Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

PFAFF performance 5.2 vs a BERNINA 550

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PFAFF performance 5.2 vs a BERNINA 550

thanks Nusiax , I'm more and more for the Pfaff, as there is also a large arm of 10 inches .
    I saw the last Bernina 720 but very expensive for my quilting level ; and the other Bernina's don't have this large arm.
    I know that Bernina is quality but Pfaff too is german quality
    will watch the retailer's deal.......
    by the way , may be you could give yr feeling with EQ7 after trial. later on...;. I have not yet upgrade my EQ6 ...
    scarlet26

I'm considering changing my machine but hesitate between the new PFAFF 5.2 and a BERNINA type 550 for quilter (720 is far much expensive..)
    is there some advices about each one ? thanks

Comment

The Bernina 550 is an older model no longer made. It does have BSR. And is a great machine. But it does not have thread snips or thread out sensors for bobbin or top thread and has limited stitches. And not upgrade for embroidery But it works beautifully

The Pfaff 5.2 is do all machine. This machine does not have e embroidery either. But it has sensors for everything 9mm stitches with side ways sewing for stitch widths up to 40mm. I actually like the FMQ settings better on the Pfaff. I was looking at the 5.2. But ended up with a 5.0 as I got a great deal. And the difference is the 5.2 had 8 more stitches if I remember correctly and the Pfaff has the wonderful IDT. In my opinion is better than Bernina Dual Feed

However on a different note the 550 is easier to travel with.

IN my opinion they are two different machines. The Pfaff is closer to a Bernina 770.

It is a personal choice and what you are looking for. Both are nice machines. But the Pfaff is a big has everything sew only machine. The Bernina is a solid small portable machine with BSR.

All the best in your decision

Comment

thanks a lot for this advice and comments. 2 points are interesting for me : I have a Brother innovis 1500(embroidery and sewing machine that I don't use anymore for quilting as I feel better with hand embroidery... ) and a Pfaff 2040 : I tried several times FMQ on the Brother and I'm not at ease with it as I'm with the "little" Pfaff ; and don't know why but I got better results.... second point is the IDT system which is great for sure
        so, thanks for yr answer. sincerely

Comment

Scarlet 26

Like you I prefer FMQ on my Pfaff even over the Bernina. But my Bernina does have a native ruler foot #72. So I do ruler work on my little Bernina.

And i can also use the Maxi Stitches on my Pfaff for simple straight line patterns for super fast quilting.

Comment

Hi, I'm reading your posts and find them very interesting. I have a Janome 7700 now. I have had several Berninas and my last Pfaff was a 7550. The board died in it
            finally and was told I couldn't get it fixed . I really miss Pfaff for the IDT and the stitch quality also. But it 's been so many years since I've looked at them that I don't know
            about the quality now. I don't know how the prices compare to Bernina today but I would probably be looking at a Pfaff 5.2 I only quilt and some garment sewing. Don't
            need embroidery machine. My last Bernina was 1630 with the trac ball. Gave it to my Grandaughter because it was always skipping stitches and was in for repair. My Pfaff
            was always my workhorse. I also use Juki for machine quilting. Love it.
            Are the new Pfaff's as durable as the old ones. I know that Pfaff is now consolidated with Singer, Viking and Pfaff. Wonder how that has affected their quality?
            I need at least a 10 in arm from needle to side of machine to work on. Just do not like the Janome 7700. It doesn't like to cross bulky intersections when piecing (8 pointed stars) and etc.
            Please excuse the long post.

Comment

Quiktnldy

Pfaff is a strange company. They are not what they used to be. Pfaff HV Singer are made in China now.

The machines are hit and miss. The pfaff creative vision series was a mess. Everyone had issues. The new creative sensation line seems to be okay.

The Pfaff Performance 5.2 seems to be doing okay. But it is old machine new software. The Performance 5.0 is rock solid people love them as I live mine.

My HV Topaz died and I replaced it today with a Janome MC12000. It seems like a great machine. Have friends that adore their Janome MC8000 and 9000 series.

I also was lucky my dealer really likes me. Gave me as a bonus a brand new in box Bernina Artista 200. Leftover. Going to use it for my workhorse small embroidery work. I really like lace embellishments on my quilts.

But everyone is different. I can not make the Bernina BSR work, but I can FMQ up a storm on my Pfaff P5

The best is to make a quilt sandwich or two and go try machines and keep trying.

Bernina is made in Thailand

Janome is made in Taiwan except for the high end machines they are still made in Japan.

Comment

Well big update. I had a HV Topaz 30 used mostly for embroidery. Well developed a few issues. Burnt out transformer and damages motor.

Well met with the owner of my favorite dealer. He made everything work. I walked out with not one replacement but two.

The main replacement is a Janome MC12000 demo never registered with box. For all my major embroidery and lace designs.

But for a workhorse just put stitches on the machine i got a new never registered in box Bernina Artista 200

So excited.

Comment

I have a small Bernina Activa 240 (No BSR and no snips) I thought I should get a machine with a bigger space for quilting so bought a Pfaff Performance 5. I cannot get used to FMQ on the Pfaff and turn to the little Bernina every time. The Pfaff now just gets used for piecing etc. Maybe I need to get an alternative foot for the Pfaff??

Comment

Interesting the Bernina 550 also does not have snips or thread sensors etc. The Pfaff performance 5 is more in line with a 790.

But a little 240 is a nice little machine. Enjoy.

Rob

Comment

I got a Pfaff EXPRESSION 4.2 : there is a little plastic foot for FMQ that is to clip as the other feet and the quilting seems easy.
                      I keep a former FMQ foot from another Pfaff that is ok too but needs to remove the upper part of the standard foot :BUT the retailer well explained that there is a position in the tool box near F1 on the face of the machine) to check in that case, as the movement for this foot is different (please check your book) : may be the 5.0 has the same options....

did you see the excellent video of THE VILLAGE SEWING on YouTube relative to the 5.0 ?
                      hope you'll succeed

Comment

Hi,
                        I am kind of new in both sewing and quilting, and I am taking a beginning level quilting class now. I have an old Pfaff sewing machine (Pfaff Hobbymatic 955) which I purchased from a local quilting store in Columbus, OH. I am considering of buying a new sewing machine now. Yesterday I visited two local quilting stores, and I am interested in the following sewing machines:
                        1. Janome Skyline S5 ;
                        2. Bernina 570QE ;
                        3. PFAFF Performance 5.2 ;
                        Which one should I buy?
                        Thanks,
                        Mary

Comment

Mary

What a huge question. All these machines are different, huge price and feature differences but all three are excellent machines. And really depends on which machine you actually prefer sewing on and what type of Sewing . I actually have all three brands.

Now are we discussing new Bernina 570 with Dual Feed and large Bobbins 9mm stitches or old model with 5.5mm stitches.

Bernina is small and fantastic for intricate piecing and applique. I actually have a better view and more control on my little Bernina 200. BUT many have issues quilting large projects on a Small Bernina. And the BSR is fantastic and amazing for FMQing.

Now if new type Bernina 570 then the difference between Pfaff is marginal except for size. But my go-to and favorite sewing machine is my Pfaff. It works for me. And does what I want and only machine that has not given me any problems. I prefer IDT over dual feed. And have used the Maxi Stitches to straight line Quilt several projects. Also the Pfaff has Heirloom stitches no in Bernina or Janome. And I like how the auto features work on the Pfaff.

Janome makes a fantastic machine. Tank shows no issues and usually less expensive with as many features. Acufeed is wonderful on long seams. And I find the straight stitch on my Janome to be the best.

But these machines are very capable. And would depend again which you like best and found easiest to use. Best dealer experience and price.

Let is know what you decide.

Rob

Comment

Dear Rob,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I am considering of BERNINA 570 QE sewing machine because I like good quality products, and BERNINA 570 QE: (1) are made in Switzerland, and use all metal parts (good quality); (2) have building in Dual Feed; (3) are Dual Voltage. If I pick up BERNINA, I might even go to its 770 QE, instead of 570 QE since I am considering to do the quilting.

I am considering of PFAFF Performance 5.2 because I like PFAFF sewing machine. My current sewing machine (it is also my first sewing machine) is an old PFAFF sewing machine, PFAFF Hobbymatic 955, made in Germany. I purchased it from a local quilting store in 2007. I like it. I have planed to buy another PFAFF one until I found about that: after 2006, Husqvarna Viking , PFAFF and Singer are all under SVP Worldwide . I also heard that PFAFF sewing machines are now made in China. I do have some concerns about the quality of PFAFF machines now.

I am considering Skyline S5 because its price and online review. But some customer complained that its Dual Feed is not as good as PFAFF' IDT. Since I have been using PFAFF's IDT from the first day of my sewing life, I wonder if I will miss PFAFF's IDT if I buy a Janome.

It is not an easy decision for me.

Mary

Comment

Rob,
                              In my previous message I forgot to mention what I plan to do with this new sewing machine. Making quilts is the only sewing I am doing. I enjoy the beautiful fabrics and like to make some quilts with them. I used to pay someone to do the quilting for me ( "Quilting by Check") , and I plan to do the quilting by myself now. I do not plan to do any embroidery so far.
                              Thanks,
                              Mary

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2103 users online. 246 members and 1857 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X