Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

RECIPES from the TQS FORUM

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECIPES from the TQS FORUM

OK. As we're constantly searching the Forum for recipes we've seen - Here' a place where we can copy the recipes AND ONLY the recipes...
    Lets keep the banter where we're already doing quite well... And collect only the recipes here....
    hope this doesn't offend non-foodies - but let's face it - we all have to eat...

Feel free to add recipes you come across anywhere on the website
    Or one of your own that you think we would enjoy

When I copy the recipes I loose the pictures... So if it's one of yours, go ahead enter your own complete one and I'll delete the 'copy'
    :lol:
    Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

RITA'S IRISH BROWN BREAD

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
    Guess it's time for my Brown Soda Bread recipe!

RITA'S IRISH BROWN BREAD

8oz stoneground wholewheat flour
    2 handfuls oat bran
    2 handfuls wheatgerm (toasted or untoasted)
    Make up to 1lb with plain white flour
    1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (bread soda)(sieved)
    1 teaspoon caster sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    16 fl oz buttermilk

METHOD:
    Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF
    Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together with a whisk. Make a well in the centre of the flour with a wooden spoon. Pour all the buttermilk at one time into the centre of the flour and mix with a wooden spoon. It should look like this when you have mixed it all.

Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment and fill with the mixture. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds or oatmeal or your personal favourite. This is what it should look like before it goes into the oven. The one on the right is brown bread the one on the left is onion seed soda bread.

Bake in the centre of the oven at 220ºC for 45 minutes. (If you have a fan oven you will need to adjust the temperature according to the manufacturers instructions and it may cook quicker.) Test to see if it is done by tapping the bottom of the loaf. If it sounds hollow it is cooked. It should look like this:

Take off the lining paper or baking parchment and allow to cool on a wire rack. Best eaten when it has cooled completely.
    ENJOY! :mrgreen:

Comment

RITA'S ONION-SEED SODA BREAD

Hi Bren, I am loving your photos! Here are the ingredients for the onion seed bread:

RITA'S ONION-SEED SODA BREAD
      2 handfuls oat bran
      2 handfuls wheatgerm
      Make up to 1 lb with plain white flour
      2 teaspoons onion seeds and enough to sprinkle on the top
      1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (sieved)
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon caster sugar
      16 fl oz buttermilk

Heat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF
      Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix together with a whisk. Pour the buttermilk into a well in the centre and mix together until all the ingredients are combined to make a very sticky dough. If it's a little dry add some more buttermilk and if it's all gone just add a little milk. Put into a 2lb loaf tin and sprinkle more onion seeds on top. Bake for 45 mins until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Take off baking parchment and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

You can make all sorts of variations of this. You don't have to add the oat bran and wheatgerm - you can make it with all plain white flour. You could use onion salt instead of regular salt and make it 1 teaspoon instead. A favourite here is raisin white soda where we add about 2 oz raisins to the mix before adding the buttermilk. My mother remembers her mother making a ginger version with crystalized ginger and white sugar on the top. I make this for her sometimes.

Hope it works out for you. The onion seed bread is my kids favourite for school lunches with cheese and ham. It's also great with a hearty soup.
      Enjoy. :mrgreen:

Comment

Renata, traditionally we don't use dates in a tea-brack - but you can put whatever fruit you like into it.

Here's the recipe:

RITA'S IRISH TEA BRACK

16oz dried fruit (we just use raisins and sultanas)
        16 fl oz strong black tea
        4 oz soft brown sugar
        4 oz granulated white sugar
        1 egg
        14 oz plain white flour (without raising agent)
        1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
        1 teaspoon baking powder

Put the raisins and sultanas into a bowl, cover with the tea and leave overnight to allow the fruit to plump up. The next day preheat the oven to 160C/320F. Line two 2lb loaf tins with baking parchment. Add the sugar and egg to the fruit and tea and combine well. Sieve the flour, mixed spice and baking powder and add it to the fruit mix stirring thoroughly. The mixture should be softish. You can add a little more flour if it seems too runny or a little more tea, or milk, if it seems to dry. Divide the mixture between the two loaf tins. Bake at 160C/320F for 30 minutes and then turn down the oven to 150C/300F for a further 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack - if you can wait that long - and serve with butter and a cup of tea. Enjoy.
        Reetzbobeetz. WotRott exchange. Page 82

Comment

Originally posted by djane
          Bren -- here is the Rhubard recipe and it is my favourite of all the rhubarb things I have made--

Rhubarb Custard Bars

2 cups flour
          1/4 cup sugar
          1 cup cold butter or margarine

Combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes.

FILLING

2 cups sugar
          7 tablespoons flour
          1 cup whipping cream
          3 beaten eggs
          5 cups finely chopped rhubarb

Combine sugar and flour. Whisk in cream and eggs. Add rhubarb. Pour over the baked crust. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until custard is set.

TOPPING

2 packages (3 ounce) cream cheese softened
          1/2 cup sugar
          1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
          1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over top of cooled bars. Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy.

Comment

sewengel wrote:
            You girls are spoiled rotten, so here goes.
            Zucchini Bread
            3 eggs
            2 cups sugar
            1 C. vegetable oil
            1 tsp. vanilla
            8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
            1 tsp. baking soda
            1 tsp baking powder
            1 tsp. cinnamon, but I put in more cause I love cinnamon
            1 tsp. salt.
            1/2 tsp nutmet
            2 cups shredded zucchini

Oven at 350 two 9 x 5" loaf pans or 7 of the little ones (don't know the size)

Here at altitude I bake it about 45 minutes, but you can watch it. Also you can add nuts -- it also freezes very well.

Dang that made me hungry, guess I will make some this afternoon. LOL

Hugs, Sharon.
            Sewengel. WotRott exchange Page 84

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
              Rita, yeast in a 'barm' brack doesn't surprise me, since barm is an old term to refer to fermenting yeast and to be 'barmy' is to be suffering from a surfeit of fermeted products. My recipe comes from the Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook (Mum has a copy, & I got my own after I got married) Their Barm brack recipe is

12 fl oz cold tea
              7oz soft brown sugar
              12 oz mixed dried fruit
              10 oz self-raising flour
              1 egg.

I always chuck in extra fruit, because I remember as a small child that dried fruit was exactly that dried, and in a handful of sultanas you would only get 1 or 2 that would squish between the fingers, nowadays they all squish between the fingers ergo - they are not as dried as they used to be. Therefore you need more fruit today to get the sameish number of them if the recipe is over 20 years old. Anyway I like lots of fruit. :wink:

The first time I made some for the in-laws, FIL insisted on trying a slice fried with his breakfast, it works nearly as well as christmas pudding

PS do you think Renata has got the fruit into the tea to soak yet? :wink:
              -------

Originally posted by PosyP
              I thought that I had posted my variation of 'Barm brack', but that post seems to have disappeared into the ether - but then it was late at night. So to recap, my recipe comes from the Hamlyn All Colour Cook Book and doesn't contain yeast despite the name.

12 fl oz cold tea
              7 oz soft brown sugar
              12 oz mixed dried fruit
              10 oz self-raising flour
              1 egg

Prepared the same way as Rita's un less you want to try my short cut (because I usually forget to set the fruit to soak :wink: ) where by I simmer the fruit in the tea and sugar for about 1/2 hour then add the flour & egg - just be careful that the mixture is not too hot when you add the egg in case it cooks it at the wrong time. In one loaf tin the cooking time is approx 1 hr 45 min, in 2 tins, about 1 hour.

I also chuck in extra fruit, because when this book first came out, you could grab a handful of sultanas and only one or two of them would squish between the fingers, these days in a handful of sultanas they all squish, therefore you are obviously not getting so many fruit to the pound because they are not as dried as they used to be
              PosyP. WotRott exchange. Page 85

Comment

Originally posted by Millboroquilter
                I know I can "NEVER" eat/make black pudding, so I'll stick with chocolate.
                Here is an

EASY PEEZZEE RHUBARB DESSERT

4 cups chopped up rhubarb washed and dried
                dumped into a 9x13 greased cake pan spread it around
                pour/sprinkle 1 cup sugar over all the rhubarb
                pour/sprinkle 1 small or large box of jello over that
                I use all flavors it doesnt matter Our fav is peach
                then in another bowl mix a cake mix according to the box and pour over all others
                Our fav is choc and peach jello
                bake according to cake mix box directions
                let cool a bit
                then slice a big piece
                scoop it out and turn it over on plate so the hot drizzling rhubarb/sugar/jello ozzes down the sides
                top with ice cold vanilla ice cream or cool whip or whipped cream what ever you have
                our fav is vanilla ice cream
                easy and delicious
                great hot, warm or cold
                frigerate it after it cools.
                Enjoy, Bren for SD
                Millboroquilter. WotRott exchange. Page 83

Comment

Thanks for doing this, Lotti!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                  That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

RITA'sRHUBARB FOOL

Lorna, at this time of year the rhubarb is beginning to appear so a good Irish desert would be a Rhubarb Fool. The way we do it is you chop the rhubarb (a bunch that you could buy in the supermarket might have about 6-8 stems) into inch-long pieces, and simmer until soft with about 2 tablespoons of water. Add sugar to sweeten it to your liking. When the rhubarb has completely cooled whip up about 1/2 pt cream (double cream in the UK) until it is almost stiff. Fold the rhubarb into the cream and either decant into a large bowl or into individual bowls and chill until ready to serve. We are also very fond of rhubarb crumble, apple, rhubarb or gooseberry tart (our tarts are flatter than the American version), trifle. We are also fond of our tea bracks. If you would like a recipe for that I can give it to you but it's not so much a dessert as a thing we have with a cup of tea. Hope that helps.
                    Reetzbobeetz. WotRott exchange. Page 81

Comment

Originally posted by lotti
                      ok folks, as this doesn't go with either of my fabrics, here's the freebie ahead of time recipe i promised this morning:

baked fruit salad

fruit salad:
                      2 oranges
                      1 apple
                      1 pear
                      1 banana
                      2 tbs lemon juice
                      2 tbs sugar
                      4 passion fruit

for topping: mix together & set aside (you can wait to prepare this while the fruit is baking)
                      1 cup / 1 single portion container greek yoghurt
                      1 tsp vanilla
                      sugar to taste
                      i would also add:
                      the very very finely grated peel of one orange (use organic oranges - or clean very well with hot water - we don't want the pesticides)

instructions
                      filet the oranges: cut top and bottom off so you have a flat surface to stand the orange on, using a sharp knife, cut the skin away all around (be sure to also cut away the white inner skin). then, holding the orange over a bowl to catch any drips, remove the orange filets from the divider skin - squeeze any juice/orange bits remaining in the divider skin into your bowl - discard the divider skin. have a go - it's not nearly as difficult as cooks make us believe - the key is to use a SHARP knife!!!

peel,core and finely slice apple and pear & add to the oranges,
                      peel and slice the banana & add,
                      cut passion fruit in half, scrape flesh/seed mixture into the bowl,
                      add lemon juice and sugar, mix carefully (so you don't end up with a mushy mess)

place the mixture inside a baking bag & seal - place bag on a baking sheet;
                      alternatively pour the lot into a casserole dish

bake in a 400°F / 200°C hot oven and bake on lower shelf for 12-15 minutes
                      take out of the overn and leave to set for 5-10 minutes (it will continue to cook during this time)

serve fruit warm in dessert dishes or glasses and top with a spoon full of topping

serves 4

each portion contains:
                      4 g protein
                      5 g fat
                      26 g carbohydrates
                      168 calories / 702 kJoule

note 1:
                      i've made a baked orange & banana dessert before; have also done the same cooking on the stove instead
                      and this is absolutely fabulous (great on it's own, with vanilla ice cream, with plain cheesecake, use your imagination)
                      the idea is exactly the same, slice/dice fruit, combine with (little or no sugar), a little lemon juice (because this is always good); place in casserole or pan and cook till everything is all yummy but still keeps it's own shape - do not overcook as it will keep on cooking while it cools
                      if i'm sure to use sugar, i like to caramelize the sugar in the pan first, then add the fruit into the hot sugar, watch out - caramel extremely hot: you'll probably also need a little fruit juice - 1/4 cup of orange juice or whatever will do nicely - so the fruit doesn't burn in the hot caramel

note 2:
                      i prefer fileting the oranges - gets rid of all the skins and much nicer to eat - but if oranges are cut into small dice (be sure to completely remove both the white outer skin and the white threads on the "core" as these will become bitter), it's much quicker, easier and also good! :wink: :wink:

i'm organizing a soup-lunch at the office this thursday - basically a colleague and i organize & prepare a huge pot of goulash-soup and for the non-meat-eaters, a smaller pot of vegetable soup & lots of fresh bread
                      another colleague is baking some cakes (& i have a banana cake in the freezer that i should remember to take out); i decided i'll also make a large casserole of this baked fruit salad
                      we're 170 employees at our office here in baar, so they do have to sign up - up to now i have 35 participants - will probably be between 50 and 70 - should be fun...
                      will let you know how it went and how the fruit salad turned out :wink:

i will probably add other fruit - depending on what looks nice and appetizing (or what's on sale), when i'm doing the shopping on the way home tomorrow night; as i'll use my huge canadian turkey-casserole dish, a diced fresh pineapple will definitely be added (baked pineapple is truly scrumptious - yes i'm a great fan of chitty-chitty-bang-bang :roll: )

wow - this is one loooooooooooooooooooong post
                      have a good night and don't forget to dream of beautiful quilts
                      Lotti. Wot Rott exchange. Page 51

Comment

Finally found the PULLED PORK recipe...

Originally posted by RiverOwl
                        Ladies;

I fix this weight watcher barbecued pork all the time, It is wonderful & simple;
                        One Lean pork loin (on sale can be only $8.00)
                        Brown outside of pork in olive oil, about 2 tablespoons;
                        Put in slow cooker w/
                        One cup of beef boulion (I use Swanson’s MSG, Fat free)-If I am in a hurry I may microwave the cup of beef bouillon to speed up the cooking.
                        One garlic glove (I use the minced garlic from the jar, it is 1/2 tsp.)
                        Put in slow cooker on high setting for 4-5 hours / depending on size , or
                        you can put your slow cooker on the low setting and leave it all day. I have even put it on the low setting before going to bed and it is done by morning so I could take it into work for get togethers
                        Pull pork apart with two forks and add heated barbecue sauce (I use Jack Daniels Original barbecue sauce-one bottle)
                        Put on Whole wheat bun, it’s great & I am always asked to bring it to party’s it is so popular!
                        RiverOwl. WotRott exchange. Page 61

Comment

MONTANA HUCKLEBERRY PIE

Originally posted by Scoopie
                          Oh Lotti, your recipe sounds soooooo yummy. I have a confession for all of you! I do not cook. ops: I do not like to cook! ops: Oh, I prepare the meals, but simplicity is the key! A good piece of meat, a fresh veggie, and a salad. I seldom try new recipes. Now I have to say, DebbieW guided me toward a Kraft recipe site, and I think it was made just for me! 3 or 4 ingredients, and open a can or jar! So, this recipe requirement has me shaking in my boots. I sew! I do not cook. Oh, sorry, I already said that! Why did I name my spools Creme Brulee? I do not have a creme brulee torch to caramelize the top sugar crust! Maybe I should change that to blackened tilapia! I do that REALLY well, with the help of Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic!

But, here's a recipe (that even I can follow) for our famous Montana Huckleberry Pie.

3 C Fresh or Frozen Hukleberries
                          1/2 tsp. Almond Extract
                          1 C Grated Apple
                          1 C sugar
                          I Pastry for Double Crust Pie
                          2 Tbs. Flour and dash of Salt

Place ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Cover with the top crust and bake at 375* for about an hour, or until nicely browned.

So, someone with purples in their spools, is welcome to submit the above. It is free in the public domain, with no copyright issues.

Dawn
                          In beautiful Northwest Montana
                          Scoopie. WotRott exchange. Page 51

Comment

Since I do not have an original Key Lime Pie recipe, I found one that had 5 stars from over 200 reviews so I'm sharing. Some reviewers cooked the crust approximately 5 minutes longer and added approximately 5 minutes to the cooking time of the pie ingredients.

Credit: Emeril Lagasse/Food Network

Total Time: 52 min.
                            Prep15 min.
                            Inactive2 min.
                            Cook35 min.
                            Yield:8 servings
                            Level:Easy. .

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
                            1/2 cup granulated sugar
                            4 tablespoons (1/2 stick butter) melted
                            2 (14-ounce) cans condensed milk
                            1 cup key lime or regular lime juice
                            2 whole eggs
                            1 cup sour cream
                            2 tablespoons powdered sugar
                            1 tablespoon lime zest

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter with your hands. Press the mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie pan, and bake until brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before filling.

Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.

In a separate bowl, combine the condensed milk, lime juice, and eggs. Whisk until well blended and place the filling in the cooled pie shell. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Once chilled, combine the sour cream and powdered sugar and spread over the top of the pie using a spatula. Sprinkle the lime zest as a garnish on top of the sour cream and serve chilled.

Comment

This isnt a recipe BUT it is an observation about them.

Lorna & I had been discussing her oatmeal cookie recipe and it calls for '1/2 cup (1 stick) & 6 tbsp of butter'. This direction does not make sense to a Brit - because British recipes are gauged by weight. Over here we buy a 'pat of butter' which used to be half a pound (8 ounces) in weight, but is now 250 grammes (about 9 ounces)

(Besides which I've always thought packing a cup with butter and making sure that there are no air gaps to be a messy way of doing things) However following Lorna's explaination about butter packets, markings and amounts
                              1 stick = 1/2 cup = 8 tablespoons = 4 ounces things became much clearer.

I have since come to the conclusion that USA recipes must be gauged by volume.

When you take this weight versus volume into consideration it makes it much easier to understand the differences between USA & UK recipes.

PS I'll copy this post over to Wot Rott so we can discuss it there!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1986 users online. 154 members and 1832 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X