Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Good machine for free motion quilting/embroidery

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good machine for free motion quilting/embroidery

I've been madly saving for a machine to use for quilting my quilts, and doing some free motion embroidery on. I can't afford a long arm but would like as much throat space as I can get. Any suggestions? I don't have any dealers near by, but would most likely travel down into Washington to buy my machine. I do have an Innovis 4000D but it just doesn't cut it for quilting.

in Vancouver, Canada

Janome just came out with a 7700 that has an 11 or 12" throat (gee, I own one and should know this!) It is an awesome machine and won't break the bank!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I love my Bernina 200. I don't know the going rate for them anymore tho. I even pinch-hit with my Bernina 1130 at times. I do all my own quilting on the 200.
      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
      working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
      Tired.
      Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
      BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

The Handiquilter has a table model that has a large harp. Margo has posted on this I believe.

Comment

This is Handi-Quilter's sit-down model. It is their machine head (with a 16" throat space) mounted in a sit-down cabinet. It is a fabulous QUILTING machine, but it's not a sewing machine and because it doesn't have feed dogs it also can't do embroidery.

This is the machine that David Taylor (Episode 406) uses to quilt his wonderful quilts.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I guess most of us like what we are used to.... In which case (now don't laugh) I should recommend you look for a secondhand Frister & Rossman Cub4 from the 1970s.

Seriously: When I have saved up enough money for a machine with a few bells and whistles, I'll plan a proper 'campaign' during a holiday. I'll prepare a stack of small projects at home, the type that need all the sort of thing I either normally do on my machine (decent invisible appliqué) or would love to be able to do (very small machine blanket stitch a la Bernina). I'll then phone the dealers of several machine makes and arrange for me to go and test drive their machine. I will take as much time as I feel like, and I won't be pressured by over-zealous sales people. I'll then go home with my test pieces and a ton of written notes, sit down, look at everything, read everything, and then...... yes, you got it.... buy a machine that'll hopefully prove to be a marriage made in heaven.

Until then I listen to what my quilting buddies say, and I love workshops where machines are provided (a sneaky test drive), so when the time comes I may not feel like having to 'hit' every single make of sewing machine that exists.

And they better convince me that their after sales service is superb!

Laura, I keep my fingers crossed that whatever you decide will be just right for you.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I am attaching a link:

http://www.pfaff.com/us/18574.html for the Pfaff Grand Quilter. It is a neat machine...has feed dogs...can be used to quilt on a table (w/o a stitch regulator) and has an optional walking foot for straight line quilting. The sewing bed(harp...space, etc) is longer than my Bernina 200 or 450, so you might like that. I love my Berninas and use them for machine quilting on smaller projects but use my Handi Quilter sit down for larger quilts.

The Pfaff Grand Quilter does not have a zig zag that I can remember, which would be important for freeform emb. But I would ask a Pfaff dealer. I like the fact that you can use it with a quilt frame and even though you don't have as much space as a long arm, it sounds better than your current domestic machine.

Comment

I did SO much research on this very topic this year LOL! I finally settled on an Elna 7300, and could not be happier. Elnas are made by Janome, but to Elna specs so not the same machines. A close cousin of the 7300 is a Janome 6600MC, very popular with quilters. I have almost 9" of throat space. But with the variety of stitches and ease of combining (and setting combinations into memory), it's a great machine for multiple applications. I truly believe, for the money, one could not do better than an Elna 7300. The one difficulty is lack of dealer saturation, but I was able to get mine online for under $1100, new with warranty.

http://www.elnausa.com/en-us/model_sewing_elna-7300.php

Good luck, and happy shopping!

Comment

Some terrific ideas and thoughts. Thanks so much! Now I can spend the next few days doing more research. And then I think I'll need to go do some test driving!

Comment

I have a Freedom sewing machine and cabinet that belonged to my grandmother and would like to find out a little more about it. Can't find anything on the web. Does anyone have know anything about this particular machine? Thanks!

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Charae, are there any other markings on the machine? Is Freedom the brand name, or is it the model name? Maybe if you could post a photo, someone could help.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, Margo. I'll get that information when I go home tonight. I appreciate the help.
                        Sorry, everyone for the typo in my original question. I love seeing a mistake just as I'm hitting the submit button!

Comment

Charae, Any chance it could be a "Free" sewing machine ? I love to hunt info about old SMs but couldn't find anything about a Freedom make.

Sue

Comment

Yep! Sure could. I am at my office and going from memory only. Do you have info on the "Free" machine?

Comment

Get a drop in table setting for your machine.... The table supporting the machine has just as much to do with good machine quilting as the machine itself.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2033 users online. 183 members and 1850 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X