Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Sewline Fabric Pencil

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewline Fabric Pencil

Just got my Sewline Fabric Pencil!!! ($12.95) Absolutely put this one in the TQS Treasure Chest for all to share! I purchased the white one. The eraser (on the pencil end) DOES take the marks off. And the marks also come off with water (before ironing!) Comes in a variety of colors but I can only speak to the white. LOVE IT! It works the best on a sandboard but pretty darn great without it too!
    Also bought the separate Eraser Stick ($3.75) and couldn't stop there so bought the Fabric Glue Pen ($5.95) (dries clear & water soluble) Love it tooo! My contributions to "stimulating" the Quilt economy! Not in my LQS' yet -- I ordered online after seeing the Fabric Pencil given a rave review in Quilter's Home mag.

Diane

I have mine with me in every quilting class I go to .... I LOVE IT !!

Comment

Originally posted by BeardieLover
      Just got my Sewline Fabric Pencil!!! ($12.95) Absolutely put this one in the TQS Treasure Chest for all to share! I purchased the white one. The eraser (on the pencil end) DOES take the marks off. And the marks also come off with water (before ironing!) Comes in a variety of colors but I can only speak to the white. LOVE IT! It works the best on a sandboard but pretty darn great without it too!
      Also bought the separate Eraser Stick ($3.75) and couldn't stop there so bought the Fabric Glue Pen ($5.95) (dries clear & water soluble) Love it tooo! My contributions to "stimulating" the Quilt economy! Not in my LQS' yet -- I ordered online after seeing the Fabric Pencil given a rave review in Quilter's Home mag.

Diane
      Diane, where did you get yours? I've never heard anything about them?
      Charlotte

Comment

Do the lines rub off before you want them to? That seems to be the problem I have with all chalk-based markers.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I have the Bohin mechanical pencil and the sewline .9mm pencil leads work in the Bohin.

e-quilter carries the pencils and the lead...
          http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_search.html

I love the ceramic lead...it is water soluble and made for fabrics. Since it is not chalk..from my experience it stays on until you take it off.
          I also like that comes in different colors...like green, yellow, pink.

FW

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

To answer all . . .

I bought mine from http://www.kindredquilts.com and got it really quickly! :lol:

They come in colors -- black, white, green, pink and yellow
            I only purchased the white.

The marks come off with water (before ironing) or you can erase them off with the eraser at the end of the pencil and yes, for once they really do erase off without fabric distortion -- at least with the white they did!

For marking my applique pieces I use a sandboard and the pencil really works well with it -- nice thin lines and the best is no sharpening!!

I "tested" it out on a cranberry red fabric -- lines came out!

I swear I'm the queen of trying out every fabric marker out there!

Comment

Originally posted by EditorAnne
              Do the lines rub off before you want them to? That seems to be the problem I have with all chalk-based markers.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada.
              Anne!
              The lines stay put until you take them out -- I don't use a heavy hand when I mark -- I'm sure you don't either.

Diane

Comment

Originally posted by FabricWhisperer
                I have the Bohin mechanical pencil and the sewline .9mm pencil leads work in the Bohin.

e-quilter carries the pencils and the lead...
                http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_search.html

I love the ceramic lead...it is water soluble and made for fabrics. Since it is not chalk..from my experience it stays on until you take it off.
                I also like that comes in different colors...like green, yellow, pink.

FW
                I also have the Bohin pencil but it's pretty messy and the lines are thick unless you sharpen all the time -- the leads tend to break easily -- with the Sewline the ceramic lead is finer and I haven't had it break . . . yet.

What colors do you have? I'm tempted to try the black -- do you have it and if so how well does it remove? Thanks for letting me know that equilter has them!

Diane

Comment

Diane, where did you get yours? I've never heard anything about them?
                  Charlotte[/quote]

Hi Charlotte!
                  I saw a little article about them in the March issue of Quilter's Home (page 80) and the reference to purchase at http://www.kindredquilts.com -- they came very quickly and the shipping wasn't very expensive. They also come with 6 refill leads. You only have to purchase the pencil once -- after that it's just buying the refills.

I've been using the Sewline glue stick and love it too -- not as messy -- smaller in circumference -- great cap and it also comes with a refill.

Comment

I picked up a pencil and all the colors last summer and LOVE IT!!! With the thinner lead, I can make more precise markings. I've never had a problem with getting the marks out and they don't wipe off like chalk does.

One of my most favorite tools!

Comment

Originally posted by BeardieLover
                      Anne!
                      The lines stay put until you take them out -- I don't use a heavy hand when I mark -- I'm sure you don't either.

Diane
                      Thanks, Diane. Actually, my biggest problem is that I can never see whatever I've put on the fabric, so I use a heavier hand than most. I know, bad me. And the pencils always break. I'm going to try these ceramic babies! Thanks to everyone for the info.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I just learned from another webside that Fons & Porter has a "ceramic" marking pencil, there is a Bohin "ceramic" marking pencil as well as the Sewline.

I wasn't aware that Bohin or Fon & Porter had one -- sew I stand corrected.

Regardless try one -- I love mine -- I do use it with a sandboard tho!

Diane

Comment

Originally posted by kimber
                          I picked up a pencil and all the colors last summer and LOVE IT!!! With the thinner lead, I can make more precise markings. I've never had a problem with getting the marks out and they don't wipe off like chalk does.

One of my most favorite tools!
                          TOTALLY agree with you! Where did you get yours last summer!!! Oh I could have been using them all this time!!!
                          Do all the colors come out as well as the white does?

Comment

I made a set of samples last week-end to test 8 different markers. Because I always wash my quilts, I wanted to see how easily the marks came out in the washer.
                            It was not exactly scientific research, but was informative.
                            I used unwashed fabric, two white pieces and two black.
                            I marked each fabric with the appropriate marker and kept one black and one white as references, then I just threw the other two into a load of regular wash...hot wash/cold rinse/Tide detergent.
                            One of the markers I tested was the Bohin, and I've decided that I really like the mark that it makes, and every bit came out in the wash. I'll be using this one a lot from now on!

You might want to try a similiar test to see how to get the marks out without running it through a wash cycle.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Great idea to make a sample piece with the markers Margo. I wish I would think about those things before I dive right in. Of course, then I might of never started quilting. lol
                              Charlotte

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2040 users online. 188 members and 1852 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X