Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Sewing machine life expectancy

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Violet
    Bernina is an awesome brand of machine but also comes with an huge price point. I checked out the lowest end mechanical - model 1008 - at my local dealer and it came in at $1000. Way to much for the average sewer. The Babylock BL9 came in at $249. The Husqvarna/Viking came in at $199 but not inclined to seriously consider them after what I learned. Will be checking on a Janome and Brother to see about them, compare all models/features/price point and seriously think about getting one as a backup.
    Why would you not consider the Babylock BL9 or the Husqvarna/Viking? What models/brand would you consider and why? I am interested because I am considering getting a second machine to take to classes etc as I don't like to bang around my electronic sewing machine.
    Deborah W

Comment

Originally posted by Violet
      Bernina is an awesome brand of machine but also comes with an huge price point. I checked out the lowest end mechanical - model 1008 - at my local dealer and it came in at $1000. Way to much for the average sewer. The Babylock BL9 came in at $249. The Husqvarna/Viking came in at $199 but not inclined to seriously consider them after what I learned. Will be checking on a Janome and Brother to see about them, compare all models/features/price point and seriously think about getting one as a backup.
      I believe you get what you pay for. I would never pay less for something of lesser quality.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I would consider the Baby Lock, Brother, Janome, Bernina (if the price is right). Also would consider the other brands (Pfaff, Singer, Viking) if I could find a good used older model before they were bought out and the quality started to go down. Plan on doing alot of research and talking with local dealers about their repair rates on all models and what they recommend. I certainly won't buy the bottom of the line simply for price. Everything has to line up to spend any money.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

It's called "planned obsolecsence". DH Mike used to do all the buying and retiring of the computers at the base. It's called life cycling. Computers are obsolescent at about 4 years of age for a business. Makes you wonder what ours at home are, doesn't it? He recently told DD Keri that her laptop is old and it's 5 years old so she's looking for a new one.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

You are right about computers. I worked for years at a national computer chain store and new models came in about every 6 months with the newest upgrades. Of course they cost more for several months, but we had customers who would come in about every 12 months to get the new one. Thank goodness sewing machines (especial mechanical) have a longer life. Wish I was one of those lucky ladies that still had a running machine but no one said life was fair. The good thing is I can afford to get mine repaired. I can also have fun and knowledge researching an inexpensive mechanical machine regardless if I purchase one or not.

Comment

I have a Bernina 840 and a Bernina Record 930 from 1985. Both were purchased used from private owners. I have never had any repairs, just serviced. I used the 930 in my drapery business for 25 years so it has had a lot of use and still sews great.
              I suppose at some point in time I also will no longer be able to get parts when needed and I'll need to get something newer. I don't know if I want a computerized machine.

Comment

I have seen several machines that are only slightly electronic and the vendor says they are good options for someone who wants the benefits of more stitches but doesn't want all the other high-end bells and whistles. I have a feeling getting an electronic Bernina is far easier and cheaper to fix since they are designed to last many many years and would need the parts for these older machines. Certainly worth checking out if one's heart is set on a Bernina. My mom has a higher end Bernina and absolutely loves hers. Hopefully she will give me it thru her will. LOL

Comment

The original question was about the life expectancy of a sewing machine. I would love to ask the bosses of all well-known brands of sewing machines that question and then put a spell on them so that I get honest answers. I wonder if the more complicated a machine is, the more likely it is to fail.

I have never had any problems with a little Frister & Rossman Cub4 (very small, weighs a ton, totally mechanical, no bells and whistles, but excellent stitch quality) from the 1970s, and I'm convinced that machine will still be going strong when I have fallen apart.

I expect a computerized machine to last just a long (hopefully), except that the built-in technology may eventually show it's age and we will lust after a machine with the latest fancy stuff. I'm still waiting for a machine to come on the market that will answer my questions, can hold a conversation about art versus traditional quilting, remind my of my friends' birthdays, and provide me with coffee and cookies.
                  From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                    I expect a computerized machine to last just a long (hopefully), except that the built-in technology may eventually show it's age and we will lust after a machine with the latest fancy stuff. I'm still waiting for a machine to come on the market that will answer my questions, can hold a conversation about art versus traditional quilting, remind my of my friends' birthdays, and provide me with coffee and cookies.
                    Lorchen, you crack me up.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                    Betty Jo

Comment

Lorchen...I've been wanting to say this for awhile, so I'm going to come right out and say it...you are really very funny. You always make me laugh. (A good, old fashioned laugh out loud.) Are there any houses for sale there at the edge of Sherwood Forest? Because I would sure love to be your neighbor.

Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by SueinNH
                        I am on a Yahoo list for those with older Berninas and this comes up quite often. If I'm recalling correctly, one of the techs on the list has said that someone with electronics and/or computer hardware knowledge could repair these circuit boards pretty easily.
                        Sue
                        I thought this sounded interesting, so I ran it past my best friend, who's a brilliant computer pro. He dashed all my hopes.

Apparently you can't repair a mother board, because it's solid state, which means you can't take it apart and replace bits of it. There's just no way to do it. Once it's toast, it's toast.

And companies can't stockpile too many of the circuit boards when they build a line of machines, because computer hardware degrades over time EVEN IF IT IS NEVER USED. The insides tarnish and corrode and the boards become inoperable. So even if the sewing machine companies stockpile the computer components, they likely won't work by the time we need them.

And even worse (if you can believe it), if I buy an expensive computerized machine when I retire, I can't expect it to last forever even if I rarely use it, because the computer components will deteriorate on their own.

Rats. Guess I'll keep buying instruments instead (I'm currently awaiting delivery of a C clarinet from Buffet), and keep sewing on my lovely old mechanical Bernina. At least, for now.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I have a Bernina 1230 that is over 17 years old. When the circuit board went dead, I got it replaced (about 3-4 years ago). It cost me around $250. Not bad to keep a great machine working. I would think Pfaff would replace boards, too. I find it bizarre that a dealer would say that a new machine top of the line machine has a life expectancy of 5 years.

Comment

I have a Singer 910 from around 1988, a Viking Freesia from around 2002 and a Babylock Quest from 2009. I have more problems with the Quest than either of the others. Every once in a while I get a bug up my butt and I want a new machine. Usually it's when I'm cursing out the Quest. When I spoke to a dealer who does trade-ins I asked how much he'd give me for it and he told me $250 which is a whole lot less than I paid. He said it's been discontinued because it had so many problems. :shock:
                            Why don't these manufacturers do recalls like the auto makers do? Because what we do is not a necessity, it's a nicety. Nobody would die if a sewing machine stops working. :x
                            The Freesia is a bottom line computerized with 15 stitches. I LOVE that machine! If I could get an extended table for it, I wouldn't use the Quest at all-I'd let DH Mike use it. :wink:

Comment

Good News!!!!! When the repair guy was dis-assembling my machine to send the circuit board to the European location he found a small sewing needle in an area not easily seen. He said it was against a resistor and that caused the machine to quit working. The best part is I now have my machine home and it only cost me $125 instead of the almost $800 initially quoted. Said if I have further problems the $125 will be applied to getting the circuit board fixed. I am so excited. My husband said let's go get it right now. When I said I wanted to keep the Baby Lock used as a loaner he didn't blink an eye. It was brand spanking new with everything still sealed. A little more than what I wanted to spend but this shop gives free maintenance for life, so only after 2 checkups it pays for itself. Yipee!!!! My baby is back.

Comment

Wow! That's great news.

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2839 users online. 506 members and 2333 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                                Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X