Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Michine Dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michine Dilemma

Hi , can anybody help me .Iam in the market to buy a new machine and my problem is which one to purchase .The Bernina 750QE or Janome 8900QCP are two machines iam looking at,if anyone has any 1st hand experience with either machine I would be very grateful.
    Thankyou for any help.
    Robyn

Hi happystitcher and welcome to the forum! I don't have either of those machines but I do have the Janome Horizon 7700QCP and I can tell you that it is a beautiful machine. The one you are thinking of is the newer version of this (I think?) and has some of the minor irritations with my one sorted out. It is wonderfully smooth for free motion quilting, piecing is smooth, the decorative stitches are lovely and I really can't complain about it at all. I am sure you will get good reviews of the Bernina too. For me though a big deciding factor was how I would be able to get it serviced as we don't have a reliable Bernina dealer near where I live. Good luck with your choice. And HAPPY EASTER!

Comment

Hi Robyn,
      There is a Yahoo group for Bernina 7series owners and wannabe owners - I think it would be a good idea if you visit that:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bernina7Series/
      There is a good mix of very happy and very unhappy people in that group and it highlights what problems there are with the machines at the moment.
      For what it is worth although I am very much a Bernina girl (I have 3 and both my daughters have Berninas) I am looking into different brands for my next purchase as I am not longer convinced Bernina is the very good quality brand it used to be.
      Marianne

Comment

I'm a new owner of a Bernina 780. So far, I'm in the bonding stage; but, I'm loving my new machine. Previously, I had a Bernina 1630 that I purchased 18 1/2 years ago. I'm a Bernina gal too!

Comment

Glad to read that you're happy with your Horizon, Rita. I am just peeking at one now. There is a new model just out here. Leah Day has a Horizon, I think... so I think if it's good enough for Rita and Leah, then it's good enough!! What are the glitches you don't like on it now? I'll ask the dealer about them.

Comment

Terrie I don't have much to complain about with my Janome Horizon but with the newer models they are making it easier to use the acufeed system (this is the equivalent of a walking foot on other machines); a 9mm stitch width and elongation of stitches (at the moment certain stitches can be elongated but not by very much - the 9mm stitch width should help with that too.) They seem to have changed the single hole needle plate thingy too - now it seems to be a different plate that just snaps in and out of place. The 11" harp space is already there and is wonderful when quilting a quilt and the large extension table is something I always have in place. I really love my machine (Patricia) and wouldn't want to replace her....but I might consider getting the newer one as well if i could sneak it in under the radar. 8) :wink: If you google Janome Horizon 8900 you will see the features of it. Mine is the 7700. Hope that helps.

Comment

Certainly helps, Rita. Thanks very much!

Comment

Thankyou for all replies to my dilemma.I love what the Janome Horizon has to offer,but Iam also impressed with Bernina Stitch Regulator.
                Robyn

Comment

I'm TOTALLY a Bernina fan, absolutely. I have um, several, including a 630, 820, and 1030 (my three favs). But...I highly recommend that you test drive the 8900 and a 7 series machine before buying. I would only buy a 7 series if I were able to exhaustively test drive the actual machine I would be getting AND if the dealer agreed to promptly repair the machine in case of any troubles and replace the machine or refund my money in case of the 3rd major issue.

I recommend you read the discussions on Pattern Review. Some new owner of the 7 series have had serious issues. Most dealers have promptly repaired and/or replaced defective machines, some have been resistant. I have total confidence in Bernina to "make it right", but then, I live within driving distance of Bernina USA in Aurora, IL :mrgreen: I think they will work out the bugs, as they did with the 8 series (my 820, made in 2011, has been fabulous and trouble-free). I really wish they would get it right before releasing new models, as it's not fun reading about the trials and tribulations of fellow sewists.

The 8900 has several upgrades/solutions to minor issues on the 7700. The 7700 also had issues when it came out, and a friend of mine had hers replaced when she finally contacted Janome USA after her dealer left her hanging. She's now thrilled with her 830. I think both brands are very good quality. If I didn't already have plenty of machines, not to mention an abiding love for Bernina presser feet, the foot controller, and my Bernina dealer, I would definitely test drive an 8900 and a Pfaff Creative Performance (which is available with or without emboirdery, with two module sizes) before buying a 7 or 8 Series Bernina.

Just my opinion...

Comment

I think MamaMaiaB has just mentioned the most important thing we need to consider when choosing a machine - the DEALER and the TECH at that dealership. When looking around Pattern Review and various Yahoo groups there are a lot of very good machines out there but all brands produce lemons from time to time and when that happens it is the dealer that matters.
                    Thanks MamaMaiaB for reminding us of that fact.
                    Marianne

Comment

Hi everyone,thank you to everybody who answered my dilemma they were all very helpful. I ended up going with a pfaff creative.
                      Thanks
                      Robyn

Comment

Congratulations on your new machine. Happy sewing.

Comment

Enjoy your new baby, partner, friend! Congrats!
                          Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2103 users online. 243 members and 1860 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X