Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Quilt Studio Lighting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Studio Lighting

New Year, New Home. What is the best lighting for a quilt studio? I have a cutting station, sewing station, design wall and lightbox station - all in 11x11 space. Looking for lighting tips.

Congrats on your new studio! While good lighting is quite a necessity, I would recommend that you speak to someone knowledgeable about it. The main concern, I would think, would be sufficient light without heating up the room. Some can put out an incredible amount of heat. Perhaps flourescents? Talk to someone who sells lighting for the best solutions.

Comment

Alex probably can answer this--I really like her studio's white walls and many windows, too.

Comment

Instead of floursecents, I would go with the daylight bulbs. That's what I use and they are great.

Comment

Congratulations on your new studio! The "Winter 2009/2010" issue of "Studios" magazine (by Cloth Paper Scissors) has a whole article about how to choose the best studio lighting. My Joann's has this magazine but I'm not sure if the new one has come out yet. Have fun!

Comment

Try to find someone who can advise you about the glare that the lights will put out also.

Comment

Also be very careful with halogens. They get very hot and can burn holes in fabric.
              eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I also use daylight bulbs. They are great!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I do have haligen (now how do you really spell that?) cans in my room. that is the purest light you can get. Yes, they do get very hot. sometimes in the winter I have to open the sliding door because of it. I also have sky lights and i LOVE them - that is the best light of all. I didn't want florescent because they are not a pure light and to me they seem to vibrate - i am not sure there is a perfect answer to this one. Margarita and Joe have an opinion on this - I hope they check in. What ever the case, open up your pocket book - that is for sure.

Comment

I have lots of can lights (not halogen) and my work area is very light. Wish I had skylights, but can't get that in a basement. I do have my sewing table near a window. Plus I have an Ott light by my sewing machine. When I have quilting retreats here and we get about 5 or 6 ladies sewing in that area, the room gets pretty warm with all those lights on and machines running (my DH has made a few comments about all the hot air lol).

Comment

We have florescent daylight bulbs in ceiling cans, these are 23 watts. Five of them light a large studio like daylight. We got them from http://www.energydimensions.com.

I really like the way they light up my Studio.

Margarita in Auburn, CA

Forgot to add that they do not get hot, so no heating of the studio.

Margarita in Auburn, CA

Comment

I just installed a new light in my sewing studio.
                        It is a bowl light that sits about 8 inches from the ceiling. The light coming straight down is filtered by the white glass bowl and the rest reflects off of the ceiling. The guy at the hardware store recommended using the compact fluorescent bulbs for the fixture. He said as long as the wattage consumed didn't exceed the maximum you could put in higher light output bulbs. I took that a step further and put in daylight bulbs.
                        Let me tell you, the first time I turned it on at night I just about blinded myself :lol: (Note to self do not look at light fixture when turning the light on!)

Jean in Windsor, ON

Comment

Hi - I have the same question - what lights to use, how many foot candles and lumens? It is 2022 so now we have LED panels - how many do I need? The new studio is almost 18 x 16 feet, in a basement, small window minimal day light, 8 foot ceiling. Thanks!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1365 users online. 255 members and 1110 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,774   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,499  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Best batting for art quilting.
                            Helen W. Thank you so very much for you messages! Wow they are so helpful. Some answers. The quilt is due May 4. The finished...
                            Susan D. Do you know how to do any hand embroidery stitches. If you look at my coloring book
                            page hanging above your...
                            Susan D, I do use warm and natural batting most of the time. Whether to quilt first or after the applique is on depends...
                          • MONTH 3 -- Show Your Progress Here
                            Alice I love your ideas here. It gives a whole different look to the quilt.
                            I have also been experimenting with some alternate choices. if you enlarge the photo there are 2 pictures to see. They aren't...
                            Helen I am sorry for jumping on this post. I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't. I am working on this wall...
                          • MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here
                            I think you mean the Month 2 Block 1 blocks. There are 3 things we can do wrong when piecing blocks: the cutting, sewing,...
                            Jennifer, Could you post a picture of your 4 blocks that make up the center star? This was discussed in month 1 several...
                            Help! My Block 1 blocks are all too small by about 1/2". Any suggestions to correct the sizing? I can not bear to...
                            An alternate block idea...
                          • COLORING PAGE Available
                            Hi. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have been doing some travelling. I would love to share but the drawing is...
                          • Need advice re: bobbin quilting
                            Kati, Is the picture on your posting name the parrot? Pretty bird. Glad you got your quilt basted. I am using
                            Invisafil...
                          • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X