Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

AccuQuilt Go

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AccuQuilt Go

Hi there~

I would love some feedback from anyone who's used this gadget. My experience is not an unequivocal success so far, so I'm putting feelers out to see if I can do anything to improve it. Here is my review:

http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/?...p;preview=true

Apologies for relocating you all to a link, but I'm too short on time (and lazy) to re-type it all here LOL!

I appreciate any thoughts you can share...
    Yn Harddwch Gogledd Cymru

April, I haven't got this gadget, but my questions would be: Does it cut differently if the fabrics are starched? Would the density of the weave (thinking batiks here) make a difference? Could adding a layer of cardboard blunt the cutting edges? How many shapes can you get using the 'Go', and how many cutting the same shape by hand, starting with piece of fabric the same size?
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I haven't had any problems with my Go! In fact, I brought it to church one day when the ladies wanted to put together a Rail Fence quilt. Everyone wanted to try the Go! and no one had any trouble. I had them starch and press the fabric, put 4 layers of fabric straight on the strip cutter, and I had them feed the mat in the Go! at a slight angle (not sure if angle is necessary, but watching Alex and Ricky opperate the Go!, that's what they do also). Hope this helps.
      Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Comment

Lorchen~ Excellent points about various weaves; I will have to play with that. I do not starch my fabric and would rather not start... I hate that sticky feeling LOL! (Stickiness was why I left papercrafting to start playing with fabric LOL! Silly, I know. ops: ) The cardboard... I wasn't clear, sorry. I was thinking of trying a layer over the top of the mat, so the blades would not come into contact with it. As far as counting shapes and cut-outs, I am sure there is some time savings to be realized, but again for the price, I'm sorta not thrilled with the "clean-up" stage of the process. :mrgreen: But you have given me lots to think about; thank you!

Pat, yeah I'm with you on the angle thing! I was working with that too, for the same reason... Alex and Ricky said so LOL! I am glad you haven't had any complaints with your Go. I'm wondering if I will have to re-think my position on the starching thing if I want to use mine...

Thanks bunches for the feedback!

Comment

I don't find starched fabric to feel sticky at all, unless you could be in a very humid area and it isn't totally dry or something - check out with Margo about the stickyness factor, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Rosemary

Comment

The only time starched fabric is sticky is before the starch dries! I lay my fabric out on old beach towels and thoroughly wet it with spray starch (Sta-Flo mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle) then let it air dry. A quick pass with a steam iron makes it nice and flat and stiff, but not sticky. Letting it air dry prevents the flaking you often get when you dry it with a hot iron.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I spray starch as I go along. I spray the right side, wait a little bit (really it's not more than a few seconds), and press on the wrong side. No stickiness and no flakes.
              Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Comment

I have the Go Baby and about five dies, and I really like it. You do have to pick little threads out of the dies after you've used them multiple times, but AccuQuilt sells a little pick that makes it easy. It's probably a dental pick.

I've never starched my fabric, and I don't have any trouble with it.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I have the Go! And it was a life saver when I needed a boat load of 2 inch circles. I have done a few strips as well. What I discovered was that it was less than perfect when operating the Go on my cutting table. Maybe because it is too high. I moved to the floor and had much better results. Easier to apply pressure while moving the die through the roller. Not wanting to have to work from the floor when using the Go, I think my kitchen table will work.

I have the tree die and Alex's basket die set...... Can' wait to play with those. Half square triangles have jumped to the head of the line, though.

Comment

I don't want to kidnap this thread, but I have a related question: WHY? Why should I consider an accu-quilt machine? I'm a little in the dark as to why I would need one. I understand if I am appliqueing lots of pieces, which I don't usually do, but I am at a loss to understand why I might need one for my regular cutting of pieces and strips.

Comment

Kevin, I do not have an Accu Go! But, when I read your post I laughed and wanted to answer, "Because you CAN!" I personally could benefit from one because, having had some major shoulder surgery, this would eliminate the shoulder pain that I get when cutting multiple strips or shapes. And, there are lots people who have one for just that reason. Then there are those who have many grandkids, or are cutting quilts for the so many needy causes out there like the Linus Project, and other charity quilts. This cuts (pun intended) the cutting time WAY down. And, then there are those who make a business from their quilts. The more they make, the more they can sell. I would love to have an Accu Go! just because I think it would be fun! And, it would do a lot better job cutting out circles and feathers than I would! I have to do one at a time. The GO! can do 8 to 10, I think!

Dawn,
                      In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Quick question from somebody who can't really afford a 'Go Cutter', but is always inquisitive......

How many layers of fabric can you cut at once?

And if you can cut fabric that has already got a fusible (like Wonder Under) attached, how many layers can you do at once then?

Dawn, Kevin, I can think of another reason: If a new gadget becomes available, some people just have to have it, even if it ends up at the back of the wardrobe after a couple of months.

And another question: Does anybody know of a quilt group or quilt guild that has bought one 'Go' and kind of hires it out to any member who wants to cut of multiples of the same shape? Because it seems to me that that would be quite a good idea.

Comment

Hi Lorchen & all! My LQS has a Accu-Quilt "Studio" club. Once a year you pay "dues"($60 last year) to use the big Accu-Quilt Studio machine in the quilt store. The owner has a class to teach first time users on how to use the machine then you sign up whenever the shop is open to use time on the machine & the many dies that she has. She also has project classes "showcase-ing" new dies to show what can be done thus creating new excitement & interest in the machine and bringing in $$$ for the shop. I do have a Go Baby...and love it but it does have the size limitation problem. The dies & mats are an expense...but with the Studio club I can use the latest dies without having to shell out $$$ and worry if I will ever use the die set again! It's a win-win all the way around for me!

Comment

Originally posted by materialblessings
                            Hi Lorchen & all! My LQS has a Accu-Quilt "Studio" club. Once a year you pay "dues"($60 last year) to use the big Accu-Quilt Studio machine in the quilt store. The owner has a class to teach first time users on how to use the machine then you sign up whenever the shop is open to use time on the machine & the many dies that she has. She also has project classes "showcase-ing" new dies to show what can be done thus creating new excitement & interest in the machine and bringing in $$$ for the shop. I do have a Go Baby...and love it but it does have the size limitation problem. The dies & mats are an expense...but with the Studio club I can use the latest dies without having to shell out $$$ and worry if I will ever use the die set again! It's a win-win all the way around for me!
                            Debbie, you will have to see if your shop owner will get the necessary dies for next year's BOM!! That could be good for the shop and good for TQS!

Comment

You are so right Margo....I know she has some of Sarah's dies....shouldn't be a hard 'sell' at all...Whoo-Hoo!!!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2044 users online. 191 members and 1853 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X