Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Office Supply Needle Puller

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office Supply Needle Puller

Use a clean "rubber finger" from the office supply store. Turn it inside-out so that the smooth side is out (the bumps will unthread your needle if you skip this step). Place on your index finger and it will help you grab your hand sewing needle.

Perfecto! Because I discovered it DID unthread my needle so felt it was worthless! Great tip.

Comment

When DH and I did a lot of hand quilting together we had just started so we didn't know too much about anything ; and we really had a hard time pulling the thread through the fabric sometimes. After a few evenings, he brought in his needle-nosed pliers (the ones with a spring-action grip) which completely solved the problem. Since then we've used up several (or used and lost several ops: ) and they've always worked great for us. They're not very expensive and look so ... innovative ... in the sewing basket.

Theresa

Comment

Men come up with the most unique solutions to sewing problems lol :lol:

Comment

I bought a very thin paintbrush and when I got it home I realized that the little rubber protector they put on the brisel (sp? senior moment) was the perfect thing for pulling the needle thru my quilting. It is small and works wonderfully. Easy to lose if I am not careful! ritzy

Comment

Well, I'm a doctor and I realized that surgical hemostats are the perfect needle puller. Then, I noticed, they've started selling them in on line catalogs for just that same purpose!
            The only problem is that they rough up the needle and can bend it if you aren't careful, but they've saved my fingers!
            Michele

Comment

I love the vendor at the Quilt (or craft) shows that sells all the medical and dental tools that we love to use for sewing and crafting. And they carry lots of my favorite useful collection item--scissors!

Comment

I noticed plier and hemostats being used for pulling needles thru. Yes, they work well, but I also noted they did scar up the needle or break the needle if you're too rough which I obviously was.

I noted you "quiltydoc" and I'm a nurse-let's hope YOU are doing the stitching and I'm just handing off instruments! LOL

I have found the best is still the finger 'cot' from office supply store (turned inside out to keep from unthreading the needle) still works the best for me. I can just leave it on my finger while quilting and it's 'there' when I need it!

Lynn, Houston

Comment

I'm also a nurse, but have specialized in Psychiatric/Mental Health nursing for the last quarter of a century. In my quilting group up north in MI, we referred to the little finger cots as condomminimums, since that's what they resemble.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Originally posted by pknord
                    condomminimums
                    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I place a finger cot aroung my filled bobbins. It keeps the thread in place and when I drop one, it doesn't roll across the floor. Put it on only half way so you can see what color thread is on the bobbin. Love any product with dual duty. Love that word" condomminimums" Thanks for the laugh :lol: Betty Ann in Fl

Comment

Thanks for the laugh, Pat. I'm a nurse too. My first love was psych nursing but never ended up working in that area. I've done home care for the past 16 years.

Comment

Yes, I've ruined a few needles with the hemostat. I'm an internist, not a surgeon. In fact, when I was a student, a chief of surgery told me NOT to go into surgery! He thought I had no "eye hand coordination" .
                          Video games weren't invented then. Now, the residents all play video games to practice for laparoscopy! Go figure.

I guess I've developed some eye-hand coordination since then, since I love hand quilting! Surgeons knots come in handy for sewing, too. Also for fishing, as evidenced in my picture! My daughter snags the bottom all the time and I end up cutting her monofilament and tying on new hooks!
                          Medicine comes in handy for all KINDS of hobbies!

Comment

I have just bought some rubber finger cones (Thimblettes) for helping with grip on free embroidery on the machine. Seem to work great without having to resort to whole gloves. Mind you I have big hands and the medium are large on me. :roll:

Comment

I use a standard office rubber finger instead of a thimble, it gives some protection but I can still feel what I'm doing. A certain amount of caution is required :? , but since my hand quilting is very limited (I can't get the hang of the rocking motion and taking multiple stitches onto the needle, so I just do a stitch at a time) I find it works for me. I bought a job lot on ebay, so I won't be running out any time soon

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2038 users online. 185 members and 1853 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X