Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Background fabric?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background fabric?

Hi everyone - getting into the idea of doing a Dear Jane quilt and am presently thinking about background fabric. I have got quite a bit of civil war repro fabric that I have been collecting for the blocks, and am wondering what others are using for their background. Are you sticking with the same fabric, ie (I believe) 8 yards of the same, or using different fabrics in the same shade? Has anybody tried using a darker background fabric?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I am currently making 2 dear jane quilts. One with civil war repros in which I am using different repro and shirtings for the background to give it an old look. The other is batik fabrics with a navy blue background. They both work great in my opinion.

Comment

My background is ecru Kona cotton -- I buy Kona cotton by the bolt in ecru, white, and black, so I've got tons and use it whenever I need plain fabrics in a project. Some say it's too heavy, but I haven't had any problems, even with tricky blocks with tiny pieces, like Papa's Star.

I'm not sure whether you've visited the Newbie Info page on the Dear Jane Web site, but Brenda Papadakis says this about the quantity of background fabric needed:

How much background do I need?

In the book , I suggest 5 yards for the entire quilt. This is an error on my part. If you are hand-piecing, you will need about 8 yards. If you are machine piecing, I recommend about 15 yards. However, if you are foundation piecing, you will need about twenty.
      Ruthann

Comment

Hi Mirkwood - I did visit the Newbie page, it was very interesting. I think they have got the Kona fabric on the Hancock's site - and the description did read 'heavyweight' which is why I wondered if it would be ok to use - thanks for your message x

Comment

:roll: Yep :roll: ........I made my Dear Jane ten years ago and started out with about 8 yards of my background and ended up using 24+ yards :shock: I did a lot of paper piecing and probably could have been more saving. It was quite funny as time went along and I couldn't find more of the fabric. Brenda even helped me find it one time. I guess my advice would be to go ahead and buy 15 or 20 yards in the beginning, especially if you use something besides Kona which is always easy to get. My background was Marsha McClosky shirting with tiny groups of pindots....I guess that's why it was harder to find after a while.

I hope all of you enjoy making your Dear Jane quilts. It is such a wonderful project. I met some great people and have one of my dearest friends from Maine who I met on the Dear Jane list. Have fun!

Dana in Olive Branch, MS

Comment

I am getting the software for the Dear Jane quilt. And I am so excited! It is such a beautiful quilt.
            I have been collecting Civil War Reproductions for a while and finally know how they will be used! I hope I am up to the challenge... It may take me years I am now trying to decide on a choice for a background also. I am so glad to read what others have picked. Thanks!
            Does anyone know a difference between Kona solids and Prima (Kauffman) solids?

In wandering around the Internet, I saw Dana's perfect Dear jane block at the Dear Jane web site...Wow! It was a thrill for me to see it there.
            I also ran into something called a "Virtual Design Wall" for a Dear Jane quilt at http://www.smastbrook.net/dj/djvdwall.htm
            It looks pretty neat. Has anyone used it?

Karen, who seems to have insommnia tonight :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Wren1010
              ... I also ran into something called a "Virtual Design Wall" for a Dear Jane quilt at http://www.smastbrook.net/dj/djvdwall.htm
              It looks pretty neat. Has anyone used it?
              I didn't use that site's instructions -- I designed my own site which is also a "Virtual Jane." I didn't like the Virtual Design Wall's table borders -- I thought they detracted from the way the quilt actually looks. It's really neat to see the quilt coming together using actual scans of my blocks. Here is a link to my "design wall": My Dear Jane Journey

Regarding the background fabric, I am using Kona ecru cotton, but in retrospect I wish I had begun using Kona unbleached muslin, which is lighter weight. It's a lovely fabric with a nice hand, and it's easily found in quilt shops and large fabric stores like Jo-Ann.

Ruthann

Comment

Ruthann...

Wow... your virtual design wall is terrific. And yes, I agree that not having the formated borders enhances your quilt. A wonderful idea. I am proficient in web design and formatting so I am going to see what i can come up with also. I will look forward to that. Maybe something that I can also print out and be part of a journal to accompany the quilt I am thinking out loud here. Thank you for the great idea!

Your blocks are just beautiful! And that Papa's Star block blows me away!

Thank you so much for the recomendation of unbleached muslin. I think that would be what I will pick as i am doing mine is Civil War reproduction fabrics.

I love a challenge, but may take me years to do this as I am quite a novice. One thing that does appeal to me is that every block is different which appeals to my short attention span..rofl!

Thanks again,
                Karen

Comment

Hi All, I haven't ventured into Dear Jane yet, but I thought I'd add a comment anyway. My preferred solid is definitely Kona. I keep alot of the white on hand always. It's easy to find at JoAnn's and they always have those 40% coupons, so it's not expensive.

Enjoy! Nancy in Western NY

Comment

I'm using scrappy creams as part of the Stitchin' Heaven BOM.

Joyce
                    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                    Tired.
                    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

Big Announcement!! I just finished all the 4 1/2" blocks!! YEAH!
                      I will post a pix on my profile. I started sewing the blocks together with Kona cotton which I used throughout the quilt. I also had a glass company cut some plexi glass for the triangle template border and they cut it for free.

I am so excited about finished the body of the quilt. I started in April and I know it has taken others much longer, but I am glad that part is finished, now on to the triangles.

Happy sewing.

Sharon in CO

Comment

WooHoo!
                        Congratulations Sharon!!!! That must be such a thrill for you. I look forward to seeing you posted pics! I am so impressed that you did yours so fast!

Joyce, I have seen some photos of DJ's made with scrappy cream backgrounds and just love them!

I went to my LQS yesterday and bought 5 yards of unbleached muslin to get started. If I cannot match it when I need more, I will be fine with a bit of a miss-matched-scrappy look.

My hubby was with me and he was pleased, as he grew up in a house that was very history-antique oriented. His Mother had made all of the curtains for the whole house out of unbleached muslin. So that fabric is near and dear to him.

All of my fabrics have been washed and folded! I think am ready to get started! This will be quite a earning experience for me, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Wren1010
                          WooHoo!
                          All of my fabrics have been washed and folded! I think am ready to get started! This will be quite a earning experience for me, I know.

Wren, you gave me a great chuckle over your learning experience! :wink: Golly, for me it is a spending experience!! :lol:

Congrats Sharon! Your picture is super! I'm glad you are that far! I'm working on 2 triangles for every 8 blocks.

Joyce
                          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                          Tired.
                          Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                          BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

rofllllllllll :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be Learning and my LQS (and others) will be Earning! Was that a Freudian slip, or what?
                            :lol: :lol: :lol:
                            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                            Tired.

Comment

A friend, quilt teacher and janiac, suggested that I use ecology cloth, much like muslin, but has been made the exact same the past century. It has a soft hand and is easy to work with. I got 9 yards and am considering ordering a bolt, just because.
                              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                              Tired.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2096 users online. 246 members and 1850 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X