Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Ding Thing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ding Thing

Saw a tool at a LQS that held the ruler down and kept your hand out of the way but it was pricey It looked like two suction cups on the ends of a flattened out "u" shaped handle. Dh and his friends said it is a "ding thing" that you can get cheaper at an automotive parts store. Also it is sometimes called a glass carrier because glass cutters use a similar tool to that for carrying glass sheets a short distance.

Searched through about five auto parts places and all I could get was a single suction cup which had a diameter of appr. 5 inches for about $4.00 they had a double handled one but it came in a kit with a glue gun and glue and someother things I didn't need and that was about $20.00 if someone had use for the other stuff it would still be a good deal because the LQS one was nearly $25.00. I just didn't need to clutter up the tool shed with unnecessary stuff.

Any way I bought the single one and love it. My hand is out of the way of the cutter (would be great for teaching kids to cut--- maybe will let dgd do some cutting this year if she will use it with the ruler) and the ruler seems to be steadier and I have problems with wobbly rulers.

any way for four dollars how could I lose and the next time I put a dent in the car I can fix it myself. LOL ROFLOL Ann

Ann

That is a great idea. I need to get one for my rulers. Would sure be alot less clumsy for me! I have seen these but don't know the names of them.
    Hugzzz,Kathy

Comment

I think you are talking about the "Gypsy Gripper". They are about $20-25. They look pretty handy and make cutting safer!
      WandaM
      Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

What a great idea. The first place I would search for something like that would be eBay. Always my first choice for stuff I want a deal on. I don't always find what I want but I always look.
        Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

i did not see any thing like that at the auto parts store but i did find these handy telescoping magnets at my local autozone. they are the size of a ballpoint pen and have a strong magnet at the end i thought they would be great for picking up stray pins that fall in to the crevices of my couch or even on the floor. i bought 2 one for upstairs and one for down in the sewing room.
          Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Ann, you can get the same thing (different color from Gypsy Gripper) at Linens N Things or Bed, Bath & Beyond, for about $10. They are shower handles, the color is blue and white. Exactly the same as the Gypsy thing. I've been using one for more than six months and I love it. It keeps the ruler from slipping, no slips since I started. I like it so much that everyone in my quilt class wanted them so I bought 25 of them. They are all happy with them!
            JoAnne
            Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll be checking in to it. My husband has the telescoping magnet - and we have used it several times! :lol: He hates stray pins and needles. Must be some experience from his childhood... and if there are any lying around, he's the one who will step on it!
              Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

Ann, I also use my "ding thing" (I got a cheap one from "Create for Less) for carrying around my plexiglass extension table for my sewing machine. It's the big one and I always schlepped it around in the box until I saw one of those and had a "light-bulb" moment!

Thanks for bringing this subject up!

neen
                Happy Quilting,

Shiner TX

Comment

My husband has a needle/pin thing too. I can get down on my hands and knees and pick up pins and he can walk in the room and spot one and makes a big production of letting me know he found a pin in the floor.

Comment

I went to the tool store with DH a few days ago and saw a magnetic dish with a telescoping magnet and a telescoping little mirror. The dish is just what I needed for the sewing machine. It has a weighted bottom and will stay anywhere on the machine. The telescoping magnet is great to pick up pins from the floor. I don't know what the mirror is good for yet. Oh, well, the whole set was less than $5. I wouldn't have thought of it unless you gals had mentioned it. Thank you very much!! All the help around here is wonderful :lol: 8) Carolyn

Comment

Carolyn,
                      What kind of sewing machine do you have? If you have a computerized one, it would not be a good idea to put the magnetic dish on it. It could screw up the computer stuff. I put mine next to it but never on it. I learned my lesson when I was moving stuff around in my sewing room and put it on top of the tv and the whole corner of the picture turned colors. My DD just rolled her eyes at me and took it off.
                      Frances

Comment

Oh, My, I never thought about that!!! Thank you so.o.o o o much !! I sure don't want to hurt my sewing machine!! I will go and remove it right now! Thanks again, Carolyn

Comment

Under Berninas on the forum back in Aug there was a topic about magnets and computerized machines that you might want to look at.
                          Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Thank you!! I went back and read the Bernina info and I think I will keep my magnet dish away from my machine. Thank you, Ladies. Carolyn
                            Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2021 users online. 174 members and 1847 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X