Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

All Things Rhapsody

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NancyinSTL suggested that I share this little tip with y'all on how I got different Rhapsody patterns from the same sketch: If you are using computer software to create your sketch, you can rotate the original piece to get a totally different look. (First I drew the design in the half-square triangle, then copied and flipped it to make a square. Four squares rotated and put together make the whole pattern. Rotate each of the four squares again for a different look.) Clear as mud right? Check the photos on my profile, it's probably easier when you have something visual in front of you.]
    laura

Comment

Thanks Ms. Diva,

Thanks for your latest post. I previously thought you were just rotating or flipping the triangle (1/8 of the design), but now it makes more sense that you instead would be rotating the squares (1/4 of the designs). Again, I think this is a great technique for creating additional designs for consideration. I'm going to try it now, even though it's 3 AM here, because it sounds like fun. My hubby is a night owl too and is still up. I'll let you know when I've posted my new rotated designs.

Nancy

P.S. I gave my husband a demo of "The Quilt Show" last night and he was very impressed with the website's features & functions. I'm very lucky because he understands and supports my quilt passion. It allows him "nag-free" time for his hobby.

Comment

I just posted my rotated designs on my profile, so you can see a few more examples of how rotating can create new designs.

Now, I'm going to go get some ZZZZZZZs. It's great that I'm retired and can sleep in, but I'll probably be up by 9 am. Sleep is overrated. I'd rather be quilting.

Nancy

Comment

A question for Ricky:
          In today's blog, you mentioned that we should be ironing our freezer paper to fabric. Have you talked about fabric selection and I missed it? I'd like to hear how you decide fabrics, i.e. what colors, how many different fabrics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by elsielf
            A question for Ricky:
            In today's blog, you mentioned that we should be ironing our freezer paper to fabric. Have you talked about fabric selection and I missed it? I'd like to hear how you decide fabrics, i.e. what colors, how many different fabrics, etc.
            Ricky, I would love to hear your thoughts on this also. ritzy

Comment

Two things:

1. I'm moving forward by letting you watch me make a quilt that MUST be done by August 1. It is for the front cover of a book. My other choice was to stop all Rhapsody videos until this was done - not a good option for you. You can imagine that trying to video tape - edit - and post all these takes a TON of extra time. Time I don't have. So, I'm letting you watch me do what I do, but not every question will be answered along the way - for this part.

2. Regarding fabrics - I pick fabrics I like. I don't know how many colors or fabrics I will use. I just grab a bunch I like and get started. When I get back to the Rhapsody that YOU will win - I'll get into more detail.

Finally, I do not fuss over anything. I don't ponder for more than about 30 seconds. I chose the fabrics for the quilt you are currently watching me make in about 2 minutes or less. I know I can always change something I don't like - so I'd rather just dig in and get going. Keep watching and in most cases you'll find that I WILL eventually answer all your questions, but in short 5 minute bits - I can't do it all at once.

Ricky - in La Veta, CO

Comment

Hi Elsie,

It was divaofquilts, not me, that used Adobe Illustrator to create her designs. I'm not sure if this is the same software she used to rotate the designs, since I'm not familiar with that software. Unfortunately, I had to do my designs and rotation manually with pencil, paper, scissors, a glue stick and scanner. That's why my designs aren't exactly square. Also, I need to "give my designs a hug". Ricky says that's better than having the design lines falling off the edges. Truthfully, I need to go back and reread the definition of a Rhapsody, because I'm not sure mine exactly fit the definition. Two of my rotated designs don't match on the horizontal & veritical axis, so they aren't true Rhapsody designs. That might explain why they aren't pleasing to the eye.

By the way, your Rhapsody quilts should be prizewinning! They are beautiful!

Nancy

Comment

Hi Elsie,

I use Illustrator of most of my designing besides quilts. It has the Reflect and rotate being discussed. My Rhapsody design in my profile was done in Illustrator in about 10 Minutes using those features.

Denise in a heat wave in Minneapolis

Comment

I'm posting here as well as on the blog. Ricky, why the stay stitching and what is that pattern in the center of the template? I am completely lost!
                    Eileen KNY

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                      I'm posting here as well as on the blog. Ricky, why the stay stitching and what is that pattern in the center of the template? I am completely lost!
                      Eileen KNY
                      The stay-stitching is to keep the curved pieces (that are now very stretchy) from getting out of shape while we handle them. I believe that the design in the middle of the piece was showing where he is going to put his applique and what it is going to look like for that piece. Of course, I could be wrong--but that is my guess. ritzy

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

You are right on ritzy. Just sit back and enjoy this part. Play with colors for YOUR rhapsody and think about what applique shapes might fit in YOUR templates. This is a pretty long process for those of us who don't have the energy to quilt 24 hours a day like Ricky. :wink:
                        Cindy Bell Neville

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
                          Originally posted by eileenkny
                          Eileen KNY
                          The stay-stitching is to keep the curved pieces (that are now very stretchy) from getting out of shape while we handle them. I believe that the design in the middle of the piece was showing where he is going to put his applique and what it is going to look like for that piece. Of course, I could be wrong--but that is my guess. ritzy
                          You'll note the additional BLOG about the subject. However, the stay-stitching is for much more than stopping any stretching - just wait and see. Ricky in Cool Colorado

Comment

I'm confused about the freezer paper size. I don't understand why I need a 26" square if I'm going to use only one quadrant for my templates. It seems to me I could proceed with a 13" square. I know I'm missing something here!

Comment

Judy, if you use a 13" square, your finished quilt will be 26" square. If you want a small quilt, that's okay, but if you want a 52" quilt, you need the 26" square.

Pat in Rockport, TX

Comment

JudyP, The 26 inch square is one quarter of the whole quilt. The quilt will end up 52 X 52. The templates will be used four times in the quilt. If you start with a 13 inch square, the quilt will be only 26 inches square when completed. Betty Ann

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1985 users online. 154 members and 1831 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X