Make it your own embroidery class -- ask questions here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I use YLI Metallic thread?

Comment

I am having a hard time figuring how big to start cutting.. what inches to cut should I start with to make it simple.. I like the different sizes but afraid to cut. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by DeAnna0328 View Post
        Could I use YLI Metallic thread?
        DeAnna, I don't have much experience, but I have been watching a lot of you tubes! If you use metallic thread they say to
        keep the length short because it frays easily. Alex said to run it thru Thread Magic before stitching. Another idea I really like
        is to use the fussy threads that are hard to pull thru the fabric as a weaving thru the stitches you have already done. I am planning to do that when I get started. If you notice in both these pictures they put the eye of the needle thru first to prevent splitting the
        base threads with you needle point. HelenW

Comment

• DeAnna0328 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your help. I would definitely use thread magic for any metallic thread.

Originally posted by littlestitches View Post
        I am having a hard time figuring how big to start cutting.. what inches to cut should I start with to make it simple.. I like the different sizes but afraid to cut. thank you
        Yolanda, First you should decide what size final background you want. I made up a mock one for you in my EQ8. If you are using the silk fabric be sure to stabilize the back. I am using cotton but still put Pellon 906 feather weight fusible stabilizer on the back. Also, if using silk I would personally stay away from triangles or diagonal cuts that have a bias edge. They get wavy and wonky really quickly. My example for you is just rectangles and squares. You can look at the rulers on top and left side to get the finished
        size. For cutting make sure to add 1/4 inch all around for seam allowance. Pick numbers that work well together, like 2, 4, 6, 9, 12.
        HelenW
        CLICK ON PICTURE TO SEE IT LARGER
        Last edited by Helen W.; 12-11-2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Yolanda C. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much. I am use to following cutting measurements all ready stated.. This is a challenge to start.. I embroidery so thats not a problem.

What is the size of Alex neutral quilt?

Comment

• Judy P. commented
          Editing a comment
          I think she said 14 x20

I also went with grunge fabric I had. These are the three stitches I know so far. Looking forward to learning more

Comment

• Linda L. commented
          Editing a comment
          Love it! Grunge is one of my favorite lines. Looking really nice

I think this took me as long as anything I’ve ever done in 50 years of quilting one planned. One not.
        Last edited by Judy P.; 12-11-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Comment

Suzanne, I have always used a hoop but based on your experience I think I will try not using a hoop.

Comment

Alex can you tell me where you found and bought your adjustable lap desk your using. I searched and can’t find anything like it.

Comment

• Jo Anne commented
                Editing a comment
                I found the Lap App at several places, like Amazon and at lapapp.com. But TQS has the best price. I got one fromTQS and love it!

Originally posted by Hobbykat1955 View Post
              Alex can you tell me where you found and bought your adjustable lap desk your using. I searched and can’t find anything like it.
              Hobbykat, She said they sell them at the TQS shop. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by Lisaespanol View Post
              Suzanne, I have always used a hoop but based on your experience I think I will try not using a hoop.
              Lisa, I am a beginner and I thought the same thing. But my first line of chain stitch was so wonky I ripped it out. So I made
              a practice piece and thought I would try with a hoop that I had from way back when I did a little cross stitch. It is big enough
              that I don't have to move it often. I like the tension. I can put on corner on the table and the other again my body and it is
              the perfect distance for stitching. I like that I can see the needle point as I put a little pressure on the under side with the point
              and get it to where I want to come up. I took a couple pictures. Still need a lot of practice, but it is way more comfortable for
              me. Also, I stitch toward my body, not right to left as they suggest. Anyone else find the easier to gauge the length of their stitches by seeing it come toward you. HelenW

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO ENLARGE IT.

Comment

Hi, I was wondering if Alex could talk more about how she finished this type on project and then how to put on a painted canvas. Thanks

Comment

I decided to make mine seasonal and embroider snowflakes. I'm off to a slow start however.
                  Luanne Roberts

Comment

• Linda L. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s such a great idea. Very nice

• Francy I. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is really pretty. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Thank you Alex for helping us get our creativity jump started. I decided to sew along and do some embroidery like I used to (back in the 70's). I used some scraps of fabric that have been in my stash for decades.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 840 users online. 495 members and 345 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 04:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,010   Posts: 151,026   Members: 21908   Active Members: 2,167  
                  Welcome to our newest member, Dorothy Borders-dorrieborders.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X