Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat Aug thru Dec 2015 Info on first post

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait till the rest get processed and the 'giant' color wheel can be seen. Then there's this triangular setup that shows the interaction of all the colors. It'll be worth the wait.

I still need to figure out if I will sell these as individual fat quarters, layer cakes, charms, strips, etc etc.
    Anyone have a suggestion?

Luann

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Wow Luann I am I am and I'm dribbling looking at your fabrics they are so intense, well done.

I long to do indigo Terrie especially after seeing Maureen's work when we went to Scotland.

Comment

Wow Wendy and Luann!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabrics and the scarf!!! Can't wait to get going on more dyeing...sooo much fun!!!
        Dorothy

Comment

Judith,
          It's another lesson learned, actually. I just assume I've got a working ice maker and less than a mile down the road I can get 16# bags, or 20# loose, into a cooler. So I don't really stress about it. It's just a pain to take a break midstream to go for ice. So, I've learned my lesson. I'm presently making ice chunks in some ziploc bags. I'll use them and if they spring a leak, it's ok! I was thinking about those freezeable pouches that you can pick up at the store, but the contents are some sort of chemical and if they'd leak it could be worse than a red rug!!
          So, what is this?? Lesson umpteenth!! Still LOL, AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

Luann

Comment

Just got a call from the repairman. He can swing by yet this afternoon!! Yeah. I'm keeping a positive attitude.
            Luann

Comment

Luann and Wendy,
              Georgeous fabrics!!! Absolutely scruptous!

Luann,
              I suggest selling them as a group. Someone will really appreciate the collection as a whole and will make wonderful use of it. This is a case where "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts."

Comment

There are 7 fat quarters batching for making a purse for a friend. We'll see if I actually get lavender, light grey, grey, and dark grey!!

Tomorrow I can start rinsing these next ones out and put them into their first ice water soak,

And that's all for tonight.
                Luann

Comment

Wow do you sleep :blink:

Comment

Wendy,
                    I do sleep, some. However, this morning I woke up at 3!!!
                    I had a dream of how to finish quilting the background areas on the quilt that's been on my longarm for a week now. It has squares of deconstructed screen printed fabric surrounded by a lot of various sizes of white strips.

I have very unique designs inside each of the blocks, but I was baffled when it came to all that white, and it's WHITE! So all the stitching is going to show. Well my dream solved the puzzle, I actually have a 'vision' of what it should look like when done. This has never happened to me before, so quite a unique adventure. I believe I can utilize my ProStitcher to do this. It's going to take a lot of time, but I think it will be so worth it in the end.
                    And with the hubby resting peacefully I'm going to wait to get started.
                    I came out to my screen porch. It's now 4 am, 74 F, and 94% humidity. Its been raining but the Lightning has subsided.
                    I just looked at those 7 tubs of fabric for Jennifer's purse. And the liquid in most of them is almost clear. I'm going to make a note of how much dye stock to water ratio I used on those! Usually I mix at a DOS of 4. The lilac was .06% so it should not turn out purple, just a light lavender. Time will tell.
                    Luann

Comment

Luaan,
                      Where do you get your energy? what ever your on could you bottle it and send me some. :lol:
                      Love your fabric colours.
                      Wendy your scarf in gorgeous.
                      Happy weekend to all my TQS friends.
                      Anne

Comment

Usually I mix at a DOS of 4. The lilac was .06% so it should not turn out purple, just a light lavender. Time will tell.
                        Luann
                        Ok..have to ask..what does DOS mean? I have learned sooo much from you Luann!!!! Can't wait to see the quilt with your vision quilted on it :cheer: I so wish I had a long arm...I have quilted 3 quilts on one, and loved it, but just have no room to put one
                        Dorothy

Comment

Anne,
                          If my energy came from a bottle I'd share. My mind won't rest when it has thoughts running through it. I'm probably low on melatonin or some other supplement!! For now, I'll just take a nap if I need one.

Dorothy,
                          DOS means depth of shade. Sometimes you will see WOG, which means weight of goods. Basically it's 'how strong' you are making your dye stock. I weigh mine, as there is so much difference if you dry measure the powders. When you get dye powder the company will put it in the smallest, yet adequate, size of container. Golden Yellow is very 'airy' so it actually needs a larger one. This picture shows 2 containers, each holds 2oz of its named dye.

So, if you are measuring the dry powder by teaspoon or tablespoon, you most likely are not getting all of your colors to the same depth of shade. This is not a big deal, but anything over the 4% tends to waste dye and the washouts take a lot longer. I started out this way, but since taking Candy Glendenning's classes I have gotten more structured with my dyeing. I still find that I like doing serendipitous dyeing too. That would be methods like ice dyeing, thickened dye painting, marbling, etc etc. When doing these it's just too unpredictable to try to figure out exact amounts of dye for size of fabric.
                          Now for how this actually work so:
                          5 grams of dye powder in 240 ml of hot water, this used on 1yard of P&B Dyer's Muslin, and left to batch for 24 hours in a very warm environment resulted in these

I hope this is helping you and not confusing. Many dyers don't measure the powder by weight, in fact Candy is the only one, that I remember, that did. Don't stress about it, but if your rinsing out is taking a lot of time, try using less dye powder in your solution, keep things very warm, and try to batch for 24-48 hours.

Have a great day,
                          Luann

Comment

Luann What do you use to thicken your dye so you can paint with it? I tried dye painting one piece, but I didn't thicken it, and it didn't turn out to well :blush: I really want to be able to do that too
                            Dorothy

Comment

Dorothy, years ago I was making an Andy Pandy costume for a school play/sketch and it needed to be wide blue and white stripes. So starting off with the usual white sheet, my parents bought me some dylon cold water dye and wallpaper paste (Mum is a chemist and so knows about these things). I made up the dye and then thickened it with the wallpaper paste. Apart from adding too much paste, which made it go lumpy, it worked really well. Alternatively you could try corn starch, like when you are thickening gravy. Failing that I am sure there are posh (expensive) specially designed for dyeing, packets of thickening agents available.

Comment

Originally posted by "dorothy.j.wolf" post=132441
                                Luann What do you use to thicken your dye so you can paint with it? I tried dye painting one piece, but I didn't thicken it, and it didn't turn out to well :blush: I really want to be able to do that too
                                Dorothy
                                Dorothy,
                                There are a lot of thickeners out there. I've used sodium alginate, made some too thick and another batch too thin! If you use a product that you can add the dye powder directly to you just need to be sure it isn't too runny for what you want to do with it.
                                I've wondered if you could use aloe Vera gel, the clear stuff. Perhaps even liquid starch, or school glue could be used. The idea is that it just needs to get it thick enough for you to work with and stay where you put it for 24 hours to batch up. Remember that you may want to make sure the humidity stays high enough so it doesn't dry out. That would stop the batching process and skew your results. Let us know what you decide to try.
                                My washer is sitting with hot water, dawn soap, and 50 fat 1/8ths, and 7 fat 1/4ths in it. Tomorrow at 5 am I can drain, rinse and spin. Then start on the next hot water soaking!! I really got some scrumptious colors on those 1/8th yard pieces.
                                Have a great day,
                                Luann
                                Maybe I should put together a 'real' retreat for dyeing cloth. We would have so much fun. Hmmm??

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2229 users online. 221 members and 2008 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25586   Active Members: 1,296  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X