Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Janome 6600P

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janome 6600P

Hi everyone - at the risk of driving everyone on here mad! (I have posted about this machine before) - I am going to go and have a look at one tomorrow - is this machine capable of handling a large quilt? say 80" square - I am usually a hand sewer but want to start machine quilting. Thanks - :P

I have the 6500, which is the 6600's forerunner. It is more than capable of doing a queen size quilt. I love mine, so I say, go for it!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

Thanks Maggie - I am going into the local sewing machine shop later today - I am very tempted I must admit. The machine I use at the moment is a basic Janome, but only 9 months old so I am trying to justify it to myself as it is quite an outlay! ops:

Comment

I have had my 6500 since Janome brought them out 5 or 6 years ago. It is a regular workhorse. I have not been tempted to replace/upgrade it, other than getting the 11000, which I strictly use for embroidery! You can always use your other Janome for classes, as the 6600 is a bit heavy! Have fun making your decisions!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

I agree with Maggie on everything - except I can't testify to machine quilting on it as I'm so far not a machine quilter! ha

Comment

The lady demonstrating at the shop wasn't really all that brilliant on the 6600 - I asked her about the stitches on the machine that are supposed to look like hand quilting - she couldn't actually get the machine to do those, bit frustrating really! Does this machine do these stitches? x thanks again

Comment

I've had a 6600 for over a year and really love it. It sounds to me as if you need to find someone who can effectively demonstrate and teach the use of the machine. My dealer included a series of classes in the use of the machine, and they were so helpful. Yes indeed, the machine can do a stitch that looks like hand quilting, and many others also. I really needed someone to demonstrate those for me as I would never have figured them out by myself. The manual is very clear, but I needed to have it demonstrated so that I could really understand. That's just my learning style I think. Hope this helps you in your search. Marge

Comment

Thanks Marge - I will try and find another stockist then - I thought there was a 'hand-quilting' type stitch - the demonstrator didn't know the machine well enough - and when I mentioned that I could buy the machine at a better price on the internet she nearly had a fit!

Comment

If the hand quilting stitch is the same as on other machines (and I'm sure it is) you need to use an invisible thread in the top and a cotton or poly thread in the bobbin. The machine then does a triple stitch where it pulls the bobbin thread up somehow so it's visible on the top, then does a single stitch which is (in theory) invisible, then another triple stitch, so creating the hand stitch look. To my mind though, if you want a hand quilted look, do it by hand, if you do it on the machine there are so many beautiful threads out there to showcase, it seems a shame not to use a regular straight stitch or do free motion quilting. Just my opinion of course :lol:

If the saleslady was any good she would have convinced you as to why buying from a dealer is better than buying online - whether it is or not! I've bought a machine online and been more than happy with it and my savings, and I bought my last machine from a local dealer at a local show. It depends on your requirements and individual situation, and how good the salesperson is!

Comment

hello alibeoli - your description of the 'hand quilting' stitch makes sense with what I saw at the shop. The demonstrator wasn't a quilter and she didn't mention invisible thread in the top. I have just come in and picked up a message on the answering machine from the Sewing Centre, to say that Janome have knocked the tax off this machine until the end of February. So having negotiated a lower price, it will actually be even less when I order it! Woo hoo! how can I not buy it now !!! :wink:

Comment

Go for it gloucestershirelady (I live up near Redditch, in Beoley!). Obviously it paid to walk away. One of my friends has this machine and loves it, she does a lot of hand work and (I think!) this was her first machine. She's done some fabulous work on it and we're looking forward to seeing pictures of what you produce. No pressure of course . Ali :lol:

Comment

Hello Ali - so you aren't that far from me - I didn't realise that you are in the UK! Did you go to Birmingham last time? I ordered the machine today, should be ready to collect in a couple of days - exciting - it seems there are some good deals around! I have got one quilt top that is ready to quilt, handpieced - and layered up. I do like hand quilting but on big quilts it takes such a long time. I have finished a wall hanging that is all hand sewn but it hangs on a wall over a staircase and I can't get a decent picture without taking it down. x

Comment

Hello Gloucestershirelady (Jacky?), yes I went to the Festival of Quilts every day, it's my local show, the NEC is only 20 minutes drive from home. I also help with hanging and taking down, it's great to see how the show comes together and be more involved with the work behind the scenes.

Have you got your new machine yet? I bet you're really excited. I follow a blog of a lady who has just bought the same machine, she's thrilled with it and I hope you are too.

I haven't done any sewing this week, we've had a few days in Norfolk walking and birding, the weather was lovely and the fresh air should have done me some good . Ali

Comment

Hello Ali - yes, the machine is here - it was delivered by the Sewing Centre (good of them) because of the size and weight. I have been busy since it arrived on Thursday so it is still sitting in it's box! :cry: I have been looking through the instruction book. I didn't want to get it out and rush through it so am waiting for a few hours peace and quiet! I have just started an OU course so am bogged down with books at the moment. Hope you enjoyed your walking - the weather here has been like a Spring day today - sun at last! x :wink:

Comment

How exciting, I wouldn't have been able to wait, you've got more self-control than me :lol: What course are you doing with the OU?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2027 users online. 179 members and 1848 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X