Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Why did you choose your Sewing Machine/s?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Donna! Welcome! Glad you've been bitten by the "quilting bug"!!! I've been quilting for a long time, but it's one hobby that's more of a passion for me. I've got several machines and I've used my two Singer Featherweights for many years. In the past two years, I've bought a couple of Berninas--one that stays home and has alot of fancy stitches and the Bernina Stitch Regulator for machine quilting (if I EVER get enough practice in--I've always been a hand quilter!) and my other Bernina is a small one that I can take to classes. There are so many really nice machines on the market and some of the older machines really stitch nicely, too. A really good straight stitch is all that's needed for piecing. Judy in Torrance

Comment

Judy,
      I too have many machines. No machine can beat the Singer featherweight for straight stitching & it is so portable. I have owned Elnas, Janomes & Husqvarnas. I moved to Berninas last year & like Judy have a high end one for home use & a portable one for classes & retreats. The support & education that Bernina offers is fabulous.

Comment

They found me it was a good deal I have 2 Phaff 7570 and a Baby lock

Comment

Back in Middle school our "Home-Economy Class" was outfitted with Singers. My mother had a Singer at home that she had used for many years. When I moved out on my own I had purchased a White, which did the job, then over the years traded it in for an Elna Jubilee, at that time it was a pivotal point in time, I had tested the Harsvonka (sorry for the spelling) but liked the Elna at that time. After I married, I checked into Bernina and traded in for my first Bernina, a Bernina Virtuoso (150). I fell in love with it. I am now on my second Bernina (as I traded the 150 in for a 240 with updates). If anyone is searching for a good machine, I would encourage them to test them out, compare features and see which best fits your sewing needs. I like the feel of the Bernina when I sew, it fits me.

Comment

I learned how to sew on my mother's old Swiss Elna. When that machine could not longer be repaired (in Brazil) she bought a Singer. My first machine after I got married was a sears Kenmore 16 stitch which I loved. I sewed many garments, drapes and house decor items on it and then discovered quilting in the 80's. the Kenmore did me well with the typical beginner quilts but then we moved to Washington DC and I became interested in art quilts and more sophisticated patterns. By then the Kenmore did not have features I needed for some of the sewing I wanted to carry on with and had the opportunity to buy the class model Bernina I had been taking classes on. That was a Bernina 1230 which is still my workhorse machine. While living in South Africa I got a really good deal on my second Bernina, a QE with automatic dual voltage (120 or 220) so I could take that one to our other posts. I have the two of them still and love them both! OH, and my mother still sews on my old Kenmore....

Comment

I learned to sew on my Mom's Singer (it was new in 1969-has the auto wind bobbin) and she still uses it, I hope to inherit it someday. I sewed mostly garments, even when in high school. She let me take her previous Singer with me when I went to college, don't know what ever happened to that one tho. When I was out on my own, I bought one from Spiegel-it didn't have a brand name on it but it was still going strong when I started quilting, but didn't have a walking foot or free motion and couldn't drop the feed dogs. I sold that machine to my Aunt. When I was looking for a quilting machine I looked at quite a few machines. Just could not justify spending thousands of dollars on a sewing machine, but I found my Kenmore on sale and it had everything I needed. So I sew on a Kenmore Quilter's machine. I got all the extra feet and bobbins for it when I bought it 3 years ago, bought a custom slide on table for a very reasonable price and I'm good to go. I haven't had any problems at all with this machine, I just love it. I think if I was going to invest thousands in a machine today, I would have to go with a long arm, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I send my larger stuff out to be long armed and quilt twin and smaller stuff myself right on my Kenmore.

Comment

Have you ever done some free motion quilting, no problems, came out great, only to find out you forgot to drop the feed dogs?!!! :shock: I have. You do not have to drop the feed dogs to do free motion quilting! In fact, there is a "paid professional" (I've forgotten who it was) who prefers to fmq with the dogs up.

My machine of choice: my Janome 6500, for piecing and fmq (with or without the dogs up). :lol:

Comment

Golly, I forgot I started this post in 2008. I never thought I'd need to update it because I believed my beloved Bernina 630E was my retirement machine. But my dealer gave me an offer I couldn't refuse AND I sold a bunch of jewelry just sitting in the jewelry box unworn for ages. So the Bernina 830 has been sitting in my shared sewing room since last October. I'm having a great time with it and it will take me years to discover all that it is capable of doing.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

I've still got the Babylock Quest and we still haven't bonded. :roll: I'm a Viking gal and I should have stayed with Viking. The dealer in the booth had both brands and I let him talk me into the Babylock. Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine-just not for me. Anybody want to buy a gently used Babylock? :roll:

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

My name is Nina so for me it was easy, I just chose the machine that had my name on it :lol: It had to be a Bernina.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2109 users online. 240 members and 1869 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X