Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Athena 2000?? gift idea??

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athena 2000?? gift idea??

Forum Search tells me JoAnne had an Athena 2000, but anyone else? Anyone still using it?
    I've had the idea to give my niece a sewing machine for her college graduation, and it just dawned on me to look at my Mom's machine & see if refurbishing that (with cabinet) would be "as good" or better than whatever basic-level machine I can afford (in this day & time, less than when the idea of a new machine first hit me). So it's a Singer Athena 2000-- internet search tells me this was THE first electronic machine ever, dates back to about 1975. I didn't get a chance today to try it out, although I did try to use it soon after she passed away to mend something, & I was in a big hurry & flustered & couldn't get it to work, so it may have problems, may not, but I do have a good repair man in town. But if it's not obscenely expensive to repair, is it a generally good machine?
    Thoughts?
    Florence

Florence, I loved my Athena 2000. I don't remember ever having any problem with it. After using it for about 15 years I did have replace the feed dogs. I seem to recall that it was a rubber piece. I'm not sure that's the correct piece but it was some rubber piece I had to order and I was able to replace it myself. I guess I wore it out. I wonder if parts are still available. I would say that if it works it would be a great machine for your niece.

I made many, many clothes and quilts for my children with it. The only reason I quit using it was that DH bought me a new machine, Elna, for Christmas about 8 years ago. I didn't need a new one and there were many features I loved about the Athena that I don't have on my Elna or my newest machine, a Bernina 440.

I particularly remember that you could fill the bottom without having to do anything with the thread, just push a button or lever. How cool is that? No threading around this or that, no getting a second spool, no taking the thread out and re-threading.

I still have that machine and the cabinet we bought with it. My guess is that it would still work well. I might take it in to get it "overhauled". DD has said that she wants to learn to sew, I could give it to her. She never wanted to learn before, maybe it's because she's almost 30. I do know, she's not getting my Elna!

I'm going to be curious to see what others say about the good old Athena. I had never realized it before right now but DH chose the three good machines I have and they were all his idea. We were in the mall one day and he took me into the store that sold Singers. He looked at the best and latest one and asked if I wanted it. The Elna was a complete surprise. Two months ago he carried my Elna into the store when I took it for maintenance, saw the Berninas and asked for a demo. He asked me which one I wanted. I left my Elna and came home with a Bernina. Boy, do I have a terrific DH!

JoAnne in southern California

Comment

Recently, I wanted to make an alteration on my horse's blanket.

Horses are silly, they don't know enough not to lay right down in their own messes. Needless to say, I didn't relish putting this blanket through my lovely new Viking or my little bit older Viking that I sometimes use in teaching.

So, I dragged out my trusty old Singer Touch and Sew that was my high school graduation gift in 1977! She still works like a charm and handled the very tough, thick, waterproof fabric without a problem. I was able to wash the blanket before working on it, but some of that odor never really goes away and the Singer didn't seem to mind at all.

I often wonder why I needed the newer machines when she still works so well. I guess each newer machine has wonderful new features that I DO love and would have trouble living without now.

I'm glad I still have my trusty old Singer, who never complains about being the one who has to do all the dirty work!

Nancy in Western NY

Comment

Nancy, my son, who is not interested in quilting, but often reads what's on the screen, standing behind me, just commented:

"So, Mum, if you wanna sew through horse sh.t you need one of these Singer machines. Weird!"

He then walked off into the kitchen to get himself another drink.

Lorchen
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Sons are such a blessing. :wink:
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

That brought on a chuckle!!!

Comment

JoAnne thanks for the info, I'm gonna talk to my Dad & sister (mom of soon-to-be college grad) and get their feelings on this, and of course will have to get it a full-scale check-up, I don't think Mama used it for much of anything other than mending in the last several years.

NancyAnn, I had guessed from your "1959" that you & I are the same age... I graduated in 1977 too... maybe if I'd gotten a sewing machine I'd have realized sooner that I'm a quilter! So when's your big day? So far my friends have had 2 blow-out birthday parties, we're all approaching it as a liberating "I don't have to give a damn" event! I'm in May...

thanks a bunch, Florence

Comment

Florence - When is your birthday? Mine is May 21st. Wouldn't it be funny if that was also yours! Tomorrow night is a friend's 50th party, a surprise. Lot's of those this year.

Nancy in sunny but brrrr western NY

Comment

Florence and Nancy, I feel so old now, I graduated from high school in 1967 and my birthday was the same day as Ricky's. Really, I was doing okay until you mentioned it, really, I was.

JoAnne

Comment

Sorry JoAnne!! But please know that when I was 20, 50 was old. Now I'm not even sure 80 is!!
                    NancyAnn, Mine's the 24th! VERY close... and both Gemini!! I dropped a big hint to DH that I don't have what it would take to plan a big party, but would happily accept a surprise! HA! I'll see what happens, I usually don't like it when the birthday is too close to Memorial Day, but if everyone has Monday off a Sunday party might work fine!
                    But the next birthday I have to think about is my twins turn 18 next Sunday!
                    Hugs, Florence

Comment

Florence, when my mother died last year she was almost 91 and her mother was 96 when she died. I figure I have a long way to go! I have just gotten to "middle age".

Congratulations on your twins! 18 years, whew! That is quite an accomplishment. My two children, 19 months apart were a handful, I cannot imagine twins!

Very best wishes to them and to you in two months and two days!

JoAnne

Comment

The party Sat. night was really fun. There were over 130 people, DJ, food, bar and the birthday girl was totally surprised! My DH turns 50 this Friday, we'll just do a nice dinner out. My son turned 19 a few weeks ago and my daughter just got her driver's license.

Alot of milestones this year! It's an interesting age and I don't feel badly about it. I'm SOOO looking forward to the next phase (empty nest!).

DS thinks he wants to move off-campus and may do so this summer rather than wait til fall. YEA!! I've been waiting for the chance to have a real sewing room and thought it was still 2-3 years off.

I've always liked my May birthday - about half a year away from Christmas!

Nancy in chilly western NY

Comment

JoAnne my grandmother lived to 103 and her sister (for whom I'm named) till 101, so I've always been able to say "not middle aged yet!" -- a few more years at least--

Nancy Ann the party sounds great. We're at about the same point, my twins will graduation HS and have been accepted to college, but I ended up with an 11-yr-old too, so the empty nest is a long way off... there's something really smart to be said for gals who have their babies in their 20's! My DH is several years ahead of me so in a few years I'll have to do something for 60!

My sis gets home from Australia Thursday so I'll talk to her about the Athena this weekend & hopefully make up my mind what to do...
                          Florence

Comment

Hey Florence and Nancy my birthday is not in May and I'm a few yrs past 50 now but wanted to tell you how much I LOVED turning 50. For some reason I felt like it was just the coolest age and wanted to share it with everybody I ever knew in my life. My husband's Bday is in April and mine is Dec. so we had a huge picnic /party (no gifts of course) halfway between our 50th birthdays. I hope your 50th is as enjoyable. Half a century! How cool is that? Karen
                            Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I just noticed that I turn 50 in exactly 6 weeks. I don't mind at all. I'm at a very happy place right now and feel great. For some reason, I think 30 was a harder birthday.

There's also longevity in my family (my mom is still living at 83, my dad lived to 81, his mom was 95, etc.) so I do feel like I've got time to do lots of fun stuff. The kids are becoming productive young adults and getting ready to fly the coop.

Good friends (many are quilters), great husband and kids, several pets who provide so much fun and love. Time and resources to be able to quilt all I want, what could be better!!? Nancy in western NY where it's sunny today!!
                              Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2047 users online. 191 members and 1856 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X