Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Patsie Thompson's free motion classroom

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patsie Thompson's free motion classroom

I just watched all of Patsie's available free motion classes. They are really interesting. The latest one is especially neat...I never thought of using heavy braid as a design element. I'll really be interested to see how she ends up quilting the beauty she just demonstrated on. Thanks, Patsie!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
    Betty Jo

I've just finished watching them just 2 years after you Betty Jo. I'm itching to start free motion feathering when my sewing machine is back from being repaired. She makes it all look so effortless and beautiful. I've tried in the past and end up with a botched job but now I feel I have the tips to make a reasonable job of it. I'm going to prepare some sandwiches ready to make into a book of freemotion designs for my reference and practice.

I don't know if you check here Patsy but thank you

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Wendy I found these classes so useful too when I joined last year. I doubt that Patsy checks the forum but you could send her an email via her profile here on TQS. If you look her up as a member when you scroll down the page there is a box where you can send an email to a member. I didn't see this thread before or I would have commented about it. As for cording, well I have been having fun using Carol Ann Waugh's technique from the las show too.

Comment

Hi Wendy - You can also contact Patsy at her Web site -- patsythompsondesigns.com. She has a great blog and sells all of her stuff. Her feathers book is the most beautiful book I own, and I'm a shameless collector of books (I probably have twice or three times as many books as my local guild).

Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
          Hi Wendy - You can also contact Patsy at her Web site -- patsythompsondesigns.com. She has a great blog and sells all of her stuff. Her feathers book is the most beautiful book I own, and I'm a shameless collector of books (I probably have twice or three times as many books as my local guild).

Nancy
          Patsy answers her blog site. I agree that she makes you understand feathers and other designs I like her style so much that I have all of her DVDs. She helped me learn to quilt feathers when others didn't get thru my brain. Maybe it is because I don't Iike to draw them first!

Coast of South Carolina USA
          Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

I've made a sample feather this afternoon and I am ridiculously pleased with it even though its got lots of errors.

Thank you for the info, I'll have a look at her website and blog.

Pam I had a look at your Lone Star Rose quilt. It's beautiful and I can see your beautiful feather quilting 8)

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by pamo65
              Patsy answers her blog site. I agree that she makes you understand feathers and other designs I like her style so much that I have all of her DVDs. She helped me learn to quilt feathers when others didn't get thru my brain. Maybe it is because I don't Iike to draw them first!
              I don't like drawing them first either. I'll check out her DVDs. Didn't know she had them...thanks for highlighting that. Cheers.

Betty Jo

Comment

Hi Betty Jo, I have one of her feathers DVD's and also her feather book. She really shows you how to make feathers of all types! After a while, it's hypnotic watching the DVD- i figure it's being imprinted on my brain. From my experience, drawing my quilting design on paper, even if it doesn't end up looking like my drawing, helps me figure out proportions and where the trouble spots are before i get into trouble on the sewing machine. I do love drawing feathers.

When watching patsy's DVD. I notice that she turns her fabric frequently. On a real quilt that's not practical. I learned to quilt in every direction so it's easier to keep the quilt oriented the same way for that area.

Yay feathers!
                Kathy

Comment

Kathy, My feathers stink, so I usually don't quilt them without fully marking them, but it's one of my challenges to myself to get them better. I think you're right it's hard to turn a quilt a lot so I will endeavor to include quilting in multiple directions as part of my quilting improvement (One of my goals for this year is to really get better with my traditional types of quilting).

Betty Jo

Comment

Hi Betty Jo - Working on the marked feathers is an excellent way to work towards the free-motion ones as it builds muscle and brain memory for the feathers. So I know you're well on your way to getting beautiful free motion feathers. I agree with Kathy, Patsy's videos are kind of zen-like and I love them. I have several and I think they are well worth the investment.

Nancy

Comment

Betty Jo, based on what you've showed us in your work, you are capable of doing anything! That includes solidifying your expertise in traditional quilting patterns. It's mostly a matter of practice, as we all know

I also love watching Ricky's quilt finishing DVD where he quilts feathers. they just seem to flow out of the needle!

Kathy

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2812 users online. 535 members and 2277 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X