blocks...so as to have more "exchange" as
                larger blocks won't allow many rows without get too long and unbalanced. Of course...that depends on how many want to play !!
                My quilt was 47' x 52 " , no sashing. Lap size or sofa...
                I think after the holidays gives all a chance too get geared up finished up etc !! :P

Comment

I think the row or block size will need to be determined once we have an idea of how many are interested in participating.
                  With that being said,

What approximate size would everyone like these to finish out to?
                  I can do some design work in EQ and we could have different sized blocks that would fit together when they are all complete. That might make it even more interesting,,, just a thought.

Luann

Comment

That sounds good, Luann...variety of sizes might be fun....I'd like to keep the size on the smaller side...as I can't display a big
                    quilt ..no big "hanging" place (60' sq. is about as big as I can go) and really don't have need for another bed quilt...we only have 1 !! :blink:
                    I will wait and see how you develop it !

Comment

Yes, after the holiday sounds best to me.
                      I was thinking 48 x 60 as both those numbers divide equally into 6 inch blocks ( or twice x 3 inch blocks.)
                      Would we have a theme for our quilt and people would try to keep to that theme?

Marilyn - how did you begin? Did everyone first do one row for themselves and the pass it along to be added to?

What about each month (or other period of time) as Luann suggested, someone from the group chooses the block or theme and we each make a row onto our own quilt but must follow that choice. I think I maybe like a theme could be picked such as 'flowers' and we have to do a row with our version of flowers. Next, someone might add ' log cabin., or Christmas, or stars or house., birds, churn dash etc.
                      Is this what you meant, Luann?

Comment

That would be a good size for me, Terrie And you guessed right...we did start by drawing a block and making the first row.
                        Then they went into a brown bag along with any requests /special fabric and passed on. As you can see, we did pretty
                        good"following suit". I could make a row quilt any ol' time but part of the fun here is sewing for and receiving from someone else.
                        That's what made the other exchanges so fun. We could declare a theme...so all would love their quilt....all flowers, all cats, all
                        dogs or color.....

Comment

Luann I like your idea of shipping strips or blocks to each person to cut down on postage. The way I read your idea was that everyone would pick a theme...each month you would be assigned a new person to create for and size of block/strip. This would then be sent directly to the receiving person. This would allow each quilt to be unique and for everyone to get a new creative challenge for the month.

For example if Rosemary chose flowers and I was assigned her name I would create a flower block or row to a certain size and send it to her. The next month you might have her name and you would then create your own flower block/row and send it. Meanwhile I would be creating an animal block for Lottie and so forth.

I picture it with a general quilt layout (perhaps made by EQ) that has so many rows/blocks. Each month a row or block or two is assigned much like a block of the month. January we make two 6 inch blocks, February we make one 6 inch by 40 inch strip, etc. This way everyone makes the same "shape" but the content is specific to the person or people we were assigned for the month

Or am I completely wrong and we are planning something else :whistle:

Comment

Jdeluka,

Correcto Mundo!! I think that's what Dora the Explorer said. Gotta love those kid shows,,

I really want to 'exchange' with everyone, as I'm wanting something tangible and viewable. I am planning on having a
                            "Great Wall of Friendship" in my house.

I think if each person writes a description of what they would like their quilt to look like we would be able to refer to that when making their block. I can email those notes with the physical addresses and the method of rotating thru the names with the first month's "size" info.

I'm thinking about the fact that not everyone is as accurate as the next and how to adjust for this. Also that we use inches in the USA and those living else where use metric measurements. To accommodate this, we each will sash out our pieces received with our own fabric to bring them to a proper fit. Wendy's comment about her first strip rec'd being 'short' made me think about this.
                            So, if a person has said they would like: spring time, floral, loves green, hates bright orange, thinks appliqué is terrific but never does any, she may decide to sash her pieces all out with the same green.

I'm also going to try to come up with at least two alternate layouts.

Luann

Comment

I think inches are pretty universal in quilting Luann. I just added some extra squares on and if that didn't work I'd have redone a couple of seams.

Comment

Here in Canada we have almost everything in Metric, but most quilting is in inches.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2221 users online. 283 members and 1938 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X