Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Treadle Sewing Machines

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treadle Sewing Machines

Since some folks on another thread have expressed interest in talking about treadle sewing machines, if you have expertise, please share it here.

How did you learn to use a treadle SM?
    Do you have any suggestions for how to learn to use a treadle sm?
    Do you know of any current resources for replacement bobbins, bobbin cases and belts?

What kind of treadle machine do you have? Do you use it?

OK Treadle machine fans, here's our homework: forum/index/[]=127

forum/index/[]=127

http://www.treadleon.net

I'm trying to get the forum search link to "stick", but it won't. There are 69 hits in our forum under Domestic Sewing Machines. I'll search it tomorrow.

I'm going to do a Youtube search and see if I can find some videos that show how to operate various machines with shuttle bobbins.
    I'll post if I find anything that looks promising.

I am no expert, but most of what I know is from treadleon. I really love the old machines. I have a Singer from 1911. It has the long bobbin and shuttle (Model 27). I like them because they are easy to clean, repair, and get parts for. I also have some old Singers that are electric. My treadle is in the living room, by a window. I have some quilt pieces cut to sew on it when the electric is off.
    There are some good youtube videos on how to use a treadle. There are some bad videos too. Just watch several to get the right idea of how to work it. They have a tendency to want to go backwards. You have to keep the handwheel coming towards you to get the Singer to sew right. Mine has a beautiful stitch.
    I just cleaned and oiled one for my daughter. Her and her girls love it. I have an 8 year old DGS who likes to sew on mine too. He wants one of his own. Other Grandma has one in her basement that is never used. I am hoping she will eventually give it to him while he is still interested.

Comment

As Lois pointed out, there is an event on June 7 and 8, 2013 in Lancaster. I'm game for going.
      http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm

I don't think you have to necessarily be interested in the machines, because we could shop 'til we drop!

Comment

Susan, I just went to the Treadle On webcite. I had been there before and learn quite a lot about machines. That's how I learned about the specifics I wanted in a treadle. This time I checked out Flea Markets and Events and found this http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm. Anyway there is a Treadle On Event June 7 & 8, 2013 in Lancaster. The link has more information. Maybe we could meet there with any interested TQS members and make a day, or 2 of it.

Comment

I have two treadle sewing machines. One was my grandmother's and is in working order. It was made in 1927 and has a regular bobbin case. The other one I bought myself back in the 1980s. I didn't know enough about the machines and I couldn't get it to work so I gave the table to my sister and I still have the machine in a shed. ops: It has a shuttle bobbin but I don't know what period it is from. I will have to go and have a look at it and see what the serial number is. Wish I could go with you all to the even but I won't be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
            I have two treadle sewing machines. One was my grandmother's and is in working order. It was made in 1927 and has a regular bobbin case. The other one I bought myself back in the 1980s. I didn't know enough about the machines and I couldn't get it to work so I gave the table to my sister and I still have the machine in a shed. ops: It has a shuttle bobbin but I don't know what period it is from. I will have to go and have a look at it and see what the serial number is. Wish I could go with you all to the even but I won't be able to.
            Rita, Is your 1927 treadle a Singer? I am looking for one (a Singer) that was made after 1920. I want the round bobbin case. The shaft on which you place the pressor foot on those is standard with some things that are made today. That means you can get 1/4" feet and walking feet for them. Now isn't that cool!? It will be interesting to search this out. I would love to find one.

Comment

Hi Lois, yes it's a Singer. Here a a few photos of it. My aunts had it converted so that it could work with an electric motor or without.

As for the other one in the shed - it will have to wait until I am back in Wicklow next week.

Comment

Wow..pretty Phoenix decals !

Comment

Or are they Sphinx ? ops: Wheres my glasses?

Comment

Rita, It's lovely. I hope I can find one that is half as nice.

Comment

I think it has a sphinx on it Marilyn. I am just so happy that I got her because nobody else in the family wanted her or would have known what to do with her.

Comment

Wow that singer is a beauty. I bought a 1906 New home treadle machine and i too learned a lot from Treadle on. I was lucky that mine is in working order and came with all the extra feet and original owners manual. I haven't done much sewing on it, but this thread as fueled my juices to get her moving again. Using the treadle is so relaxing once you get the rhythm down. AND its so quiet compared to electric machines.

Comment

That is a beauty, Rita! Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Well, if Lois bought Rita's treadle, we could engage the TQS jet to take us to Ireland & help her get it back to the States. Cathy could come with us and give us lessons on both types of machines.

Renata, will you please consider going to Lancaster in June? I have a feeling that we don't live far from each other, depending on what side of Washington DC you live on.

BJ, are you out there reading this? want to go?? Road trip!

Comment

Rita, your Sphinx Treadle is lovely! In fact, I have one just like it!! I use mine as a 'conversation piece' in my foyer... I don't know how to use it!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2082 users online. 208 members and 1874 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X