Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

RECIPES from the TQS FORUM

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it have something to do with sourdough? "sweet"sourdough batters are sometimes called "hermans"

Comment

What's a Herman Cake?

Comment

Herman is a friendship cake on a sourdough base... You add something and stir every day for a week or so, then you take a bit of the base and pass it on and bake a cake with the rest...
        http://srroberts.hubpages.com/hub/Ge...ip-Cake-Herman

If a herman ever comes your way, do not, as I did with my very first Herman, decide that he needs just another five minutes in the oven, then go off to the theater and when you get home - three hours later - get greeted by a shrivelled, smelly piece of charcoal with a tiny tiny core of gold...

:P
        Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

Just as I thought ! Be advised, tho'...these tend to multiply very quickly ! I have a couple of starters in the freezer from the last go round !

Comment

Hmmm, interesting! Mellymoo do you have a recipe that you are willing to share?

Comment

I had a Herman cake just before christmas last year - in come respects it is worse than the gingerbeer plants that were popular in the 70's, because when you split a gingerbeer plant you only got 2, with a herman cake you get 4 - one to bake, one to keep and 2 to re-home. What I don't 'get' is that although you are using a yeast sourdough when you come to make it up you also need to add baking powder - why the 2 raising agents?

Comment

I'm thinkin' these are really a quick bread/cake rather than a yeast bread/cake....the sourdough is
                more a flavoring than a leven-er....no rising time...

Comment

Here is the recipe for Scottish Clootie Dumpling

Clootie Dumpling Recipe
                  This is a traditional Scottish recipe for a hot pudding. Traditionally served at New Year it has become popular throughout the winter or colder months of the year. Sometimes spelt "cloutie" it is named after the cloth or "clout" that it is boiled in. This recipe has many variants and is often handed down from generation to generation.

Ingredients
                  4 oz wholemeal flour
                  6 oz fine brown breadcrumbs
                  1 teaspoon ground ginger
                  1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
                  4 oz beef suet, finely chopped (butter may be substituted)
                  1 teaspoon baking powder
                  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                  2 tablespoons black treacle
                  1 teaspoon ground cumin
                  4 oz sultanas
                  4 oz currants
                  2 eggs
                  1 large cooking apple
                  Juice and zest of one lemon
                  Fresh orange juice to mix
                  A square of cotton or linen cloth.

Method
                  Boil the cloth for a few minutes and then spread it out on a table and quickly sprinkle with about a tablespoonful of wholemeal flour and tossing the flour to coat the main centre of the cloth quite thickly in order to minimise the mixture sticking to the cloth.
                  Now turn your attention to the actual mixture itself. Using a bowl, stir the treacle into the eggs and then place into the bowl with all the other ingredients. This should then be mixed to a firm consistency adding water as required.
                  Place mixture in the centre of the cloth. Bring up the edges and tie with a string, leaving a little space in order to let the mixture expand. Hold the tied ends and pat the cloth into a round shape. Place the pudding into a pot of boiling water, which should come to approximately halfway or two thirds up the side of the pot (with the bag placed inside). Cover and simmer gently for 4 hours topping up with water as required.

Once the pudding is cooked plunge it into cold water for about one minute to release it from the cloth. Remove the pudding to a wire tray and untie, covering with a plate and reverse it peeling the cloth as you do so. Then place the pudding into a hot oven to dry off the skin.

The pudding is best served warm (having left the pudding to cool for 20 minutes or so) and is then traditionally served with either cream or brandy butter. It is unusual but not unknown for it also to be served with warm custard.
                  It may also be used the following morning, fried as a breakfast dish or wrapped in silver foil and reheated in a warm oven.

Comment

Another Scottish recipe

Cranachan Recipe
                    Scottish Cranachan is a very quick, easy recipe. It is also a very festive recipe and perfect for any celebration especially Christmas, Hogmanay and rounds off a Burns' Night Supper beautifully. However, Scottish Cranachan is too good though to save just for special occasions and is especially good in the summer making the most of delicious Scottish raspberries for a truly authentic recipe but don't worry if you can't find Scottish, use any raspberries with the wonderful ingredients in the Cranachan it tastes good anyway.
                    Prep Time: 5 minutes
                    Cook Time: 10 minutes
                    Total Time: 15 minutes
                    Ingredients:
                    · 2 oz/ 55g pinhead oatmeal
                    · 250g fresh raspberries
                    · 1 pint/475ml heavy/double cream
                    · 3 tbsp malt whisky
                    · 1 tbsp + extra Scottish heather honey to serve (optional)
                    Preparation:
                    · Heat a large heavy based skillet/frying pan on the stove until hot. Add the oats and stirring constantly, toast the oats until they have a light, nutty smell and is just beginning to change colour. Do not leave unattended, the oatmeal can quickly burn. Remove the oats from the pan.
                    · Keep a handful of the raspberries to one side, place the remaining raspberries into a food processor and whiz once or twice to create a thick purée, do not over blend it's fine if there are a few large lumps of whole raspberry.
                    · In a large bowl whisk the cream and whisky to form firm peaks.
                    · In either a glass trifle bowl, or individual serving glasses layer the dessert starting with cream, followed by raspberries, followed by oatmeal. You can either make small layers repeating several times or layer 1/3 of each to fill the bowl or glass. Always finish with a layer of cream and a light sprinkling of oatmeal.
                    · Cover the bowl or glasses with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of one hour or several if possible.
                    To serve, drizzle over a little extra honey (optional) and Scottish Shortbread .

Comment

Blackberry Buckle

1/2 cup shortening
                      1 cup sugar, divided
                      1 egg, beaten
                      2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
                      2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
                      1/2 teaspoon salt
                      1/2 cup milk
                      2 cups blackberries (or blueberries)
                      2 teaspoons lemon juice
                      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
                      1/4 cup cold butter

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix well. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with the milk, beating after each addition. Spread into greased 9 inch square baking dish.

2. Toss blackberries with lemon juice. Sprinkle over batter. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour, and cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.

3. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with dollop of whipping cream or scoop of ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers.

Comment

Thanks for bringing to my attention that the recipe I gave, does indeed make a large quantity. Though I must say, there is not a morsel left when it's served at our quilt guild covered dish with our 30+ members and 20+ guests.
                        So, I will have another go at it, using the original recipe and a few other adjustments.

BAKED CORN CASSEROLE

1/2 cup butter, melted
                        1 15 ounce drained whole corn
                        1 15 ounces cream style corn
                        1 8.5 ounced pkg corn muffin mix (Jiffy)
                        1 cup sour cream
                        2 eggs
                        1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar (May substitute other cheese such as Swiss, Gruyere)
                        Optional: add chopped green chile peppers, french fried onions - to taste

Preheat oven to 350*F (176.6C)

In a large bowl, combine whole corn, cream corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, eggs, and melted butter. Fold in half the cheese with the mixture, reserving the other half for the top later.
                        Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
                        Bake 45 minutes in the 350*F oven. Remove from oven and top with the rest of the cheddar.
                        Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
                        Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
                        6 to 8 servings
                        ENJOY!

Comment

Originally posted by anniequi
                          This is an easy, but popular recipe, especially for a "covered dish". Serve warm, but cool is just as good.
                          The recipe calls for JIFFY Corn Muffin Mix, but it may be found only in the U.S. In that case, wheat flour and fine polenta may be substituted.
                          I tried to locate the correct equivalents to help, but excuse me if I erred!

BAKED CORN CASSEROLE

1 cup (225ml) butter
                          4 eggs
                          17 ounces (482grams) drained whole corn
                          17 ounces (482grams) cream style corn
                          2 cups (450ml) sour cream
                          2 8.5 ounce boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix (480grams fine polenta & wheat flour)
                          salt & pepper, to taste
                          2 cups (450ml) shredded Swiss, Gruyere or Emmentaler cheese
                          Optional: chopped green chiles; french fried onions - to taste

Mix all together and bake at 350*F (176.6*C) for 30-35 minutes in glass/ceramic baking dish.
                          Serves 12
                          from CDKitchen

and anniequi
                          Looks really good (if huge) Do you rub the butter into the Jiffy corn muffin mix first or blend it with the sour cream to get it mixed through?

By the way I went hunting and found thishttp://www.food.com/recipe/jiffy-cor...copycat-345502 which could be useful for those of us unable to get hold of the original.

Comment

fab - thank you - have just printed the copycat recipe...
                            and, as i always consider those restaurant cornbreads to be fabulously tasty but too sweet - i can just leave out the sugar - yeahhh

Comment

chocolate cake (very light) too dangerous !!!
                              i love this cake ! it takes 5 minutes to make, ...and 5 minutes to finish it as well...

dark and light chocolate cake

1.5 cup flour
                              1 cup sugar
                              1/4 cup cocoa
                              1 teaspoon baking powder
                              3/4 teaspoon baking soda
                              1/3 cup oil (not olive oil)
                              1 cup warm water
                              1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                              1.5 broken chocolate or chocolate chip
                              1 cup dabble cream

mix all in a mixer, you can do it with electric mixer or by hand.
                              until smooth.
                              poor to oiled baking form, bake 180 deg. (dont know f,sorry) for 35 minutes

when it is baked, there are a lot of craks on the top of the cake, try to see if it is cooked with wooden stick.

let cool, enjoy it with little vanilla pudding or just the cake

Comment

Originally posted by beckyezra
                                chocolate cake (very light) too dangerous !!!
                                i love this cake ! it takes 5 minutes to make, ...and 5 minutes to finish it as well...

dark and light chocolate cake

1.5 cup flour
                                1 cup sugar
                                1/4 cup cocoa
                                1 teaspoon baking powder
                                3/4 teaspoon baking soda
                                1/3 cup oil (not olive oil)
                                1 cup warm water
                                1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                                1.5 broken chocolate or chocolate chip
                                1 cup dabble cream

mix all in a mixer, you can do it with electric mixer or by hand.
                                until smooth.
                                poor to oiled baking form, bake 180 deg. (dont know f,sorry) for 35 minutes

when it is baked, there are a lot of craks on the top of the cake, try to see if it is cooked with wooden stick.

let cool, enjoy it with little vanilla pudding or just the cake
                                Looks great - a couple of queries for clarification, when you say 'dabble cream' is it thin,quick pouring 'dabbles' or thick, slow pouring 'dabbles'? and "1.5 broken chocolate or chocolate chip" 1.5 whats? could it be cups or bars of chocolate?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2730 users online. 406 members and 2324 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                                Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X