Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Need Featherweight Advice

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I Google Brother 720D sewing machine it shows it as an OVERLOCK machine.

Are you sure that's the right model number?

BethMI

Comment

Originally posted by pknord
      If your machine still has an odor even without the case, I suspect that the fiber gasket lining the bottom pan of the machine may be the cause. You should be able to get a piece of gasket material from a car parts place and cut it to fit in your machine, using the old one to make a pattern.

Pat in Rockport, TX who has some Featherweights, including one of the Free-arm models, and also has one of the oval wood cabinets made for Featherweights.
      Pat is right, it's most likely the oil in the old gasket that's causing the problem.

If you can't get a piece of gasket material from a car parts place, you can use wool felt.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada, owner of two 221s and a 222

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bar7700
        Be mindful when you are sewing on a Featherweight...... Grease can show up on your fabric!
        Bar7700, I don't understand your comment. There's no more grease or oil in a Featherweight than there is in any other mechanical machine. (I can't speak for electronic machines, because I don't own any.)

No matter what kind of machine you have, it's a good idea to sew a few feet on scrap fabric before sewing your project after you've oiled the machine. If any oil has dribbled down into the thread path, that will clean it out very well.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada, happy owner of three Featherweights

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

There are several good sites out there for FW info and supplies:

http://www.deskdave.com

http://www.singer-featherweight.com

http://www.featherweightfanatics.com

http://www.featherweight221.com (This is where you can buy the video and a terrific how-to book called The Featherweight 221 and I. The man who runs this website wrote the book and created the video.)

http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm

http://www.221parts.com

If you buy a machine that needs to be shipped, ask the seller if s/he would be willing to pack it according to the instructions at http://www.sew2go.com/packingseries.htm AND DON'T BID IF S/HE SAYS NO. It's very important! More damage is done to Featherweights (or any machines, really) in shipping than any other way I know of. You CAN pack a machine to arrive safely--it just takes some time and effort. I usually offer to pay for the packing materials and the time it will take the seller to pack my machine according to these instructions.

Good luck!

Anne in Vancouver, Canada

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

The person I bought my FW from packed it up so well it took me twenty minutes to unpack it! :shock: I highly recommend the book mentioned by Anne. Lots and lots of info and insight.
            Sherry

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Oh my, Anne! My post is almost two years old and the details are no longer clear in my mind. I remember there being white fabric in my quilt and that's why I noticed the grease/oil. It could have been from being too generous when oiling the insides of the machine.

Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by bar7700
                Oh my, Anne! My post is almost two years old and the details are no longer clear in my mind. I remember there being white fabric in my quilt and that's why I noticed the grease/oil. It could have been from being too generous when oiling the insides of the machine.

Barbara
                I guess I'm a little slow!

It must have been from over-oiling. As I said, sewing on a scrap piece (WITH thread--not just "exercising" the machine) will clean out any excess oil. This is true for any machine.

Anne in Vancouver

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I'm not sure how to oil my featherweight. I've only oiled the few spots on the outer part of the machine, not inside. Any suggestions?

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

There are lots of little places that need regular oiling. You need the book Anne talked about, or go on line and do a search. You'll find quite a bit of useful and necessary information. FW's were made to be maintained by the "homemaker"...just gotta learn how!
                    Sherry

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by PCummings
                      I'm not sure how to oil my featherweight. I've only oiled the few spots on the outer part of the machine, not inside. Any suggestions?
                      You'll find oiling diagrams here:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/.../Service3.html

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/.../Service4.html

The quality of reproduction isn't great, but the info is there. You need to take the machine apart to lube and oil it, but it's very easy to do.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I just took a class to learn how to service my original Featherweight. The woman who taught the class has many machines and has been doing this for years. One thing she said to be careful about is if you really want a Featherweight - you need to check that it is authentic not a repro or after market. That may not matter to you, and that's ok, too. But the original is fabulous and can be serviced easily by the owner. Just a little tidbit!

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I bought a 221 on ebay - took a bit of a chance, but it is a nice little machine and I had it serviced by Graham Forsdyke, who is well known in the featherweight world. He is based in the UK so was easy and not too expensive to get it to him. Now that it has had a proper check up I should be able to maintain it myself. That's the plan! I got the book written by David McCallum which has got good line drawings for oiling etc.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I am lucky to own my grandmother's featherweight and fondly remember watching her sew barbie clothes. I learned to sew clothes on that machine. It is wonderful! I purchased another at an estate or house sale and it came with parts to make a zig zag stitch.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I'm hunting for one too! How did you find out about the house sale? I have checked e-bay and the I-net but thought it would be fun to find one at a garage sale or antique store!
                              Lesley

Advice from a LADYBUG: spot new opportunities, spend time in your garden, be well-rounded, enjoy the wonders of nature, don't let small things bug you, keep family close by and be simply beautiful! -Ilan Shamir-

Comment

My husband purchased my featherweight on eBay about 7 years ago. I had the machine serviced and take it on all my retreats. It sews like a dream (other than when I forget that there is no knee lift). Love the size and ease. Plan to take it on my upcoming vacation to Hawaii. It is just small enough for me to take on the plane.

I would highly recommend these little machines! Once you have them serviced they work great. Our local quilt store offers classes in Featherweight maintenance. You might want to see if they offer them in your area. Otherwise the manual is a life saver.

Lilo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1986 users online. 152 members and 1834 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X