Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Fixing the leaking iron

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing the leaking iron

Ladies, I have a strange question. My Rowenta focus (steam iron I bought it several moths ago) started leaking and I just noticed that - while staying up late to finish my projects.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix this without sending it back to the manufacturer?
    I'm really upset with this as I liked this iron so much.

UPD: had to return it, from what I found it seems that I'm not the only one with such a problem. I'll try Black and Decker instead.

sewing_lady, I have had the same problem with my Rowenta DG8020 Steam Irons, but like you, I like them so much I just live with it until something goes
    wrong and then get a new one. I have found the cost to ship them back and get them fixed is often so much it is just better to get a new one, especially if out of warranty.
    I have found if you clean them as the directions advise that can help. Since it is only a couple months old I would try to get them to cover it under the
    warranty. Amazon is great that way. If you are dealing directly with Rowenta they will probably make you pay for the shipping and insuring it to be
    sent back to them for repair or replace. I was thinking, with no proof, that maybe water in the steam hose cools after use, and then when you
    start it back up that just comes out as water, not steam once it has warmed up. If you want to live with it, I put a hand towel on the end of the ironing board and hit
    the steam into the hand towel before using. That usually takes the water out and then it does not leak while using it. But if you let it sit for awhile again you will get water in with
    the steam. I assume you have using the type of water they suggest, and all their little suggestions that never worked for me. It is a very common problem if you
    google it. But the steam irons are so good for the steam they put it out when working correctly I just keep buying them. HelenW

Comment

In my opinion, an iron is a iron. I never put water in my iron, I only put water in a spray bottle. That way I have steam when I need it and never water leaks which I don't need ever

Comment

Ladywingnut, I agree.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        North Alabama, USA
        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

I used to own an Oliso which would never really leak unless you were really using a lot of steam. It also seemed to do better in horizontal position. I was thinking of upgrading to a Rowenta iron, which these guys thinks is the best steam iron for quilting when it comes to not leaking. Does anybody know anything about it and if it's really better? I would be using it for quilting but also for household chores like ironing clothes and even steaming drapes sometimes.

I just wish leaking wasn't a problem, especially when working with delicate fabrics.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          North Alabama, USA
          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

ShanV - I've used Rowentas for years. They leak. One leaked catastrophically (as in the whole tank flowing all over the ironing board). We autopsied that one, and found that the tank inside is made of two parts, glued together. Obviously, the glue didn't hold up to exposure to water and heat.

I still use a Rowenta, but I never put water in it. If I need steam, I use a spray bottle.

Comment

Diane, I also have had many a Rowenta steam iron. And yes they have all leaked also. But I love the steam they give. So my workaround is
              I put a wash cloth on the right end of the ironing board next to the tank. Just before I am ready to press using steam, I give it a several second shot of steam
              into the wash cloth. The water comes out as a leak into the wash cloth, then I do my work. Then I go back to sewing etc. When ready to use again.
              I give the first burst of steam into the wash cloth. I have not had problems with it leaking onto my projects. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=150004
                Diane, I also have had many a Rowenta steam iron. And yes they have all leaked also. But I love the steam they give. So my workaround is
                I put a wash cloth on the right end of the ironing board next to the tank. Just before I am ready to press using steam, I give it a several second shot of steam
                into the wash cloth. The water comes out as a leak into the wash cloth, then I do my work. Then I go back to sewing etc. When ready to use again.
                I give the first burst of steam into the wash cloth. I have not had problems with it leaking onto my projects. HelenW
                Helen - I've done this too, and still had rusty water dripping onto my project. Unfortunately, the project was my daughter's wedding dress! Luckily, it was only the lining, and I was able to replace the piece. I know our water is super hard - maybe that makes a difference. Rowenta makes great irons, if only they'd solve the leaking problem.

D

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1064 users online. 173 members and 891 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X