Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Alex's "mini iron"

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex's "mini iron"

Just wondering if anyone else uses the Hobbico Mini Iron that Alex uses. There was a review on Amazon from someone that worked in a quilt store which sold the irons. She indicated that after about a year (when the warranty was over) they quit. The store stopped selling them. I'm looking for something more lightweight than my full size iron to use for applique. Any comments or suggestions?

I do I order it throw Nancy I think

Comment

I don't have any of the dedicated small irons for quilters, but I use a very small travel iron. There are various different makes on the market and here in the UK you can find them in most department stores.
      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Don't have a mini iron like Alex's, but I have a Clover mini iron. Works well but it's dangerous! I can't use it without burning myself! I also use a Black & Decker travel iron. Its the perfect size for keeping next my machine on my sewing table. I use it with a pressing board I made out of a thrift store cutting board.
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by highplainsquilter
          Just wondering if anyone else uses the Hobbico Mini Iron that Alex uses. There was a review on Amazon from someone that worked in a quilt store which sold the irons. She indicated that after about a year (when the warranty was over) they quit. The store stopped selling them. I'm looking for something more lightweight than my full size iron to use for applique. Any comments or suggestions?
          I've had mine for over a year and it still works fine (hope I didn't just jinxed myself!). I will say that you will get burned if you don't use a hot pad to turn the knob to the 'off' position. The top of my iron gets as hot as the bottom and I didn't even think and went to turn it off the first time I used it and nearly burned my fingerprints off three fingers.

With that said however, I do really like this iron. My MIL gave it to me as a gift and the size is so darn perfect and it gets really HOT so seams are easier to do for me.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
          <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

I don't remember the name of mine but it is like Alex's. It is for sealing shrinking plastic I guess. I bought it from a LQS.

I LOVE IT!!!

It is hotter than blazes and is my favorite for paper piecing as I can have it nearby and not get up for every seam. I only have it on 2 out of 3 settings it is so hot. It doesn't have an OFF position so it needs unplugged when you are done. I like the little stand that came with it.
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
            Tired.
            Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
            BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

Thanks for the tips...it isn't too expensive so maybe I'll try it.

Comment

Originally posted by she-quilts
                I don't remember the name of mine but it is like Alex's. It is for sealing shrinking plastic I guess. I bought it from a LQS.

I LOVE IT!!!

It is hotter than blazes and is my favorite for paper piecing as I can have it nearby and not get up for every seam. I only have it on 2 out of 3 settings it is so hot. It doesn't have an OFF position so it needs unplugged when you are done. I like the little stand that came with it.
                Yours doesn't have an 'off' position? That's weird. I wonder why mine does.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Originally posted by ladyquilter

Yours doesn't have an 'off' position? That's weird. I wonder why mine does.
                  When I first got it, I turned it all the way down... STILL ON! :shock:
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  Tired.
                  Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                  BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

I just finished a paper-pieced project and used it on a table next to the sewing machine. It was handy and plenty hot (and mine has no shutoff either, except pulling the plug), but ...

The angle was wrong, and I ended up aggravating my elbow with it, which ended up needing a shot of cortisone to stop the intense pain.

Next time, I'm trying a different type of iron.

Plus, it will be a long time before I do another paper pieced project!

BethMI

Comment

Oh Beth! How yucky! I'm sorry you had issues with your elbow.

I so love paper piecing... can you raise or lower the position of the table or put it right next to your machine? I'd hate to see you chuck the iron &amp; paper piecing b/c of this. ((hugs))
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      Tired.

Comment

I have had this iron for many years. It has off button but my idea of off is to unplug it. Started that habit after leaving my regular iron on for two days once.

This iron is very hot and you need to be careful where you lay it. As others have said, it is awkward to use. Beats the Clover mini iron hands down. Clover iron is way too small.

Barbara

Comment

I've left my iron on too long also...not a good idea. Alex's classroom video's recommend not using the stand that comes with the iron. Guess I'll probably get one...from my internet search some of the sites have prices in the $40 range and some around $15...they both look like the same product. Regarding the Clover... I had my doubts about that one...thinking it would be too small. Glad to see your confirmation of that...thanks!

Comment

Go to amazon com. The hobbico is the lower price you named, there.

Comment

If I'm picturing the right thing, I think the Clover mini iron is more for doing things like pressing fusible bias strips, rather than pressing open seams... although I supposed it could be used for small seams. I bought one, but forget to get it out and use it very often. I also have a Hobbico iron, that is nice, but I don't like the handle, I guess it is something I need to get used to, but it just feels awkward to me, having the handle behind the iron instead of "over" the iron.

When I'm doing my piecing, more often than not, I'm chain piecing, and after I get a lot done, will get up away from my machine to go press all my seams. That gives me a reason to get up out of my chair and stretch my legs, especially if I'm spending my whole day sewing. I do want to try some paper piecing, and I will have to remember to get my small irons out and see which one I like better for paper piecing.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2116 users online. 218 members and 1898 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X