Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

precut fabrics- to wash or not?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

precut fabrics- to wash or not?

I have some precut 2 1/2" batik strips I'll be using soon and need to know should I prewash & treat with retayne? What would be the best way to do this with precuts? All answers would be greatly appreciated as this has been on my mind for awhile now and that's probably why I haven't used these strips yet.
    Thanks,
    Janet

in Vancouver, Canada

Washing will distort these small pieces. Be brave! Make your quilt and THEN soak it in the retayne. My experience has been that batiks don't run, as they are put through rinsing during the manufacturing process, unlike fabrics that are merely printed designs. My humble opinion, and I'd be interested in anyone who has another idea about this.

Comment

I vote NO - they will not survive the experience -

Comment

Well, if Alex says NO, I vote NO, too! Course I've about quit pre-washing anything. I just use color grabber sheets when I wash the finished quilt --- or Retayne.

Comment

I'm glad you asked this because I'm thinking about how best to use these precut sets to help my niece with coming up with projects for her occupational therapy classes she does with folks at the day-care center for the elderly where she works. I was wondering about that the other day. I like the idea of soaking the finished piece with Retayne or color grabber sheets. Thanks!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
          Betty Jo

Comment

A friend gave me a stack of beautiful batik fat quarters as a Christmas gift. Yesterday, I started working on my June Stars for the TQS BOM and planned to use a couple of the dark green batik fat quarters. I was afraid that they might bleed, so I handwashed them at least five times using my regular laundry detergent. They bled a lot at first and were still bleeding a little after the fifth handwashing. Therefore, I decided not to use them in this quilt after all. If they had been narrow strips like yours, I might have considered handwashing them using a lingerie bag.

Betty Jo

Comment

I think you would loose your mind if you tried to pre wash all those strips and have to attempt to untangle them. I have used the batic strips without any problem, but it also didn't include the usual reds blues and blacks that can run. Just my two cents. Cheryl

Betty Jo

Comment

If the quilt is going to be used and washed I always pre-wash. If the fabric is for an art quilt I don't pre-wash.

Betty Jo

Comment

I find it so interesting that we all adapt/adopt our own methods for dealing with this issue, and I still hear very few "horror" stories. Maybe I'm just not listening! ha

Comment

I prewash all my fabrics, and that's why I don't buy precut strips. They shrink and distort like crazy.

One time I bought a bunch of precut four-inch squares for a quick baby quilt. I soaked them in hot water and then ironed them dry. They shrank half an inch widthwise! That's a lot of shrinkage over just four inches! I used 'em anyway, since all I was doing was sewing them together in one long strip.

Anne in Vancouver, Canada

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Ditto Anne. I even pre-wash scraps in a lingerie bag. I'm more concerned about shrinkage than excess dye, just b/c it's more common. But IF I was going to use pre-cuts, and pre-cuts ONLY in a quilt, I'd just wash it afterwards, & let it all shrink together. I wouldn't mix washed & non-washed.
                      Florence

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I've made quilts from several jelly rolls and not prewashed my strips and I have never had a problem with untoward shrinkage when I was done with the project.

I think that the key is to start with good quality fabric. All of it will shrink a little bit, but so will everything else in the quilt, so let it all shrink together. I think you would add more distortion into the project by soaking the strip and then drying it and ironing it than you get with the unwashed strip in the first place. Plus you eliminate the convenience, which is the reason you bought those precut strips in the first place!

Besides - quilting is a hobby, guys. Why put yourself thru that for a result that even the expert disagree about? It can't be TOO bad!

BethMI

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2900 users online. 561 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X