Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

What are your favorite pins and why?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your favorite pins and why?

I need to replace pins and wondered if you out there had a choice of one or two kinds of pins, what would you buy? Thanks, Jan

I would buy the small fine pins with glass heads from Clover and some quilting pins that are stronger for heavier work. The flower pins work but I prefer pins with round heads. Remember if you buy flower head pins to get some that can stand ironing

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I have almost as many pins as I have thread and fabric!!

My top favorite are the Clover extra fine pins. They are .04 mm thick - the thinnest you can buy. The little box has half light blue heads and half yellow heads - translucent glass head, not solid. I got mine at JoAnn's. These pins disrupt the fabric seams the least of any pins and you can sew over them. However, they are very very fine and do bend very easily. I treat myself to a new box every year or two. They are very expensive compared to 'generic' pins but worth every penny for piecing.

Then I like a pin called IBC extra fine pins. They are .05mm thick, and 1 3/4" long. I get them at the Bernina store. They are also great for seams and have an opaque white head that is easy to grab. They too bend easily but a bit stonger than the Clover.

For general pinning, I like the yellow head 'quilting' pins. They are strong and long and hold well, but I don't use them for seams.

I also like the Flat head Flower Pins. They are good for crafty things.

And to keep them all organized, I have separate pin cushions for each!

Comment

Wow, that's good advice. We have a Bernina store 30 min away, so I will ask if they have the IBC pins before I go. Tomorrow I'll look for the glass heads at Joann's. I will need a new pin cushion for them I think. Better check my messy drawer and other places that collect sewing stuff. Thanks, Jan Oh and I didn't know they made flower heads that could be ironed. Do you know the brand name? That must be online. Thanks again, Jan

Comment

Originally posted by drj2athome
          Oh and I didn't know they made flower heads that could be ironed. Do you know the brand name? That must be online. Thanks again, Jan
          I don't remember where I got them but very possible online. Try a search. I'm on my way out of the house now, so I don't have time for searching through my invoices now. I might have it :x

Michelle described exactly what I was trying to tell you

Comment

Jan, if you buy new pins this week, sure as eggs is eggs, you will find your original ones next week :wink:

Comment

I'm laughing, Rosemary. I know you are right. I bought some yellow quilting pins, some glass head pins and the flower heads that can be ironed.I'm going to clean out my magnetic pin cushion and put them there. I will use an unused tomato pin cushion to store used machine needles with a series of lines to divide out how many hours the needles have been used. I had flower heads that couldn't be ironed and had recently bought silk pins at the suggestion of a class teacher( I don't know who to blame or what they are good for). At least I had three Jo'ann's coupons for 5o and 40 percent off. I will try not to use the yellow quilting pins to be sewn on. Wait til I post next week, God willing. Thanks guys, Jan

Comment

Michelle, Jan is so right about the Clover pins. The only thing that I've found thinner is the Bohen pins that are made from piano wire. The Bohen pins are wonderful but very expensive. I think that I paid $15.00 for a box 2 years ago at the Houston quilt show. The only thing about the thinner pins is that they bend so easy. The best thing about them is that they bend easy! I have a Bernina and slow down just a bit when I reach a pin and the needle of the machine will just push the pin out of the way.
                I purchase at least two of the Clover boxes a year (with coupons at Joann's) and keep them on a magnetic pin "cushion" that was also purchased at JoAnn's. I find this speeds up the pinning and unpinning process. It is so neat that all the pins just line up!! I haven't used silk pins but you don't sound very happy about them.
                I find that I have the best results for matching seams, etc. when I pin. I took a very good class from Philippa Naylor in Houston one year and she recommends the IBC pins that you mentioned. I just like the Clover pins with the heads, it's easier to find them on the floor!!
                Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Hi guys, so far I haven't found my old pincushion. Maybe I left it somewhere. I belong to a group of quilters but you'd think they'd post a comment about lost pins. I love that I found the glass heads that are fine and blue and the ironable flowerheads at Joann's. I bought a few more yellow headed quilting pins since somebody liked them. The satin or silk pins haven't shown up either so I may never find out what they are good for. I have to learn not to buy everything when I get lists for quilt show classes. One thing I've done at these classes is use black and white fat quarters. That way I always like my results and they go together. thanks all, Jan
                  Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Jan, that is a wonderful idea! I never thought to use just black and white fabrics for classes. I have a gadgillion (is that a word!) projects started from classes. I love to learn new techniques and have started many projects in classes only to not follow through with a whole quilt!
                    Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Wanda, glad you like the idea. I was collecting them for a quilt but that ain't gonna happen in myhouse any time soon. LOL Jan
                      Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Lol, the black and white quilt is happening this weekend! Anyway in sewing it with my new glass head pins it was great. You can sew right over them. I did find all the lost pins but I am glad I lost them because I learned about the glass heads and the flower heads that are ironable. It took about 2 mos to find them. I guess I didn't look for them very well.
                        Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:
                          Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

You told me didn't you, Rosemary! :lol: :lol: :lol:
                            Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2035 users online. 184 members and 1851 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X