Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a nice evening last night at the quilt guild meeting with different members demonstrating different tools and techniques, I decided to finish the day starting my blocks for this week. I need 48 for my design. That's a lot of triangles to cut. I decided to strip piece these instead. This of course resulted in the bias on the outside edge. Just don't tell the quilt police. That's the look I wanted using the one way print and plaid. I could have cut the strips on the bias instead of the straight grain but that's not what I did. Cutting on the straight grain is faster and easier and I was really careful when pressing that I did not slide my iron. Just the edge of the iron caught the seam allowance and I used lots of steam and no starch. It would probably be good to starch when using this method if you are a beginner, especially that stretchy plaid. I took a few pictures along the way but not enough to do detailed instructions so this is just a quick summary of how I pieced my blocks.

I cut strips of fabric 3-1/4" wide x 42", 4 strips of the dark and 2 each of each light. I cut these in half for more manageable widths, then sewed them into 2 strip sets, a different light in each. These should be no longer than 24" for easier cutting in the next step. (Note: To get the strip width I divided the measurement of the finished diagonal of the 3" block by 2 and added 1-1/8". That should work for all block sizes.)

After pressing all of the seams to the dark, I layered the strip sets right sides together, with dark over light and cut them again into 3-1/4" strips (see above), resulting in 6 strip sets ready to pin and sew into tubes. Each layered strip set makes 8 blocks. (How many strips of fabric you sew together determines how many blocks you get from each strip set.) I only took the time to pin on one side of the seam, the side that is sewn last so the pin won't be pulled until the seam is sewn. That was a lot of pinning. I know I often pin backwards to what is recommended but I like to be able to pull the pin with my right hand at the last second and use it as an awl until I reach the next pin. I do pin the other direction usually when matching the center of pinwheel blocks, etc. And I should have put that stretchy plaid on the bottom when sewing.

After the strip sets are sewn into tubes I set all of the seams. Now most of my sewing is done. I just have to sew the triangle pairs on each end of the strip sets together. I square the straight edge first before sewing these, and press to the light so all of my seams will twirl in the same direction. I'm using my Bias Edge ruler to cut these but you can use any ruler that has a diagonal line to line up with the seam. I just happen to have a box full of these that haven't made it to any stores yet as I'm not actively demoing them which is required to sell them and the stores don't take the time to demo them either. When I get in my new house I may put together a workshop using the ruler for my classroom.

Comment

These are the end triangle pairs ready to sew together.

I used a Precision Trimmer to square the blocks. The extra fabric from the seams at the corners of the blocks disappears when they are trimmed.

And when sewing the blocks together, I twirl my seams again to the dark or whichever direction gives the least bulk. I seldom have to use a seam ripper to remove the few stitches. I just grab the seam on each side of the center with my fingers and twist and the seam usually pops right open. When there are more then 4 seams joining you have to twist a little harder. I still have a lot of blocks left to square. They will have to wait until later.

Comment

Another good method that saves time when you have lots of triangles to do... thanks Annis!

Comment

Looking good all of you and thanks for trying all the techniques and posting pictures I'll get round to doing them before next wednesday.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

WOW! Lois your photos make it all crystal clear! Thanks so much for doing that!

I would love for you to add your photos to the list of my videos. Just post the same stuff there that you did on this forum topic.
            I'm not aware of a shortcut way to do it though. :?

http://forum/the-classrooms-discussi...ssorted-videos

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hello Ladies! Everybody is doing great, and keeping in schedule. I'm a little behind ( ok a lot ops: ops: ops: )

We just came back from vacation over a week ago and my DD started school this past week. But I have been "planning" my sampler. I shopped my stash and got my fabrics pretty much figured out but, while looking for one more fabric I came across a bunch of Halloween fabrics that have collected wanting to make a Halloween quilt and didn't got to it. So I decided to make a Halloween sampler.

Here's a picture of my fabrics

This is an EQ7 draft of the layout for my quilt.

As you can see there's an extra block that I'm adding. got it from http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/inkli...lectric-quilt/

The background it's going to be an antique ivory color, the center is the panel shown in the fabric's photo. The rest will be the assorted Halloween motifs fabrics. The 3 frames will be the actual color shown in the quilt layout photo. So far that's the plan, although I love yellow and really like the look of the quilt with yellow and white and a splash of color on the frames. Can you tell? :idea: :idea: :idea: already getting ideas for yet one more project ops: ops: ops: .

Well, guess I'd better start cutting and sewing.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Limbania - Your quilt is going to be wonderful! I can't wait to see the blocks as you make them.

Nancy

Comment

That looks wonderful, what a great 'take' on combining the original sampler quilt and your languishing (or is that maturing?)halloween fabrics.

Comment

Oooh can't wait to see it.

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

What a great take on the Laura Nownes sampler and great idea to use Halloween fabrics, Limbania! I might just have to adopt your idea, ¿con permiso?

Comment

8) Most definitely Renata! You or anybody else that wants to use the layout also, are most welcome to do so. you can e-mail me and I'd be happy to send you the EQ7 file if you want it.

Comment

Limbania, I love your yellow quilt idea. And I love the halloween fabrics too. I look forward to seeing this one unfold.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Laura! Glad you were able to get back into your account and join the lively discussion. This thread has taken on a life of its own and, as you probably can tell, we are all enjoying your class, some are taking a different spin on the sampler, others sticking to the classroom instructions and yet others trying different ways of making the same block, then comparing and contrasting methods for personal preference. Some, like me, are asking for a little more help; others are sharing their knowledge and expertise. Look forward to your thoughts and ideas as you read through the thread and hope you enjoy the group as much as we enjoy the camaraderie here.

Comment

Hello Everyone!
                                I'm sorry to have been so out of touch. I just found out about this forum and after dealing with a glitch, am finally able to join you. I am excited to see that so many of you are participating in this new class.

If you have any questions, please submit your question as a comment in the specific Lesson in the Classroom itself. I will check in to the Classroom regularly and answer asap. Please feel free to let me know how I can assist you. I am here and happy to help.

Happy Quilting.
                                Laura

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2257 users online. 266 members and 1991 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,300  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Vicki Robles-csadrbls80.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X