Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Basting guns?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basting guns?

I am thinking about buying a basting gun - I haven't got a table big enough to take a large quilt and have to resort to crawling around on the floor - to make life more comfortable for my knees I am thinking of a basting gun - has anybody else used one and do they work well? Thanks! :?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

I don't have one but before you go that route, check Sharon Schamber's method for basting while sitting at a table. I think there's a link on here somewhere in one of the threads, but it's terrific! You wouldn't believe how easy on the back and knees it is!!
    Florence

Comment

Yes, I use a basting gun. I find it holds the quilt sandwich together as well as safety pins, and the fasteners are easier to remove as I am quilting. I have been known to stitch right over them...with not to much damage to the sewing needle, and can still nip them out with fingernail clippers afterwards .
      I use the Micro Stitch by Avery. It has smaller fasteners and a much smaller needle then the regular basting gun. This means a smaller hole through the fabric and the smaller fasteners hold the quilt sandwich tighter. You will have to resupply yourself with the fasteners. They are not too hard to locate. Both our LQS and the Keepsake Quilting website carries them. I tend to use more fasteners with Micro Stitch then with safety pin basting because they are easier to apply. A handy trick is to use a marble which you can easily roll around under the quilt sandwhich to lift up the area your are basting (a must...to protect the guns needle). The marble (I use a bingo ball...slightly larger and of wood) can be pushed around with your fingers from the front of the quilt sandwich. This is easier then trying to move the plastic grid that you usually have to use with basting guns.
      I might still be on the floor basting a quilt, but it goes together quicker and I don't end up ripping up my fingers pushing and closing safety pins. The only downside is you will have the ongoing expense of the fasteners.
      Hope this helps.
      Mary

Comment

Thanks for the info Florence and Mary - I am going to look for that link re basting on a table and I'll have a look at the Avery basting gun as well. The marble/ball idea is brilliant - thanks again!

Comment

If you want to save your knees and your tables at home aren't big enough, ask if you can use the tables at your local school, church hall, WI hall, Scout hut, etc...... I bet they'll let you push together several tables and baste your quilts when nothing else is going on.

If you don't mind spending a little money, The Bramble Patch (and most other longarm quilters) will thread baste your quilts on one of their longarm machines, and they always make a super job of it.

Lorchen
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Forgotten to say: For laptop and single size quilts I often use a basting spray (available from Asding, for example).

Lorchen
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

The last couple quilts I did I used Sharon Schambers method to baste quilts but instead of sewing the basting I used the Avery Dennison gun to baste. I do it on a 6 ft plastic type table and nothing on top of the table. I just push the needle of the basting gun in and back out sideways to take a little stitch and it slides on the plastic tabletop with no damage to the table or needle. It has worked great for me. No puckers and quick to baste. It does take a while to find and remove all the little plastic thingys though.

Karen
              Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I use a table that isn't large enough for the quilt but I am not going to baste a quilt on the floor. I just lay it all out and start in the middle then carefully move the quilt sandwich as need be. I haven't used a basting gun but it sure sounds interesting!

JoAnne
                Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I received one of Harriet Hargrave Machine Quilting books for Christmas and she has a section on basting a quilt that I am going to try for my next quilt. I have only read it once so can't describe it but will let you know how I like it after I try it.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips - I did think of our local hall Hannelore, but have found one of the Avery micro basting guns on ebay and have got one of those coming - that should make it a bit quicker at least. Thanks again for all the tips!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2000 users online. 164 members and 1836 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X