Collapse

Our Sponsors

Make it your own embroidery class -- show your work

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making progress with embroidery on circles. Using stem stitch with purple Presencia size 8 thread. The background is a variety of Moda Grunge. I've been using Moda Grunge with my embroidery projects for the last 6 months. It's easy to stitch through and leaves an interesting shadowing. My background is 20 inches square. It could end up being a pillow, wallhanging, or used in a bag. We'll see! Happy Stitching, All!
    Karla from Maryland
    Last edited by Karla W.; 12-10-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

working on circles and ovals. From Toni Johnson

Comment

Prior to zig zag on all machines. we used masking tape to cover the edges.

Comment

I learned that the Outline Stitch was made holding the thread above the needle, allowing it to flow around a circular shape and the Stem Stitch was made holding the thread below the needle making a straighter line. Also, a great resource is Ariane Zurcher’s YouTube channel On the Other Hand for those who are visual learners. She is left handed so many of the stitches are demonstrated that way. Hope this is helpful.

Comment

• kemopuzzle commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes Ariana is amazing. Her videos are so helpful

Click image for larger version

Name:	86703F60-B364-45A4-8F00-75D5CD4B8172.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	889694 Finally got my background pieced and starting the embroidery tonight.
          Last edited by Lisa E.; 12-11-2021, 03:24 AM.

Comment

This reply by Lisaespanol has been deleted by Lisaespanol

Click image for larger version

Name:	979FAA51-5EE1-4C1C-8B02-75FC83F0ED8A.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	889693

Originally posted by littlestitches View Post
            What size is your background? What size was the length of the block to start? I am having a hard time figuring it out to cut.. I like your layout.. not to complicated.. Thank you
            Yolanda, I just posted a sample for you on the ask question sections. Check it out. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by owasyleczko View Post
              I learned that the Outline Stitch was made holding the thread above the needle, allowing it to flow around a circular shape and the Stem Stitch was made holding the thread below the needle making a straighter line. Also, a great resource is Ariane Zurcher’s YouTube channel On the Other Hand for those who are visual learners. She is left handed so many of the stitches are demonstrated that way. Hope this is helpful.
              I just ran into her you tube channel last week and she is a wealth of information. ALL LEFT HANDED QUILTERS SHOULD GO TO IT FOR
              A REAL VERSION OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AND NOT HAVE TO MIRROR IMAGE THE RIGHT HANDED PEOPLE. HelenW

Comment

My shades of gray are going to have black silhouettes that I do my embroidery stitching on in DMC floss. Everything is coming from my stash on this one. The silhouettes are raw edge fusible with steam a seam lite. Nothing fused down yet still thinking about placement. I have one print gray fabric that I wanted to include, but will need to play around with a circular shape that is appliquéd to the other background if I use it. May just go with this.
                I am having fun and I have not even started stitching yet!!! HelenW

CLICK ON PICTURE TO SEE THE FULL BACKGROUND

Comment

• Paula S. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really like this idea!
                This reply by [email protected] has been deleted by [email protected]

I loved my process but not the result.. I may go back for some prettier colors. I pieced it like it was a functional paper piecing project. The back is a piece of cotton and all seams are enclosed, except the outside edges which I will tape. No fusible.
                Attached Files

I loved my process but not the result.. I may go back for some prettier colors. I pieced it like it was a functional paper piecing project. The back is a piece of cotton and all seams are enclosed, except the outside edges which I will tape. No fusible.
                Last edited by Paula S.; 12-11-2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Noella D. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice work putting your fabrics together here. I love that tiny dark strip. And the purple! Are these your colors, from your stash? Lovely, the embroidery will look great on this!

• Paula S. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Noelle D., I bought 5 1/8 yard pieces at the local fabric discount store. I am liking it better as I add the embroidery.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                Try again to post your pictures. You may have to change the size to smaller. I would love to see it. HelenW

Comment

• |
                  This comment by [email protected] has been deleted by [email protected]

Paula S. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Post 38 are my pictures... Sorry, I am new to the website

I am loving working with the silk and the floss from the kit. I have embroidered, cross stitched & done redwork for decades, off and on. I am making my stitches smaller than I usually do with redwork and it really makes a better result. I have to use a hoop.
                Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Noella D. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I see here that you made your stiches really small, they are beautiful! This way you make it around the circle without the stitches being wobbly, like mine. I guess I’ll have to make mine smaller. (Sigh!) Thanks for sharing!

I am loving this class. No pressure, no negative comments, but also still no stuff!
                My project supplies are still caught up somewhere in the US.

While I am waiting, I am assembling a practice piece and embroidering on it, a piece of fabric given to me by my good friend Francine B. I already had floss and embroidery needles, a lap desk, and a lot of the other stuff in my stash that I have built up by trying any and all techniques, over the years, that embellishes fabrics. I can’t wait for the “brights” kit that inludes the varigated threads by Wonderfil.
                In my photo I was auditioning fabrics to add a border that includes more colours so that if I use some colours in the embroidery part they are harmonious with the rest. I drew some motifs using iron off pens. Motifs that I thought would go well for the embroidery.

Make sure to make the photo full size to see all the pretty colours!
                Noella
                Last edited by Noella D.; 12-12-2021, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Linda L. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Noella, this is lovely!

One planned. One not. They are smooth; just poorly photographed. Very hard for me even with 50 years of quilting experience. Age??

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1230 users online. 607 members and 623 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,336 at 06:30 PM on 06-14-2021.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,885   Posts: 149,682   Members: 19949   Active Members: 3,323  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                X