Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loise98
    Thanks Nancy, I have been so psyched to try this but I didn't want to be stealing your design. I need to wait until I start adding some of the more graphic fabrics to the mix which will come with the stars and log cabin blocks to see what I would want to put in those amazing sashes. So I am asking official permission to use your design. Please? This is FUN!!
    Lois - You are always welcome to use anything that I post! This frame is actually one of the ones that comes with EQ7, so it's not even mine. Have fun!!
    Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by crocus999
      Just to make sure, since it sounds like you haven't dropped them before, did you try sewing after pushing the button to put them in the up position? You probably already know this, but thought I check just in case. On my machines, you push the "feed dogs down" button again to put them in the up position, but they don't actually move until your first stitch. You probably tried this, but wanted to make sure just in case.

Well, Thanks a million, Nancy. I tried what you suggested, and I guess that you can tell I'm out of my comfort zone now. It worked! Guess I should read the manual that came with the machine. .... I didn't " 'probably already know this, or "try this" '. Which is one reason why I love this forum and all the sharing and learning that goes on, and we get pushed beyond our level. I think it may be at at least another decade until I can produce 'an artistic statement' as Rosemary told us about!
      Thanks to Lois, I'm in the uncomfortable zone of FMQ, but I imagine, like most things, it improves with practice, practice, practice. At least I took the jump!
      I'm SO glad that was it! I hate being without my favorite sewing machine! Enjoy the FMQ. Although I still stress over the designs, I've gotten to really love FMQ!

Nancy

Comment

I did a little redesign on my quilt layout. I wanted to use more of the leaf print on the front. Thanks to Nancy's inspirational blocks, I twisted some of the blocks for a different look. I've already made the square-in-a-square blocks. Just 24 twisted blocks to go and the quilt will be ready to assemble. Too bad my design wall is packed away. I will have to wait to lay it out on the floor on the day I plan to put it together. My goal was to have the sewing done this week but it looks like I will have to find a few more hours next week to finish the blocks and maybe take a day for assembly. I have to get back to my cleaning and packing.

Comment

Annis - I LOVE it!

Nancy

Comment

Thanks Rosemary that ways worked for me for the four squares going together

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Yankee Puzzle blocks finished! Pyh; that was tough going :shock: but after 6 different ways of doing them I have now found what works for me which is what it is all about. I can't say I have taken to this block but I can see it can be a good block to use for blending different fabrics. It was great fun to make the last 2 which are not at all up to standard because it was leftovers from cutting, a bit like the last biscuit dough that gets sculpted into all sorts of interesting biscuits. They always taste the best (can you tell I've been baking this morning?
              Thank you, Renata, for showing us how to get a secondary pattern out of this block and everybody who shared the different ways of making it up. I am now looking forward to tackling the Flying Geese in the Sawtooth Star block that is the next challenge. I am sure there are several different ways of doing those too :roll: :lol:

Marianne

Comment

Great job, Marianne! They look great!

Yes, it seems like there might be more ways of doing flying geese blocks than any other blocks I've ever seen. It will be interesting to see what everyone does with those!

Nancy

Comment

Thank you, Nancy
                  So far I have found 3 different ways apart from what I think must be the traditional way of doing them. Add to that the different ways of pressing - that should keep us out of trouble for the next week
                  Marianne

Comment

That was a good lesson for week 4. Once I got the right measurement for the squares everything worked well. If you are making these exact be skimpy with your seam allowance or the flying geese blocks may be a little small. This is how I did my last set. I cut them oversized, adding 1/4" to each measurement (adding 1/8" would also work but it's easier for me to trim off the extra 1/8" than a 1/16"). So my cut sizes were 4-1/2" and 2-5/8".

I didn't like the extra fabric that got caught in the tips of the geese so I trimmed it off before sewing. Place the blocks on the corners of the larger square and measure the amount that overlaps.

For my oversized blocks I needed to trim 3/4" triangles off the tips. When adding 1/8" just trim 5/8". It is necessary to trim for the oversized blocks because some of that excess fabric may end up on the front of your finished block. Ask me how I know.

And if you are cutting exact and want to trim that excess, trim off 1/2". Place a square ruler as shown for this block size only if you don't have a triangle ruler.

Comment

Mark down the center if you haven't already and sew.

Cut and press.

Mark and sew again. Cut and press. Do not trim triangles off the corners of the squares for this step.

Comment

Square the finished blocks using a ruler with marks at the 1/4" lines. Or use a specialty ruler made for flying geese if you have one.

During assembly I measured after every addition to make sure my seams were accurate. I did do a little resewing next to the first sewing line but didn't have to do any unsewing. My finished blocks were close enough.

Comment

Thank you for the photos, Annis, and the trick of cutting the corners off the squares if we want to make the geese slightly larger than need be. Something I intend to do after my QST trials last week. Easier to cut a bit off than add to :wink:
                          Looking forward to getting stuck in tomorrow.
                          Marianne
                          PS I like how you have fuzzy-cut the centres of the star block.

Comment

Whoo-hoo, I'm nearly as famous as twiglet 8) - my pinwheels have been featured in the TQS newsletter, but without my name

Previous to this I would have said that I was just notorious :lol: :P :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                              Whoo-hoo, I'm nearly as famous as twiglet 8) - my pinwheels have been featured in the TQS newsletter, but without my name

Previous to this I would have said that I was just notorious :lol: :P :lol:
                              Or infamous and notorious. 8)

Comment

Beautiful blocks, Annis! I love the fussy-cut sunflowers!

Congratulations, Rosemary! I haven't gotten to the newsletter yet, but will now!

Nancy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2209 users online. 283 members and 1926 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X