Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Things I'm glad I bought, and wish I had known about sooner

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mailmanldy
    Originally posted by djane
    Originally posted by beckyezra
    i love my freezerpaper, magnet gudget that you put on the right side of the foot on the sewing machine so you have great 1/4", school glue for stubborn meeting points, inklingo things, sharon schamber things, och....so much, my quilt magazines,....and i wish i had know quilting 20 years ago!
    Someone told me that you shouldn't have anything magnetic (pin cushion, seam guide, etc) near a computerized sewing machine as it could mess up the board. Does anyone know if this is true or just one of those things that go around? It did make sense to me as magnets are not good for personal computers but I don't know anything about how a computeriized sewing machine works.

It may have been true at one time, but I think now days, there isn't enough power in the magnets that are made to use on your sewing machine that they will do anything to your machines insides.
    Thanks mailmanldy. I have wondered about the magnet thing since I purchased a computerized machine.
    Deborah W

Comment

I just found my packet of used 45m rotary cutting blades and would like to try to sharpen a few of them. Has anyone had success with sharpening? I saw an ad for a machine but at $70.00 I could buy alot of new ones. I have tried the $16.00 one but without success. Just wondering. :?:
      Deborah W

Comment

Originally posted by Mailmanldy
        Originally posted by aggiebabe
        Two things --

2.) Mary Ellen's Best Press Starch Alternative -- this stuff rocks! I love it on clothing and quilting fabric!

Chelley
        I bought some of Mary Ellen's Best Press Starch Alternative at my LQS and have been using it on my One Block Wonder quilts. It has helped so much in keeping my bias edges from streching while sewing the hexagons together. I just went to look on Mary Ellen's website to see what it sells for there... and I was surprsied to see that they now have gallon refill sizes. That is like getting TWO bottles for FREE.. and better yet, you don't have to buy a new spray bottle each time you run out.
        I was so hoping for a less expensive way to get more of this stuff rather than having to buy a spray bottle each time I ran out. And they also have a new UNScented, so if you didn't like any of the scents they offered, or didn't want any scents in your quilts, you can now get it unscented.

Diane in Colorado Springs
        Diane,
        If you look on Amazon, they have the Best Press for a lot less than I've seen anywhere else.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I'm soon buying a surgical seam ripper. I got a chance to try one out at a recent quilting class. It only costs about $4 and works like a dream.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

This is the one I use, and I love it! http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...mp;code=148507

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo--that thing looks deadly.

My husband bought me a contractors calculator. I love it--you can put in fractions or decimals and a whole lot more that I don't know.

Comment

It's much more dangerous when I'm out of estrogen, if you know what I mean!! :lol:

Comment

I know only tooooooo well!

Comment

Margo, that is the kind of seam ripper I have too. Love it. One of the kids gave it to me in my Christmas stocking a few years ago. I still don't know which kid. But I'm thankful. With that, a good pair of tweezers, and my good glasses, frogging is easier :lol: :lol: . Hopefully it isn't black fabric like the last quilt I did. :cry: :cry:

Comment

Margo--I will second the surgical seam ripper. I'm considering purchasing a second one, one for the sewing room, one for the hand work corner. I have everything else I use regularly at different stations in duplicate or even triplicate. I love the hemostat more than tweezers for pulling out the bits of thread. I actually "stole" mine from my son's tool box, much less expensive at the auto parts store than at a fabric shop if they carry them.

Comment

Originally posted by games
                        I just found my packet of used 45m rotary cutting blades and would like to try to sharpen a few of them. Has anyone had success with sharpening? I saw an ad for a machine but at $70.00 I could buy alot of new ones. I have tried the $16.00 one but without success. Just wondering. :?:
                        I send mine to http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html and exchange them for new ones. Sure you have to pay but there is no hassle. I think I got my new blades before the check cleared the bank.
                        I've tried sharpening and was not impressed.

Coast of South Carolina USA
                        Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Originally posted by pamo65
                          Originally posted by games
                          I send mine to http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html and exchange them for new ones. Sure you have to pay but there is no hassle. I think I got my new blades before the check cleared the bank.
                          I've tried sharpening and was not impressed.
                          Thanks Pam! This is a very timely post for me! I used to use Tom's service for re-sharpening, and didn't realize that he now sends you new blades! What a deal!!

Comment

Wow, that blade exchange sounds like a good deal. I may just have to start hoarding my old blades.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about exchanging the blades. Since I haven't purchased my surgical seam ripper yet, I did not know that the blades were replaceable. I want to get the one that comes with a blade cover, because the blades are very sharp. This tool would make a great gift for my quilty friends--hopefully, none of them are reading this blog post.

Speaking of great gifts, for Christmas, one of my quilty friends gave me a Scissor Spot™/Pin Place™ magnet that attaches to my sewing machine via a suction cup. It took a little while for me to get used to using it, but now I love it and don't know how I lived without it. Check it out here http://www.blue-feather.com/scissorspotpinplace.html

Comment

Nancy, that is brilliant!! I have never seen them before. I am going to have to get one. Thank you for showing it to us

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2093 users online. 205 members and 1888 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X