Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Choosing the right design software

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing the right design software

I have bought Quilt Pro 5 and I am now wondering if I did the right thing and maybe should have bought EQ instead. I am finding it tough going and not very intuitive.

Has anyone else struggled on and eventually loved it? Or - should I change over now while I still have some hair not pulled out?

I have tried Quilt Pro and found that I didnt much care for it, EQ5 had a learning curve but EQ6 is a dream. Some of the advanced functions may take a while to master but the documentation and tutorials are really good. I think you would be happy with EQ6. I also use Corel Draw quite a bit, I was resistant to it at first but I have designed quite a few patterns in Corel. You can download a demo at their site and try it out.

Drew

Comment

I got Quilt Pro 3 a bunch of years ago. Not knowing much about either one. I have used it many times and I think as you get to know the program, you get to use it eassier. But after watching QNN and seeing them work with EQ, I should have gotten that. Maybe now that it has been a few years, I should upgrade to EQ. I tried to upgrade my Quilt Pro, but now it will NOT upgrade on my new computer. The upgrade was a separate disk and it will not load on the new computer.

Donna, LEH,NJ tobylehnj

Comment

Hi: I just started using the quilting program in Artista Designer Plus V.4 and have found I am loving it. Still a lot to learn, but many things are similar to the embroidery part so I am used to it. If you happen to have it give it a try.

Barb

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. I really want to get into a package and start being productive. Perhaps I'll take the plunge and try EQ6 - then I'll be able to comment on the diff.

I use Photoshop PE, a bit similar to the Corel that Drew is using I guess, for designing things for applique and that is great. Fortunately I have a long history of using Photoshop itself so no learning curve.

I've yet to dive into the artista design stuff that came with my Bernina 200 but it's on the agenda! All I need is more hours in a day.

Comment

I have EQ6 but it is so advanced that I find I don't use all the features and get confused if I don't use the program frequently to keep it fresh in my mind on what to do. EQ has a new software called Quilt Wizard. It's fast and easy to use. I like it much better.

Comment

Quilt Wizard is great if all you want to do is design and layout the quilts. If you want to design and/or draw your own blocks and applique, design your own quilting designs, use your own fabrics, then I would go for EQ5 or 6 (depending on your computer system). You can also use it to print out cards to match your quilt, I used it for gift tags at Christmas this year.
              I personally have EQ5 & EQ6 and love them. I teach it locally as well. I can't compare it to Corel or the others, as I have not tried them. I do have the Artista V5 software- and that is similar to Quilt Wizard. But I do love and use EQ a great deal and am very pleased with it and the tech support from the company.
              QuiltingNana

Comment

Add my name to those who love EQ5. I've just ordered the upgrade to EQ6 and look forward to all the new features. One of the very best things about the program is that it allows you to download fabrics from online sources, so you can play with the actual fabrics you are considering while you design and layout your quilt. I've gone to online fabric store sites like Hancock's of Paducah or Electric Quilt, copied the image of fabric I like and imported it into EQ5. I can then preview the different looks and make better fabric decisions. Just love this technology!

Comment

Hi everyone

I am new to quilting so I have much to learn, I was adviced to buy EQ6, there is alot to learn but with the easy to follow tutorials I think I should be able to master it. At least with it I should be able to transfer everything in my head to fabric somehow!! Well the ideas for quilts anyhow. :roll:

Comment

guess I am really old fashioned but my sketch pad and a pencil (with a good eraser) are still my favorite design tools. They go everywhere, never needs updating, take little or no time to learn and are cheap. Maybe some day I will bite the bullet and go High Tech but just wanted to give a little encouragement to those who are like me and stick to the simple stuff

Comment

Snow--I'm a member of the paper and pencil set. I use graph paper and colored pencils and lots of erasers. I keep it all by my chair and just grab it when an idea strikes me. I love the design process as much or more than the construction process.

Comment

I just got back from an EQ6 workshop with Barb Vlack. I never really put my EQ5 to good use....just played with it some. I heartily recommend taking an EQ class if you get the chance. It really inspired me and I learned alot about my computer and EQ6. I think the key to making good use of it is to practice, practice, practice, and then actually design and make a real quilt from your design. I think I could get easily hooked on it and it may get me out of "my comfort zone".

Comment

I just purchased the Foundation Faactory Carol Doak Designer Edition and didn't realize it was only block designs with no ability to add color and had no cutting instructions. Guess you need Quilt Pro to do that part of it.

I'm wondering if there are Happy Users of the QP Systems?

Comment

I am relatively new to quilting and have both EQ5 and EQ6. I was disappointed that there were no "instructions" -- I guess real quilters know what to do! I also have Quilt Wizard which is wonderful for the less experienced quilter like myself.

I will soon retire and on my list of "to do"s is to master EQ6 -- also my digitizing software.

Comment

Hey Ewownow,

EQ6 does come with instructions, they have detailed videos built into the software you can use. They show you in real time exactly how to use the software. If you would prefer books there are quite a few EQ6 books that you can buy, (you can find them on amazon.com). But I would check out the videos first. And will agree that EQ6 does have a learning curve to it but it has a lot of great features, you will pick up, none of were able to just start using it, we had to play with it and watch the videos first.

Drew

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2043 users online. 191 members and 1852 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X