Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Laura Nownes

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anyone else that does not put their index finger on top of the cutter when rotary cutting and why is it important to do it that way? I tried it but didn't feel like I had as much control. I've always cut with all fingers underneath the cutter and the thumb to the side. It's too late to change now. I think my finger would start hurting pretty quickly and maybe I'm slightly double jointed as the tip of my finger turns up when cutting that way.

I'm liking your fabric choices so far. Keep them coming.

Comment

I don't. I also am very double jointed and would not have as much control either.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
      Betty Jo

Comment

I don't hold my rotary cutter with either the index finger on top or the thumb holding any part of the cutter. I have a Martelli rotary cutter and it is designed so that you wrap your middle, index and little fingers around the handle and the handle stays snug against the palm of my hand. I'm not using my fingers to push the rotary cutter forward--all the pushing action is coming from the palm of my hand. As a result, less pressure on my joints and I can plough through several layers of fabric without pushing down hard because the palm of my hand is pushing the rotary cutter forward. This is part of the reason my blades last a whole lot longer too. I tried both the Dritz and Olfa cutters but LOVE my Martelli. Of course, if you are not familiar with it, this rotary cutter also does not look like a conventional one. However, it is the design of the rotary cutter that makes me not use my index finger on top of it.

Comment

I tried one of those at quilt festival and didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I might check it out again this year. Sometimes you need to try something more than once. I guess it's whatever you get used to.

Comment

I'm going to be behind from the go-get, I had a friend come over yesterday so we could discuss and sort out pattern drafting (skirt for me & blouse for her). Today Izzy & I are have a girls day out, I want to get my skirt cut out, and we have to pack for going away tomorrow lunchtime and won't be back until a week Sunday. Hey-ho, we will just have to see how things go. (And my lovely stack of starched fabrics got moved to a safe place & I cannot see them now :lol: )

Comment

Renata, that cutter looks interesting, I haven't seen them here yet. But I do use my index finger on the top of my cutter and don't have any problems, yet! My difficulty is that I get a sore wrist from holding the ruler down on my left thumb joint (it's arthritic damn it! :x ). So if I am doing a lot of cutting for a big quilt (like the spools one) it can end up very sore from the pressure.

Rosemary are you going somewhere nice?

Comment

Rita, I think you would really like the Martelli ruler. It is ergonoically deigned to be more comfortable to use and easier on joints. I really like mine.

Renata, they do recommend the first finger on top of the cutter but you apply pressure with the heel of your hand instead of your wrist.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I use the regular Olfa cutter with my index finger on top. It never occurred to me to put my index finger anywhere else so I haven't tried it that way. But this way works for me and it seems like it would give you a bit more control since you would be applying some pressure closer to the blade, but I don't know if that's true. I've never tried the Martelli cutter so will have to do that sometime. I'll also have to look at the Martelli rulers. Sounds interesting. And I certainly love my Martelli clips that I use when binding!

I cut a bunch of squares last night and made one 9-patch. I'm going to be making all of my patches different so won't be using any strip piecing. I had some trouble getting started since my Oliso iron decided to completely die last night (ironic after riding in the airport shuttle with a very annoying Oliso salesperson on the way to Long Beach!) so I had to throw it away and get out my Velocity iron that I had bought a while ago in anticipation of this day. But I'll get all of my blocks done this weekend and will post a picture!

Nancy

Comment

Rita, Martelli has addressed your left thumb problem with their nonslip rulers. They are quite expensive and are not transparent like we are accustomed to, but hold the fabric in place without slipping so that you don't have to press down hard on the ruler while cutting. I cannot comment on them, however, because I've only seen their demo but never tried it myself.

Mr. Martelli is a problem solver. He designed the original Martelli rotary cutter for his mother who was having difficulty with the conventional rotary cutter because of severe arthritis as she was getting older. I have to say that my wrist is never tired no matter how many pieces I cut with this rotary cutter. Because of the design, he made one for left-handed users and one for right handed. I know people at the Martelli booth at quilt shows recommend you place your index finger over the top of the cutter but it is only for comfort, not for function. Customers who were still using the index finger to push the blade through the fabric were then bringing back the rotary cutter because they thought it did not work. This year, Martelli has redesigned the handle to force you to hold the cutter snugly against the heel of your hand with your middle, ring finger and pinky so that you WILL push with the heel of your hand and not try to involve the index finger on top.

I spent some time earlier this year with a member of the Martelli family who has a slightly different take on how to make the point on using their cutters. The first point is that you would never use your fingers to push a car (if your battery was dead). You would put the palms of your hands on the trunk and then push with the heel of your hand. The same principle goes for this rotary cutter. The second point is that, as a result, you don't need either the thumb or index finger to do anything. Without touching the rotary cutter with either your thumb or index finger, if you use the heel of your hand alone to push, you will be able to do it with less effort and a straighter cut. When you put your index finger on top is just decoration, a place to put your finger for personal comfort but it has no function. The redesign of the handle should make it easier for one not to try and push with both palm and index finger. This explanation made better sense to me than anything I had heard to-date. I've actually tried the new design and it makes it more difficult for you to hold the rotary cutter in your hand incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                      Renata, that cutter looks interesting, I haven't seen them here yet. But I do use my index finger on the top of my cutter and don't have any problems, yet! My difficulty is that I get a sore wrist from holding the ruler down on my left thumb joint (it's arthritic damn it! :x ). So if I am doing a lot of cutting for a big quilt (like the spools one) it can end up very sore from the pressure.

Rosemary are you going somewhere nice?
                      Rita, I use the same cutter as Renata because of wrist and hand difficulties (arthritis) and I love it. It is just way easier for me to grasp. My SIL just got me a suction handle to use on my rulers but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Don't feel sorry for me being lonely. I said I felt lonely "for" my sewing room because I hadn't been there recently. There is a local guild in the next town from me but they meet on Sunday afternoons and that's time I spend with my extended family. I never feel lonely when I am sewing. Just always on the lookout for someone to join me in my addiction. LOL

Comment

Renata, Just checked. My index finger rests on top, and yes I am pushing with the palm or heel of my hand. I think I rest my forefinger on top because the tool fits into my hand better that way. Haven't used my other rotary cutters since I got this one. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
                          Renata, Just checked. My index finger rests on top, and yes I am pushing with the palm or heel of my hand. I think I rest my forefinger on top because the tool fits into my hand better that way. Haven't used my other rotary cutters since I got this one. I love it!
                          Isn't it wonderful, Lois? My sister gave me mine as a gift when I first started because that is what she uses too and I was never able to get used to any of the other rotary cutters (and I've bought a few of the different brands) on the market after I tried this one. I also find that because there is no stress downward onto the blade, the blades last longer. Glad to know there are others like you and Margo who love their Martelli.

Comment

I will definitely look at the Martelli cutter again since they improved the design. It's been a few years since I tried it. Currently I'm using the Olfa ergonomic cutter. I can cut for a long time without getting tired. I will try my finger on top again without using so much pressure and see if that helps. Right now I don't have any cutting to do. I'm actually tearing my fabric and repurposing the curtains in my DH's den. These will be finished this week and then back to the cleaning and shopping for the new home.

Comment

I was right. My fabric was perfect for pressing first thing this morning. Rosemary, leaving the starch to soak into the fibers and dry overnight made the fabric heaven to press. I can hardly believe how quickly I accomplished that task. Next time I will not hang the fabric on a clothesline with a dip in it from the weight of the wet fabric. Some of the longer pieces got a bit distorted. I'll either divise a way to pull the line tight and straight or use a drying rack. As for fabric choices this is a start. I followed Laura's advice and picked a focus fabric and used it as a basis for my choices. It's the one on the upper left. The focus fabric may or may not become the border for this quilt. I was considering using the green as the background fabric but then I remembered I got a yard of Ricky Tim's miracle fabric (varigated pastels) and it is now being prewash and will also be taken into consideration. The miracle fabric is the one that lights up Ricky's Dad's Lone Star if you remember that quilt. I think it is often on the set for TQS.
                              Time to do some cutting.

Comment

Those fabrics are lovely Lois.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2574 users online. 349 members and 2225 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,314  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X