Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Things I'm glad I bought, and wish I had known about sooner

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe everyone knew about this but it was new to me. I love quilt pattern softcover books but they were such a pain to use when they wouldn't stay flat. Then I found out that Office Max will cut off the binding and spiral bind the books for $2.65. Almost as good as the 1/4 inch foot. Well maybe not that good but up there.

Comment

I love this idea :shock: I will definitely keep this in mind with some of the softcover books I use over and over. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Two things --

1.) A peephole -- for looking at quilts on a design wall. It gives an interesting distance perspective. I would recommend a wide angle peephole. They run about $5 at a hardware store.

2.) Mary Ellen's Best Press Starch Alternative -- this stuff rocks! I love it on clothing and quilting fabric!

Chelley

Comment

What is a trolly needle? Sounds like something I need, although I would probably be the one to poke my eye. lol

Comment

Judy, that's the tool! I wear it on the middle or ring finger of my right hand, so I still have use of my index finger for picking up piece, pins, etc.

Although actually this past week I tried to pay extra attention to which tools I used most, and I found myself more often grabbing an orangewood (manicure/cuticle) stick for a stilletto -- the flat side of the "pushing" end hlods the fabrics well and slides along the bed of the machine right up between the "toes" of my presser foot. It isn't as handy as the trolley needle, but it work a littl better for me.

Comment

I have a big board, and I decided that the space underneath it was wasted when it was on the ironing board (not to mention my cats kept knocking it over when they jumped on it). I found a storage bookcase from IKEA that was the perfect size, and the perfect height, and now I have more storage...something we all look for, right?!! I just keep it pulled out from the wall a couple of inches so that when I press long lengths of fabric or a quilt, it can go over the back side freely.
              Linda in NJ

Comment

I love my June Tailor Shape cut with the 1/2" slots. I use it for virtually all my cutting. I am on my second one, as I wore the first one out.

I made myself one of those large ironing board surfaces to fit over the existing board. I just hate to iron on a regular ironing board now!

Diane in OH

Comment

ALSO, years ago my dad made me a cutting table with adjustable legs. I am fairly tall, so I can make it tall enough to cut comfortably for hours if need be!

Diane in OH

Comment

I have another favorite now! The Clover Quick Yo Yo Maker. Clover has a heart shaped, flower shaped and square shaped yo yo too! I can make up a dozen yo yos in no time.

Comment

I have a bit of arthritis in my hands - it makes picking up regular scissors (the ones with the loops) to clip threads difficult. I can't imagine being without my "tweezer scissors" - those are the ones that you just squeeze to clip threads when I'm sewing. They're lightweight and so sharp. They're too small for cutting bigger things, but sitting next to all of my machines, they're fabulous for me. I even got a local store to start carrying them after I discussed them. They've sold a bunches of them. I've bought many of these and have them everywhere!

Comment

Sewbug.......regarding a previous comment you made. I thought my mother was the only one who put the laundry in the fridge and then used a "pop" bottle to sprinkle water while ironing!!! I had no idea that was a common practice "way back when"!!! :roll:

Some things I can't do without: my soft-touch Fiskars, my Olfa ergonomic cutter, my Koala sewing cabinet, my Clover needle threader, I have so many quilting gadgets I love I can't name them all.

I also cross stitch my labels. I really like the added artistry look.

Patricia in AL

Comment

Golly! You made me remember clothes in the fridge, and the soda pop bottle with the holes in the cap! Now that does take me back! ???? Mayb e further than I really want to go. LOL

Comment

I'm 44 y/o and I remember my mom's bag of clothes in the frig and the coke bottle w/ a special rubber stopper cap w/ holes for sprinkling them.

I always wished we had full coke bottles. :wink:

Joyce
                            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                            working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                            Tired.
                            Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                            BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

On a whim, and thinking myself very extravagant, I got one of these a few months ago. What a difference. My piecing now is DEAD ON!!

I would heartily recommend you spring for one of these.

Mine is from Pfaff, but I know most of the major machine companies have them out now.

BethMI

Comment

Does anyone know if the Bernina #57 foot (the 1/4 inch with a fence) works with the Bernina Artista (180) machines? The Bernina website says the foot can be used with machines that have a MAXIMUM 5 mm (and the Artista does 9 mm), but I don't understand why it wouldn't work...

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1939 users online. 172 members and 1767 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25585   Active Members: 1,289  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X