Collapse

Our Sponsors

Make it your own embroidery class -- show your work

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do a lot of embroidery but have never worked on silk before, so this is exciting. I couldn’t find the fabric prep in the UK so used fine iron on vilene. I went round the edge of the piece with the overlocker to prevent fraying as I work. I have done several Sue Spargo patterns and have her books and am looking forward to lots of stitching.

Comment

Excited to be here! Still waiting for my silk (it's shipped just held up in the delivery process). So I found these old hand-dyed button covers and started adding stitches. I have a whole bag of these and they are perfect for practice! :-)

Being new to embroidery, I didn't realize I should have two threads. Oops.

Comment

Besides the neutral fabric kit I added things I had, white linen, champagne silk charmeuse, white radiance, and a tan wool. I'm happy with they way it turned out thought it was a bear to piece with the different fabrics. Now to get some time to work on the embroidery. Alex, thanks for the inspiration! Click image for larger version

Name:	Winding Way flimsy.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	889874

Comment

Here is my photo! Are my stitches to tight?

Comment

Finally got the background finished. The stitching is challenging my skills.

Comment

If denim is used does it have to be stabilized.

Comment

I started working this afternoon… all cozy with a hot cup of chai latte and sitting under my Christmas throw with my lap app and embroidery supplies around me. Aaaaaaahhhhhhh…. So delightful! I got these 3 circles completed. I used the outline stitch, the chain stitch, and did a double daisy stitch on the smallest circle. I love it!

Comment

My Lazy Daisy and Colonial knot stitches. Thank you Carole B for saying you like it better than a french knot. I found easy is to learn.
                  HelenW

Comment

• Sandy F. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your butterfly is beautiful. Now I am off to see difference between French Knot (which I am familiar with) and a Colonial Knot.

Originally posted by Mimicat View Post
                  Here is my photo! Are my stitches to tight?
                  Mimicat, Your stitches look great. Not too tight. No puckering that I can see. HelenW

Comment

Hi Rose from Philly here! I'm still waiting for my fabric to arrive, but in the meantime, I'm working on some cute Christmas embroidery. Sparkly snowpeople with crayon enhancement... and a piece from years ago... still not quilted. Alex will recognize the designs and some of the fabrics. Sorry, seems that one of the pics got turned around

Comment

Originally posted by sandytn View Post
                      Your butterfly is beautiful. Now I am off to see difference between French Knot (which I am familiar with) and a Colonial Knot.
                      Sandy, I googled how to do a Colonial Knot in hand embroidery and the video by Sarah Homphray was the easiest to learn. Mary Corbet also does an excellent job of
                      demonstrating stitches. I have been binge watching Sarah Homphray Embroidery. I feel like a sponge. There is so much I don't know. HelenW
                      Last edited by Helen W.; 12-17-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        Hi Rose from Philly here! I'm still waiting for my fabric to arrive, but in the meantime, I'm working on some cute Christmas embroidery. Sparkly snowpeople with crayon enhancement... and a piece from years ago... still not quilted. Alex will recognize the designs and some of the fabrics. Sorry, seems that one of the pics got turned around
                        Rose from Philly, What cute snow people blocks. Is that a Crabapple Hill pattern? I did Hook, Line and Sinker but applique and by machine. Now that I am learning hand embroidery I will be going back and looking at their patterns with new eyes. HelenW

Comment

• Rose M. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Helen W. Yes the pattern is from Crabapple Hill. They have a gingerbread house set that is too cute and I believe they have a witch series... Just fun things !

Finally started

Comment

If all goes well this will be a new rectangular pillow for my bed. I found some felt "buttons" in my stash and decided to try out some placements inside and out of circles. See Christen Brown's photos for ideas of how to incorporate. Notice how I stored my thread- Thanks to Lilo Bowman for suggestion to use 18-count clear egg carton. Brilliant!!!
                          I searched "embroidered mandalas" on Pinterest and found lots of ideas for combining and expanding the simple stitches we are learning from Alex.

Comment

• kemopuzzle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great idea about the embroidered mandalas. I like how you did your background in stripes
                          This reply by CarrieG has been deleted by CarrieG

I made a lot of progress today while my husband had a procedure done. I definitely made it my own with my initial on it! Pleased with how the 'C' turned out. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211216_183144.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	889933
                          Attached Files
                          Carol in SW Michigan

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1422 users online. 1090 members and 332 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,957   Posts: 150,388   Members: 20947   Active Members: 1,688  
                        Welcome to our newest member, Jan Harper-dmdharper.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                        X