Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Ironing Board

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironing Board

We're always talking about irons, but I'd like to know how you feel about your ironing board. I think I'm going to be the market for a new one soon and I can't figure out if there is really any difference between them. I'm beginning to think my surface is to "fluffy" and should be more firm. I'd also like to find a larger size. Suggestions?

I made one using 1/4 " pressed board from the home center. the boards usually are 4 feet long and perfect for pressing yards of fabric. layer thin batting and then cotton canvas and staple gun to the back side. I finished the back side with felt by the yard and glue. This sits on top of my regular iron board. When not in use ( a rare occasion) I slip it between my cutting table and the wall. I have lines drawn down the center for pressing sewn strips and also use it for blocking blocks.

Comment

I made a couple from OSB board. You can buy it at stores like Home Depot, Rona and Revy where they sell lumber. It comes in 4' by 8' sheets, wasn't too expensive about $8 a sheet and most places will cut it for you. They cut it 3' by 6' and then the 2' square piece from the end I made a smaller one. I did the same as Cheryl in the last post. A layer of cotton batt and cotton canvas, stapled on the back. I didn't cover the back with felt, I just covered the stapled edges with some duct tape. When the top gets yucky from glue and starch etc, I can easily undo the staples and put a new canvas top on. After you have it all stapled, use a spray bottle and spray the top with water to soak it and then leave it to dry. The cotton in the batt and canvas will shrink and tighten right up to your board.
      Since I have used these, I don't think I've even touched my regular ironing board. I really prefer the harder surface now for pressing. They are really easy to make, give it a try and I bet you use it more than your regular one too.

Vancouver, BC Canada

Comment

If you need an actual ironing board, WalMart has a wider, longer board than the standard ones. It's sturdy and well-made. I've used mine for about three years now.

Comment

These are great ideas. I never thought about making one to sit on top of the one I already have. I'll check out Walmart as well. Thanks ladies.

Comment

http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com/Classes.aspx
            Here is a link to Sharon Schambers free videos and she has instructions on making the pressing board.

Comment

Every ironing board I've ever owned has developed a bow down the centre, lengthwise. I'm not sure if it's because my husband leans on it when he irons his shirts, or if I'm doing it somehow. A friend of mine says it has never happened to her. I've bought standard ironing boards and an expensive Polder one, and it's happened to all of them. Anyone have any ideas about this?

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Here's a link for the company that sells my best ironing surface for quilting: http://www.guardian-tablepad.com/sewez.html
                Their primary product is table pads. The Sew EZ board can be pinned into for blocking, the surface is very firm and the back can be used as a small design wall. I have the larger of the two boards offered. The surface does give off an odor when using a hot iron, however, it does not transfer to the fabric and I overlook the small deficit as it's other qualities are sterling. I slip my cutting mat inside the fold when neither is in use. This would be my choice of pressing surface even if I had a huge studio to sew in.

Comment

I bought mine from Nancy's Notions, and it's wonderful, though I don't remember the brand name. It has a sleeve board that slides out of the way, an end rest for the iron, and a rod with dents to hang clothes hangers that folds out of the way. I also use it by adjusting it at the right level to help handle larger quilts by my machine. And when I need a hard ironing surface, I place two of Sharon Schamber's boards on it. It's a great system. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                  Betty Jo

Comment

We built our own ironing board fitted to my ironing board.

Here was the directions:

http://www.angelfire.com/art3/elaine...shop/Iron.html

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                    Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2111 users online. 241 members and 1870 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X