Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat Aug thru Dec 2015 Info on first post

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debbie, The wall hanging is beautiful. Take care & keep us posted.

Comment

Dorothy,
      I'm taking Candy's class on silk dyeing and enjoying it. If you really want to get into silk dyeing it would be beneficial. Silk fabric and scarves can get pretty expensive unless you're going to craft shows, etc.
      Dyeing 103 is the one that has the biggest volume of recipes. Just take your time and don't hesitate to ask her any questions that come up. She's pretty quick to answer.
      Just for your info, the recipes for silk and cotton are not identical. You do use the same Procion MX dyes and soda ash, etc and that helps a lot.
      I just finished my cleanup from a full day of dyeing. I did 4 color wheels of 15 steps each. Each piece was a generous half yard, so I will be able to have one set of fat quarters, and two sets of fat eighths to sell. I'm just not sure how the colors are going to turn out. It's always so hard to get an idea when things are processing, they look so murky right now???
      I'm tired,,, can't think of why,,,
      Luann

Comment

Hurrah for Debbie's mum. Nice quilt

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Luann, it is very interesting to follow your adventures into dyeing. I couldn't help laughing when I read about your red rug. Red dye was the thing that made me give up dyeing almost 10 years ago. We had moved into a brand new house and settled well when I decided that dyeing had to be done and despite not having a utility area any more I did all the prep in the kitchen and carried it downstairs in bags nicely placed in the cat litter tray to rinse in the garden which after lots of buckets of water carrying I did and then went to do final washing and rinsing in the washing machine. The last of the fabrics to go through were the reds and being at the end of the day I had to cook dinner upstairs in the kitchen. The laundry area was at the back of the garage. When I went down to check red soap suds were coming out of the soap drawer running down the white painted wall and flooded the pale grey tiles underneath the machine and the freezer. Somehow or another the red dye in conjunction with the soap I was using had a chemical reaction and it all went haywire. I scrubbed for hours with ever tougher cleaners to try to get the dye out of the tiles, the grouting and the wall. Eventually I got it out of the tiles and most of the grout and painted the wall with a stain covering paint before adding two layers of white kitchen paint. Never, never again I swore and that is one lesson I really did take to heart and I haven't touched any dye since. The remaining dye powder was passed on to newbie dyer along with all my notes and books for her to enjoy. Did I over-react? Probably but to be honest I haven't missed my hand-dyed fabrics and having moved again with no grass in the garden and a very small house and very expensive water I'm happy with my swift and quick decision :lol:
          Wendy, your scarf is yummy. I bet you enjoy wearing that in this cool summer we are having here in UK
          Annis - your red and white quilts are delightful. I really, really like my Brother embroidery machine - never had such an easy-to-get-to-grips-with emb machine before and it is so accommodating when it comes to thread. Your DGD will have so much fun using the machine you got her.
          Congratulation on the grand-babies Ritzy!
          What a fun Happy Halloween quilt - there are so many great ideas out there in the quilting world.
          I love the rag-bunting - great idea. Thanks for sharing
          Sorry to hear about your surgery Debbie! Be careful and pay heed to the advice about what you may and shouldn't do once you start "do-ing" again!
          I haven't visited the retreat for a little while so lots to catch up on. I've hit a bumpy road all due to being over-confident in my abilities to FMQ. Decided to do some grid work on what was supposed to be a quick project while I mulled over the 4 FMQ samples. I put together the very last of the blocks from Laura Nownes class to make a container to store my emb stabilizers. All those very thick seams are playing havoc with my quilting which I by now should have known. I will finish but it's a good thing the finished thing will be standing in a corner. My darning foot just haven't got enough clearing and all smoothness in the stitching goes out the door. Now I just want to finish the "darned" thing and move on :P
          Marianne

Comment

Oh dear Marianne, try changing to a sharper needle and reduce the presser foot pressure that should help.

Surprised you haven't changed your avatar with your red phobia. Stuff of nightmares

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by "twiglet" post=132528
              Oh dear Marianne, try changing to a sharper needle and reduce the presser foot pressure that should help.

Surprised you haven't changed your avatar with your red phobia. Stuff of nightmares
              Can't change the foot pressure on the old machine - already screwed the screw as far up as it will go (guess how I know it won't go any further up? involves crawling around on the floor :sick: :lol: )

Yes, need to do something about the avatar - still looking for a pink hippo :woohoo:
              Marianne

Comment

Debbie, I hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery and NO more pain. It's such a problem when our hands decide to give us trouble!
                Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Marianne,
                  I think your story is pretty entertaining too. My 'red' rug actually isn't! The red water that was on it, all washed out when it rained the other night. So it must have just been exhausted but sticking! Sorta like me on a dyeing day! LOL funny thing is, the rug is propped over a couple of garbage cans trying to dry out in 85% humidity! It may be a lost cause and not due to the dye, but to mold!!
                  As a little bear would say, 'oh, bother'. I think that's a Winnie the Pooh saying, but if not, Paddington will do just fine. Can you tell I'm missing the Grandkids? Soon, the trip home is coming, just not soon enough!
                  Have a great day,
                  Luann
                  Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Luann, hope your rug dries out. It wouldn't dry here that's for sure - it is so wet and now it's windy too. Doesn't bode well for the approaching autumn :unsure:
                    Today I can laugh about the red "stuff" but I was really very, very cross at the time. As always when one door closes (or you slam it behind you :whistle: ) another opens and I would never have started using solids if I hadn't stopped dyeing. It was difficult getting solids here in Europe 10 years ago but now it's a doddle and of course batiks are readily available so I don't feel I'm missing out.
                    BTW I think it is Pooh you're quoting but can't be sure. I love Pooh and should really read him again. I've got no grandchildren but surely they aren't a prerequisite to read Pooh are they? :P
                    'Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery
                    but today is a gift which is why we call it the present'
                    A great quote from stories I think Have a great day!
                    Marianne

Comment

I just want everyone to know that I love you!

This site has been a real blessing in my life. Thank you all for being 'just what you are', no pretending and lots of caring. You're the greatest.

Luann

Comment

[hide]!I second your post LuAnn. this is a wonderful site.

my hand is unusually painful today but it looks fine. i am trying to do exactly as instructed as i really want it to heal properly.

fabric came in my mail today so i am waiting impatiently for my husband to open it. our youngest daughter is engaged and planning a June wedding. fabric that arrived today is for her wedding quilt...monet wedding ring pattern by Judy martin.can't wait to start.

marianne--your red dying escapade must have been quite the experience!

[/hide]
                        Deborah W

Comment

Bravo on the lovely wall hanging. I hope your hand heals FAST!
                          Deborah W

Comment

You all may think I've really lost my grip, but, I've noticed that in front of someone's name, just in front of the date, a green button shows up for some and not others. Anyone know what that's about? And how do you post that only members after signing in can read your posts? I know you think I've got too much time on my hands, to be asking, but little things like that get me wondering and finding out an answer puts my thoughts on better things.
                            I just finished the first rinse out of 60 generous half yard cuts! I am losing my grip, literally. My hands are sore and my feet want a break. So, while they are ow in ice water I'm on my porch, sometimes I fondly call it 'the dog house', as it's where I retreat to when the hubby has issues!!LOL. You know, those issues are never any of my doing!! :evil:
                            It's hot, humid and I'm not feeling very social. So, it's the porch for me.
                            I sure could use some real M&Ms at the moment. Glad this is a virtual retreat or I'd have chocolate stains on my fabric!
                            Love you guys,
                            Luann
                            Deborah W

Comment

I don't believe it! As soon as I put that post up, the little green light went out! Ok, who's messing with me??!!
                              You know I'll find out who you are, and I'll tell my big sister on you! LOL

Maybe I should go to bed!

Night,
                              Luann
                              Deborah W

Comment

Oh, heck ! Where's Tribblemom?? She has all the answers ! :silly: :huh: :silly:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1976 users online. 149 members and 1827 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X