Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

sewing machine for a 5 yr old

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sewing machine for a 5 yr old

Hi everyone, what would be a good first sewing machine for a 5 yr old that isn't too expensive and complicated. Anyone out there have experience with this??? THis will be a christmas gift and thought I should start looking now. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl...I just googled "Children's Sewing Machines" and came up with quit a few places that have differne types of child machines. This might help in your search. I know when my daughter was a child Singer had a hand crankes machine that she really loved. But that was like 35-40 years ago. LOL. Well anyway hope you find what your looking for. Nan F.

Comment

Janome makes smaller models that are great for kids. I bought my son their 1/2 sized blue Hello Kitty model when he was 5. They also have a 3/4 sized one (it's green, believe). It's very similar to their sew mini model, and stitches very slowly, but is a real machine- not a toy. (He upgraded to my old Kenmore when I got my Janome 6500, and is eyeing my machine now- he wants an automatic thread cutter and needle up/down button. :roll: )

Lisa

Comment

Children grow up so quickly and their tastes and ideas change so fast. I think I would look at a regular machine. Pick your price range and get the best you can afford. I personally like Vikings and they are quite simple to run and maintain but still give a lot of flexibility. Granddaughter (age 10) just designed and quilted her first wall hanging completely on her own using my machine. Her Mom's machine is more complicated but she makes clothes on that (I can't figure out her Mom's machine) Ricky has said in classes buy the best machine you can afford and that is what I would do for this gift. Kids are very into technology these days so what we think is complicated (like the computer) they do like a breeze. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Ann

Comment

It is fantastic that you are doing this - kids these days will never learn to sew if we don't take the time to teach them ourselves since home ec. is gone from most schools. Just a word of warning - avoid the cheaply made "kiddy" sewing machines. I learned my lesson the hard way. They do really work, but they are actually so complicated to thread and you have to noodle so much with them to get them to sew properly that they are virtually unusable by the children in the age range they are intended for. I should know - I bought two of them this past Christmas for my girls ages 6 and 7. They really wanted to sew on them, but after much anguish they have ended up just sitting on my sewing room shelf. Your best bet is a relatively inexpensive basic model sewing machine - nothing fancy. In fact the less features to distract them the better. You might even look in your local Bulletin Board or classified ad's, someone is always selling a used one, just test drive to make sure it is in good working order. As long as it has a straight stitch, a zig zag, and reverse you are good to go for a beginner. Oh, and the simpler to thread the better too.

Comment

Could you use a Featherweight? It just has the basic forward and back. no zigzag, at least, mine doesn't. Then you could move it around to where it would be easier to sew. Judy in AZ

Comment

I remember having a little metal kiddie one about 55 years ago (oh my) but became very frustrated with it very quickly. I too would recommend a simple one but something a child could grow into as his/her dexterity and eye hand coordination developes. The key is achieving a balance to lessen the liklihood of frustration for the child. If too complicated or too toy-like, it may be abandoned.

I know I went to my aunt who sewed in a factory to help me. She found a treadle Singer for me and spent the time to teach me how to use it and guided the first projects. I think it is the mentoring and achievement more than the machine that inspires a child.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

THankyou everyone. I knew I could count on you to give excellent advise. My first machine was a Kenmore but I didn't start until my early teens. Cheryl

Comment

my next-door-neighbor (age 6) just got the Janome Hello Kitty machine for her birthday, and I've been drafted for lessons after vacations... her folks don't sew, but dad has given it a try & thinks it's great! I validated him by telling him it IS a power tool :lol: anyway it looks like a good machine, and her grandma (lives across the country) got it on after X-mas clearance at Target for $25!!
                  But I also agree w/ the classified ad route, used is not a bad thing if it works... Florence

Comment

Florence

LOL you telling her Daddy that is was a power tool______good thinking!
                    Our little Mia 5 got one after the Christmas sale also,the same
                    machine $25.00 A Janome Hello kitty,Cute little machine,well of course Grandmaw sews on Janomes! Mia sits in Cinda's "her mom" lap to sew,she enjoys sewing! Though she says she won't have time to sew when she grows up because she is going to be a Dr. she Told Grandpaw & Grandmaw that she would only charge us a dollar for visits then she replys isn't that nice! Grandmaw replys Yes Mia that is real nice,very sweet of you to think of us this way. Grandpaw asked her how she was going to make money like that she replys charge others more!!! She is a smart little one,so cute. She is our quit one. Kathy

Comment

Kathy, that is so funny. I think I already go to Mia lol.

Comment

very funny. Its good to have connections, especially in the medical field. :lol: Cute remarks dont fade away as kids get older. we were sitting at the dinner table and we were talking about my 14 yr olds wisdom teeth. Hubby being in the navy tolder her she would have to get them pulled. "THats what sailors do". Little smarty told him she wasn't a sailor and becides. If they pulled her wisdom teeth, she would loose her wisdom and start cussing like a sailor. :lol: I don't know where she comes up with these things.

I will deffinately check out the smaller size machines. I think it would be a good starting point, to get her feet wet and see if she even likes sewing. Cheryl

Comment

I would also recommend looking on Craig's list for a machine for sale in your area. I was glancing at the list recently in the Denver area and I saw some good machines at very reasonable prices! You may find the same thing in your area! Mary Kay

Comment

I would go with a real machine. I've been teaching my granddaughters to sew (they started at seven). I recently got a Bernina 730. After a few months I got brave enough to let the 10 year old sew on it. She's now teaching me how to use it!!! Computers don't intimidate them! Betty D

Comment

Cheryl
                              If they pulled her wisdom teeth, she would loose her wisdom and start cussing like a sailor. "LOL" They sure can surprize us sometimes with what theyre thinking, they are smart little ones. I Love the little imbarassing moments out in public-memories we will cherish thats for sure.
                              Patti
                              I'm sure Mia would see you too,she has a big heart,she is a very loving child.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2004 users online. 165 members and 1839 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X