Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

What is your most favorite feature on your sewing?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my needle threader recently wasn't working correctly either (Viking Diamond) so I took it in and it turns out there are 2 screws on the back side of the threader. They just needed tightening and now it works perfectly. It does require a special screwdriver to tighten it so I need to find one of those.
    Before this happened I could not thread 60 needles, but since this adjustment, I can!

Comment

Congrats Dawn! You will not be disappointed. I have been researching features, trying to decide on which machine to buy and finally decided on a Babylock Destiny, which is the same as your new machine. I chose Babylock over Brother because of my availability of dealer service after the sale. In reference to your comment on the Bernina 830, I was one of the customers who received a less than perfect machine, twice. When it functioned properly, it was an amazing machine but when it was out of commission, it was a very expensive paperweight. Wishing you many happy hours of sewing on your new Dream Machine

Comment

I recently bought a new machine. A pfaff performance. It has needle up and down. Dual feed. And rather than a knee lift it has a feature when you stop sewing the presses foot automatically lifts. And when you begin sewing the presse foot automatically drops down . Perfect . Also has on off sewing button and sew speed which makes for easy paper piecing. I also highly recommend buying from a reputable dealer for the extra personal service. Mom.quilter

Comment

Well, there are a few... I love the Needle Down, the 1/4" quilting foot, and the needle threader. Being able to drop the feed dogs is nice, but not necessarily a must-have for me.

Comment

I prefer to keep machines for a very long time but seems recently I have been in a purchased, traded, sold cycle for various reasons. have a few vintage Singers, Pfaff 7570, Bernina 900 Nova, Janome 11KSE, Babylock Jane, and former owner of Viking 1+, Janome 9700, Horizon 7700 QCP, Bernina 830E and 780E. I prefer the Pfaff IDT over the Bernina Dual Feed. My must have features are the ability to move the needle by increments, needle threading mechanisim-not necessarily an auto threader, needle down feature, ability to use the machine without the foot pedal, and an auto thread cutter. I find that the European style of machines seem to have the needle movement function more fine tuned vs the Japanese manufactured machines. Most of the multi-function (zig-zag) machines allow needle movement, however, some have the movement pre-set. Having the ability to move the needle in small increments is especially important when doing machine applique. I purchased the Janome Horizon 7700 for it's many features but when doing machine applique, such as a blanket stitch, the stitch settings were preset to where I couldn't decrease the width of the stitch beyond 2.0. I checked with my dealer, who said the settings could not be adjusted so I sold the machine. It was a good machine. I enjoyed using it's many other functions but moving the needle by increments was a test that I didn't perform thoroughly during the store demo; realized it months later when it was time to work on a machine applique project. :sick: I rely on my old Pfaff for machine applique and when that machine finally gives out, I'll buy another Pfaff. I gave my Viking 1+ to my daughter in law; it also has beautiful machine applique/embroidery stitches and a few other nice features but I was unhappy with the piecing long straight seams and the ability of the feed dogs to grab the fabric smoothly. Janome's have excellent feed dog systems; great for piecing, as does my Bernina 900 Nova, my vintage machines and my BL Jane. If only there was a way to capture "all" of the favorite features in one machine.

Comment

Hersisterquilts.............I did look at the Babylock Destiny first. It had everything, and more! It was amazing. And, you are right, the Destiny and the Brother Dream machine are almost identical. As many of you have stated, the availability of good service and the availability of help whenever you need it, are as important as the features on each machine. The reason I bought the Dream machine, over the Destiny, was the price difference. Beginning price of each was pretty much the same. The Destiny is now 10% off. But, my Brother Dream Machine beat that price.......by $3,000!!!! More volume, better price! And, I really connected with the lady who would be helping me learn all about my machine. That is an important feature, too!

I still do not have my new machine, but today is day 10 on the "It could be around 10 days!" wait. I'm not holding my breath, because I know the chaos the west coast dock strike has caused! Meanwhile, I am cleaning up and organizing my sewing room.

One thing I am looking forward to trying is the tiny increments of movement for the needle position that a couple of you have mentioned. I do some very precise, slow quilting, sometimes a stitch at a time, and think this is a great feature.

Also, I think it is wonderful to have so many options to raise and lower the feed dogs! On a bad sciatic day, I can forgo the knee lift, and use either the foot pedal control, or the button right on the front of the machine. Very cool!

Dawn
              In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Does anyone have a favorite machine for free motion zigzag quilting? I have looked at a Bernina 750, but that's all.

Comment

The auto pivot feature on the Designer series Husqvarna
                  machines... they call it the "sensor system")...Tap the foot control and my needle is lowered! No knee needed. I can set for needle down, and get an auto pivot that makes every corner a brief. a touch gives a lift, with an up and a "way up"! Ditched my old Bernina 830 many years ago for VIking and have not missed it for a minute. When considering a new machine PLEASE visit your LOCAL dealers. Take samples of what you do most often, and let the dealer do their demo - THEN ask to sew a bit on the machine yourself. You'd never buy a car without driving it - why in the world would you do that with a sewing machine!? And finally, don't buy on the internet. If you don't patronize your sewing machine expert, someday, there won't be a shop in your backyard!!
                  And FYI... No decent modern machine comes without a needle threader... but be sure your dealer gives you classes (free!) to show you how to use your new machine - this is a must!
                  - Karen the machine geek

Comment

I love everything about my Husqvarna Viking Designer Diamond. Include all the comments from other sewists except the knee lift, as the foot pedal takes care of what the knee lift does. I use the fix and stop button, as well as the start stitch from beginning button on the machine when using the decorative stitches. The embroidery unit and on screen options for editing designs is easy to use, and the design positioning feature is so helpful when placing a design on clothing that is difficult to hoop.
                    Glad you are happy with your machine purchase as I am with mine.

Comment

I asked a sewing teacher who has been in the business for over 25 years, which machine she likes the best and why, and she said the feed sensor system in the Viking machines, great for general sewing, and quilting, and likes the Babylock machines for embroidery, as she mentioned that is the focus on the development of the two sewing machine companies. Thought you may like to know this.

Comment

There are several,I have the Janome Memory Craft 8200QC. I also love the extra lighting,wider throat for machine quilting(which I need more practice),thread cutter,and the needle threader.Plus all the wonderful decorative stitches.The cutter works well, and the only time I get bird nests is if I haven"t threaded it properly. I've just retired so now I can learn more about my machine. So far all thread types seem to work. I love the walking foot.Hope this helps. Karen from Historic Madison,Indiana

Comment

I've sewn since I was 10 on a lot of different machines.

I currently own 2 pfaffs, 1 Elna 6003.
                          Love my Pfaffs. Needle up down. built in dual feed, knee lift, needle threader.

Comment

I have a Babylock Ellisimo and I love it because it is very user friendly. I was going to purchase a Babylock Destiny but can't afford the $10,000 price tag at this time in my life since i am now not working

Ann

Comment

Needle threader, and the needle down features would be my main features that I would always want now.

Comment

I purchased a new machine three years ago, brand will remain unnamed, after having Viking/Husqvarna for 34 years. It was not a Viking. After one year, I traded it in on a Brother Dream Creator. Can't think of anything I don't like about it. Has more than I need. No matter what brand, I couldn't live without needle down, dual feed or walking foot, excellent lighting, a larger work space, ability to move needle left or right. Mine has automatic thread cutter and backstitch (if set that way). Button controls so everything could be done feet free if you wanted. No matter what machine you get, try them in the store! The one I purchased three years ago had excellent reviews, but compared to my previous Vikings, I was frustrated. I love Viking, but it didn't have quite what I wanted at the time. So far, so good with my Brother.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2230 users online. 222 members and 2008 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25586   Active Members: 1,296  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X