Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

fabric dyeing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jean,
    Go back to my post on July 24, 2007.
    eileenkny 8)

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I haven't done much dyeing, but I use Setacolor. I saw a demonstration with Georgia Bonesteel years ago. I use PFD (which stands for Prepared For Dyeing). You mix the Setacolor to get the color you want. If you want a lighter shade you can add more water or they have something else to add to it to lighten it but I can't remembe what it's called. If you Google Setacolor, you will find places that sell it on the web.

Comment

How is fabric prepared for dying? Is is worth buying the PFD? I'm itching to try dying my own fabric! It's very high on my "wanna try it" list!

Comment

Frances
          I saw this show and I got the setacolor and all the goodies to go with it, I`ll let you know whenever I get a chance to get to it, I am working on a quilt shams and curtains and when they are done, out comes the plastic and dye WHOOO....Jean

Comment

I washed some cotton bras and panties in Synthropol today, and will dye them next week. I rinse them twice to make sure all the detergent is out. After dyeing them, I wash in Synthropol to get out any excess dye, and also use 3 or 4 color-catcher sheets in the wash.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

Originally posted by ipquilter
              How is fabric prepared for dying? Is is worth buying the PFD? I'm itching to try dying my own fabric! It's very high on my "wanna try it" list!
              Hi IPQuilter,
              There are various methods out there to make PFD but this is how I make mine and I have had really good results.

I typically use white bleached muslin but you can also use unbleached. The colors will vary slightly but sometimes not knowing what the results will be is half the fun.

I cut my fabric in 1 or 2 yard lengths right off the bolt. And then I wash it in the washing machine with synthrapol (you don't need much). Typically at this point I throw it in the dryer (no fabric sheets) but if you are impatient then you can skip that step.
              I then fill a buck with very hot water, as hot as you can get out of the tap. I pour in about 1/2 cup sodium carbonate (its cheapest if you buy it at the pool supply store but you can buy it online as well at the pool store I believe they call it PHup)

I then let the fabric soak in this solution overnight, the next day I hang it out to dry.

Once dry, it can keep for several months but its generally best to use it as soon as you can because the chemicals can degrade the fabric.

****One note of CAUTION*****
              Wear a mask and gloves when using sodium carbonate. The fumes can cause respiratory problems and irritate your skin! You should also use them when working with dye.

hope this helps,
              Drew

Comment

Thanx so much Drew. I'm really looking forward to dying fabric. We have a small house so I wouldn't be able to dedicate a room, but with spring finally here maybe I can do a bit out on the deck.

Thanx again!
                Sherry

Comment

Drew, I'm confused by a part of your statement. You say that after you've dyed your fabric, to use it before too long because the chemicals will degrade it. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding your remark, because it would continue to degrade regardless of whether or not it's sewn into a finished project.

Can you clarify this for me? Thanks, Frances

[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by shirmoor
                    Drew, I'm confused by a part of your statement. You say that after you've dyed your fabric, to use it before too long because the chemicals will degrade it. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding your remark, because it would continue to degrade regardless of whether or not it's sewn into a finished project.

Can you clarify this for me? Thanks, Frances
                    [/quote]

Drew was talking about the sodium carbonate process, BEFORE the fabric is dyed. Leaving the sodium carbonate on the fabric will cause the fabric to deteriorate. But once it's dyed and rinsed, then the fabric is stable.

'thann

Comment

I use Jacquard Dye-na-flow (acts like a dye) acrylic paint. It is similar to seta color and works on all types of fabric, cotton, polyester, silk, etc. You need no other chemicals or dust masks.
                      Use prewashed or PFD fabric. Lay fabric out on plastic covered surface, spritz fabric with water. Mix Dye-na-flow colors to your liking or use several colors separately. With a large brush apply colors to fabric, scrunch fabric or add rock salt or?? There are many variations that you can do to get different patterns.
                      When I started quilting about 3 yrs ago I was told about this paint and since I have painted for 40 years I had to try it. No one was available to show me how so I learned on my own.
                      I am now having so much fun with it and teaching my methods to students at a sewing shop. I also teach regular decorative fabric painting with Jaquard Textile paint.
                      Have fun!! Enjoy the day!
                      Carolyn in Oregon

Comment

I took a class last summer through Quilt University. DH and I did the dyeing together. We're planning on doing more this year. We didn't do any over the winter because there's a minimum temperature at which you can dye. Since I really didn't want to do it inside the house, we've had to wait.
                        eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2110 users online. 216 members and 1894 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X