Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat - Join Anytime

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Retreat - Join Anytime

Many of us would love to attend a retreat, but for any number of reasons it isn't doable at the moment. So, here's to having a virtual retreat. Because we would each come to a retreat with different expectations I would like this to have a very self-directed focus. Anyone wanting to join in, just hop aboard! Let us know a bit about you, your work space and what "your" virtual retreat is going to look like. That being said, I know that some may wonder, "well, just what does a virtual retreat look like?" So here goes for mine:

Hi, Luann here. Also referred to as AnnieLu. I'm going to start off my virtual retreat with a picture of me working at what is supposed to be a dining room table!

I'm going to commit to spending at least 30 minutes, for each day of this month, in my art area or sewing room. For me an ideal retreat would be doing some surface design on the fabric as well as using the fabric. Such as, shibori dyeing of some cloth that I would then use in a project. Here are some examples of fabric already done that I would take along on my trip.

At my fantasy retreat I would learn how to use some of the products that I purchased with such good intentions. But my mind wandered and I need to figure out how to use some of them. And of course I would bring along some pieces from my inspiration wall.

I hope this helps with ideas of how you may want to set up your own criteria for joining in. Whatever works for you is fine. Just remember that we go to a retreat to come home feeling better for having been there. And if that means sleeping late, wandering around to see everyone else's activity, and just relaxing in general, that's ok too! Just communicate with us so we get to know you better and who knows,,, someday we may all be at a live retreat together. Now wouldn't that be grand!

Any questions, comments, or general chatting is fine.

Luann

PS Show and tell is the highlight of any retreat, so do share pictures if possible.

I'll be popping by from time to time. Right now, my schedule is FULL, so I may have to wait a while. Actually I was all booked up for a quilt retreat in July this summer, and the my son decided to get married, so I had to cancel. The last 'real' retreat I was signed up for had to be canceled at the last minute due to the birth of my newest grandson! My growing family takes first place, but it sure would be nice to have the time to go to a real retreat. Until then, this is the next best thing.

I neverthought they would grow up to be rabbits! :unsure:

Comment

Good start Luann I'll be asking some questions about what you've posted and join the retreat in the morning but it's late here in UK. See you in a few hours, I'll pray for cold weather so I can enjoy it :lol: (I'm ducking to avoid the eggs being hurled by others here in the UK)

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Look after the bunnies Terrie

Comment

Luann, I love your design wall and your fabrics. When I go on a retreat I like to work on projects that don't require a lot of concentration or space. I usually have the fabric pieces cut and ready to sew, sew, sew.

I finally got to couch some yarn to a practice valance I made for my real retreat center. I purchased it a few weeks ago on the day my DH interrupted me with something more urgent so didn't even take it out of the bag until now. It still needs a rod casing as soon as I decide what size rod I'm going to use. Now I just need to make 5 more. But first there are still more urgent things to do since I'm so far behind on everything.

Comment

I really like the mixture of patterns on your valance. It looks French Provincial. The small town of Galena,in Illinois, has that feeling about it. I enjoy visiting it with my family that lives in the Rockford, Illinois area.

I hope folks drop into our little virtual retreat. We might even have some yummy recipes to share.

Luann

Comment

Luann I love your shibori and would have a go at that this retreat but I have to get a quilt done this week for a friend who has had 2 adorable little boys. So I'm going to be quilting my Laura Nownes quilt. Yes I know I have said this several times over the last couple of years but I'm going to get on with it.

I shall be in Annis's workshop for my virtual retreat and actually in my little messy hole I love.

my quilt waiting for me

I've been knocking up some birds for a craft stall I booked in a moment of madness for a craft fair in November. They need embellishing so I may get some of these done.

and I'd love to start making things with my recent fabric purchases

Luann did you use indigo for your shibori

Comment

Heads up everyone,
                I just lost my entire post that I was working on!! I put it on hold, went to check a web address( did not want to give misinformation) then came back to finish it, and lo and behold,,, everything that I had written was GONE!
                I just wanted to share this with you. It could have been my computer, server, or cyber gremlins, it doesn't really matter. Next time I will post the msg and come back and within the quote area add anything I don't have at the ready.

Now back to that original post I was working on

Luann

Comment

Annis the valance is beautiful. I'm enjoying this virtual retreat looking at your red quilts.

I've put together the backing for my quilt out of the leftover fabric and layered it up. I'm just going to make some bread, let the chickens have a run around and clip some bushes then I'll be back to see what you've been up to and read Luann's lost post.

Hope some more of you turn up for the virtual retreat it's a bit quiet. Come and say hello anyway. Rosemary how are the plans for your room, have you still got to share it with your husband?

Comment

Wendy,
                    Thanks for dropping in and joining in the fun. I'm going to get myself a cup of coffee, sit in a comfy chair, and look over your shoulder (hope that's ok with you). Your little corner is very inviting and I saw a lot of interesting things throughout your 'room' that I think will make for some interesting show and tell time. And don't forget to show us those pieces that are on your chair. Is one a Hexie?
                    I like the colors of the quilt you're making. How will you be quilting it up? Will you use a longarm machine, a domestic machine, or do you quilt up the sandwich by hand? How did you decide which block patterns to use? And color placements? It's always interesting to learn how others make the decisions.
                    The wall above the bed has some interesting pieces on it. Would you do a 'show and tell' about them?
                    What are your little birds made of? They look soft and warm, so I'm thinking they are wool. Do be sure and show us how you embellish them.
                    And that fabric stash is so delightful. It brought to mind Rachael and the type of patterns she often puts in her quilts. You can find her at www.stitchedincolor.com She has a blog and I've even taken a couple of her classes online. They're actually more like a workshop. If you check out her Angled class I think she might have pictures up of each of the quilts she presented. But even if you just browse around her site and see what she puts together I think you're going to enjoy it.
                    I will post later today on any progress I have made in my 'Creative Virtual Retreat'.
                    Luann

Comment

Hello LuAnn,

This virtual retreat sounds like what I need. I have just started an art quilt for my niece as a wedding gift. The wedding is August 1st. I've been in a bit of a slump lately. I think it's weariness from taking care of my mother. In any case, I will take and post some pictures.

I like all the pictures that have been posted so far.

Here is a picture of a small art quilt I made for a friend. Her brother died suddenly at the age of 20 about 4 years ago. His favorite song was "Good Life", so I made this using scraps from another quilt I just finished.

Geneva
                      Geneva

Comment

I should join this retreat and work on the project that I started at my guild's retreat last summer... :blush:

Kathy
                        Geneva

Comment

Go on Kathy show us your project.

My bread was a disaster. I made baguettes and all was going well until I scored the tops before going in the oven and they just sank. Still going to eat them for tea with bacon but hope we don't break our teeth.

Luann the quilt is one we made in a class here https://thequiltshow.com/learn/classrooms/category/latest/contemporary-quilt-sampler I can't find the gallery of everyone's work which probably got lost in the transition to the new forum . It was a good class on technique and precision sewing.

On the wall above the quilt is my quilt for Chinese Whispers, February entry I think. This challenge is still ongoing with the next show and tell at the end of July. Here is the group which has photos https://thequiltshow.com/community/member-groups/viewgroup/100006-chinese-whispers-for-anyone and the group description gives a bit of an explanation. The thread where we all chat or not is https://thequiltshow.com/forum/friendship-triangle-exchange/7079-cw-challenge-for-anyone-guide-on-1st-post?limitstart=0 Please join in, the more the merrier. I should be working on that soon as well

Geneva your quilt is so moving, your friend will treasure it. I love your couching

Comment

Welcome to Geneva and Kathy!
                            Glad to have you joining us. Be sure to 'make it yours' as to what and when you decide to show and tell. I'm looking forward to seeing what each of us has on her "plate or should that be platter?"
                            Comments and suggestions for our retreat are always welcome.
                            Luann

Comment

I really like all the pics I've seen on here. I've skimmed through the comments. Going to be grandmothering for the next two days, with a proper 'tea' with 2 3 y.o. granddaughters.

Wendy, I love your space - I'd be right at home there!

Not officially at this retreat, just lurking...

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1998 users online. 160 members and 1838 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X