Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 9400

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 9400

Hi Joyce, I had a Janome 9400 for about 6 months, had previously used a 6600 and then an 8900. I still have the 6600, but traded in my 9400 for a Babylock Crescendo recently. The 9400 sews very well, it has a special throat plate and a quarter inch foot that make gorgeous seams. It has an interesting clear quilting foot that in some ways I liked. However, when I tried to precision quilt over some light trapunto, the foot didn't allow me to get very close to my desired line. The thing that persuaded me to trade this one in for a Babylock was the noises the servo motors make whenever starting to stitch, or stopping, or raising and lowering the presser foot. I tried out the Crescendo and liked it very much-it was much quieter and sews very well too. They are both heavy well built machines. The Janome has very small stitch length adjustment increments, the Babylock has stitch length adjustments of 0.5mm. Some small differences like that, but it really boils down to which machine you like to sew on better, I think. Kathy

Can anyone give me advice on a Janome Horizon Memory Craft 9400 Machine v Babylock Crescendo vs Bernina B770 ? I was told that Janome machines have terrible reviews but I can't find any reviews for them.

Comment

Thank you. Another machine I am considering is the Baby lock Crescendo. It looks so complicated . I get to sew with it on Wednesday. If you can give me any information on the Crescendo, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

I tested a Cresendo baby lock today. I liked how it did free motion quilting/ the lighting is great and i like the fact it is all white...easy to see. I liked the markings on the needle plate too..very easy to see. The gal who knows the machines well was not there today....that gal who was helping me was very limited in her knowlede of the machine. I got a basic feel for this machine.....i didn't get into the laser or the pen attachment...as i was lucky to be able to do straight stitches and free motion w/ the gal helping me.....it doesn't seem to have auto foot pressure up or down on it ...have to push the button each time..or at least that is what she showed me. Price quoted was $5149 and the extended warranty was $599.

Comment

Joyce, there is a way to have the presser foot automatically lift when you stop sewing, it's in the control panel settings. I keep mine under manual control but I've tried out the setting and it works fine. I like the laser, it's wonderful for walking foot quilting to keep from veering off the straight line. I also use the laser when sewing diagonal binding seams.

There are a few different ways to get a quarter inch seam, using different feet and different needle position settings. I've tried a few, you would need to find out what works for you. The fabric doesn't seem to pull away from the straight at the beginning and end of seams, which I've struggled with in the past. The Janome with the quarter inch foot and the special throat plate also works well for keeping the line straight all the way.

Babylock has lots of you tube videos demoing the crescendo, might be fun to look at some of those.

I definitely bonded with my Janome 6600, didn't really bond with the 8900 or the 9400, and I'm bonding with the Crescendo. It really comes down to spending some time with the machines and seeing how you like sewing on them. When I was debating over keeping the 9400 or getting the Crescendo, my dealer let me take the Crescendo home for a day to sew on it hmy: . That helped me make the decision.

Have fun playing, it's a lot of money to spend on a machine but worth doing. You'll be able to do about anything with either machine! Kathy

Comment

There is a new Facebook group for the Janome 9400, if you search for that particular group title, it should come up. If you can't find it, feel free to add me as a friend and I will add you to the group. My FB name is Sandi Elizabeth James.
            I am still trying to bond with my new 9400.
            Sandi

Comment

I've had a Janome Gem Gold for years and loved it so when the 9400 came out I bought one, expecting to love it. I don't. I've been extremely UNhappy with it. The dealer sent it back to Janome last year for repair. I don't know what they did but it still makes lousy stitches. The default tension setting is terrible. I'm trying to get someone with a 9400 to tell me what their machine has as default tension setting for the standard straight stitch for comparison. I dramatically increased the tension and eventually got a barely acceptable stitch. I dread sewing on it. I'm going to make a stitch sampler with contrasting threads in top and bobbin, then make an appointment with the owner of the shop and have a frank discussion about the machine and my options.

Comment

I to have had trouble with this machine. Has been back to the shop and the factory twice.the quarter inch settings on straight stitch and the patchwork. mode the thread kept breaking and missing stitches To get this machine i had to sell my 6600 oh what a mistake. I cant afford to replace it.At the moment it is going ok, but i get nervous every time i use it. Have the Jem and adore this little work horse..

Comment

The Janome 9400 has an amazing straight stitch. And I really like the way it sees. Also the Accufeed system is excellent for walking foot quilting. And the optional transparent 1/4 inch foot is great for precision piecing. However Janome is not good at forming heirloom stitches like candelwick and raised satin stitch. And the interface is a little difficult and incomplete as is the manual

I am.not a fan of the of the Babylock interface or the stitch quality. But never owned one my opinion demoing

My choice would be the Bernina 770. The machine is so smooth. Forms beautiful stitches. The large bobbins and ruler foot as well as BSR makes it a great quilting machine.

Comment

I bought a 9400 last October and until the other day was very happy with it. There are things I would like to be different certainly and the manual is pretty dismal but that goes for a lot of machines these days no matter which brand. I am taking mine in because the thread cutter suddenly will not cut the top thread - it cuts the bobbin all right and the needle threader is not impressive either - it is very hit and miss whether or not it works or not. Skipped stitches when going over intersecting seams happens too.
                    However I have had all the same problems with other brands of machines - Bernina, Husqvarna and further back Elna within warranty so I think all we can do is keep going back to the dealers and complain and if it is not fixed then the machine is not fit for purpose and you should get a refund and if the dealer/machine company is not prepared to do so through your credit card company. The prices we pay these days for machines it is simply not acceptable for them NOT to perform well and we should be able to enjoy them without being afraid that they will go wrong every time we sit down to sew.
                    These days I shop more for the dealer than the machine brand because a good dealer is worth their weight in gold.
                    I hope you all get your issues solved
                    Ma

Comment

My 12000 does this from time to time. Needs the bobbin and cutting area cleaned really well.

Rob

Comment

The cutting function started playing up after I cleaned the bobbin area, thought it was because more fluff had been dislodged and moved around so repeated the cleaning process but the whole area is very clean (I used the vacuum cleaner with a special attachment for computers and such delights to clean bobbin areas). I think with most machines these days it takes very little to misalign needle, bobbin and all else that is going on under the plate - it is like cars; very hard to pinpoint where something is not quite right.
                        Out of interest; do you use Janome needles for your machine or other brands? This is my first Janome machine so have been using their needles but have a huge collection of Schmetz needles and the dealer says it is perfectly all right to use those so wondering what other Janome owners use. Thanks
                        Ma

Comment

HI previously had a 6500 for ten years, and now have had an 8900 for two years. I have only used Schmitz needles for both machines, mostly topstitch 14

Sharon

Comment

The blade can be giggled and reset into proper alignment. My Janome and Pfaff both can have thread cutting blades misaligned after vacuuming.

I use Organ and Schmitz needles mostly. But occasionally use Groz Beckertt. Janome needles and Janome thread are not readily available in my area

Also use Mettle thread primary as Janome thread is not available either

Rob

Comment

Very true, Marianne! The dealer is the key.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2888 users online. 556 members and 2332 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X