Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

New TOL Machine

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New TOL Machine

Looking for a new TOL machine. I'm really impressed with the Babylock Crescendo, because as a quilter, that laser beam would be oh, so helpful! However, I've read some reviews that say it cuts the thread too short. I'm not about to give up my automatic thread cutter, so that's a little detail that's very important to me. I've also read that the FMQ quality is poor. Can anyone shed some light on these issues? Also looking at the Janome 9400. Love the lighting on that machine. I don't think I want a combination sewing/embroidery machine - the large throat-area machines with this feature are soooo expensive, and then you can only do flat embroidery, which limits doing bags, onesies, etc. And as I live in Mississippi, where we monogram EVERYTHING, this matters! Lol! But seriously, it is important, as I hope to eventually do embroidery on baby items. Any help you could give me regarding any of this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Back to Quilting!

Not sure I can be of specific help for your question, I have a Janome 9400 and really like it. I do my FMQ on a Handiquilter sweet 16 sitdown machine, so don't have much experience on the janome of FMQ. I just wanted to mention, on the Janome Yahoo mailing list, that some people buy a sewing machine and then a separate embroidery only machine. I don't do machine embroider and can't speak to that, but it does open another option of two separate machines. Good luck in your search. Kathy

Comment

I think you posted a similar question on the Baby Lock Crescendo thread. Here is the post that I left in reply:

A definite yes! I still love the machine and have had no problems with it. I sew practically every day, so the machine gets tons of use. I've used all kinds of thread and the thread cutter is perfectly fine. It's one of the features I like best about the machine. It seems like such a little thing, but over the course of many hours of sewing, it saves time and hassle. It also eliminates all the "thread nests" that can occur. As for the quality of the quilting stitches, I've found that it has much more to do with finding the right combination of needle and thread for the fabric and batting that you are using. I know when we see demonstrations at shows or on computer/tv screens, it always looks so perfect, but it really does take some experimenting/trial and error. I have the machine tuned up every year, so that insures good quality stitches and operation, as well.

I know how hard it is to make a decision about buying a machine. It's a BIG expense for most of us, so it does pay to talk to people, and most of all work with a dealer that is really interested in your needs.

You might take a look at the other postings that I made in that thread. They may help you to make a decision. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks! I am thinking of separate machines, as well. Just makes more sense to me, as I would want to sew while the embroidery unit is doing it's thing, and why would I want to sew on my old machine when I have the new one? And, I don't do any FMQ at this point, and wouldn't do larger projects, but it might be nice to do things like placemats and smaller items.

Comment

Maybe a little late

I searched for a new machine last year.

I looked a Babylock/Brother. Their machines are the same in the higher end models. Different areas have different pricing. Where I live Brother is less have friends live where Babylock is cheaper.

Personally Janome and Brother did not do it for me did not like the way they function This is personal

I wanted a Bernina. But that was out of my budget.

I narrowed to Pfaff and Husqvarna. For me I really like the Heirloom and decorative stitches. I was going with HV Sapphire 965 until my dealer offered me half off on the last Pfaff Performace 5.

I love this machine in 5 months has not missed a beat with almost daily usage.

Love the Patchwork memory function for piecing. Like the Maxi and Heirloom stitches for wholecloth and border work. I have only done minimal FMQ. But like the outcome.

This was the machine for me and my project direction.

Buying a TOL machine is expensive and very personal. Take your time, it took mr 7 months. Carry fabric with you. Stop and test sew performing similar tasks you plan to perform. Drive the dealer/s insane with questions.

Look forward to hearing your decision and why?

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I did buy a Babylock Crescendo in December, and so far, have loved it! I have an incredible dealer, which is a plus, but so far, I haven't even had to consult them on anything. Sews like dream. I'm not a FMQer, so the concerns that others have voiced about that didn't bother me. I love the large throat where I can quilt smaller things like baby quilts, bags, etc. Of course there are features I wish it had - an easier way to change to the walking foot, as well as the stitch plates. But that wasn't a deal breaker for me, or the 7mm stitch width. I'm planning on buying a Babylock Spirit later this year and looking forward to learning something new! Happy sewing, everyone!

Comment

Jlmckinion

Congratulations on your new machine. I have good friends with BabyLocks. They love their machines.

Hope to hear about your adventures, and journey with your new machine.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2104 users online. 251 members and 1853 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X