Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Dear Jane Blocks - would English paper piecing work?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Jane Blocks - would English paper piecing work?

I have been reading about all the people busy making Dear Jane blocks, and wondered whether it is possible to use the English paper piecing method to put these blocks together? Has anybody tried this method? :roll:
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Hi -- I do a lot of paper piecing but don't what English is? I have also done the kind where you use freezer paper and sew with no thread with the design on top and the seweing perferates the freezer paper -- then it is iron on each piece and sew next to the perferated line. I'm not sure if I am explaining this, but there is no picking out of paper and very easy.

To answer your question, some of the patterns are definitely easier with paper pieced, some are appliqued and some are just regular piecing, depends on the block. I have over 100 of the little buggers finished, but no boarders yet.

Hope that helps, or probably maybe. LOL

Sharon in Colorado

Comment

English paper piecing is where you cut the shape you require in paper, then tack the fabric over the paper shape and then oversew the pieces together (typically it was used for hexagons). I wondered if anybody had tried it for tiny blocks? I guess it would be worth experimenting!

Comment

Hmm.... that is an interesting concept. I know I've seen it done with the hexagons but never thought about doing it for some of the DJ blocks or even bigger ones with lots of shapes.

Keep us informed.

Comment

With English paper piecing don't the shapes need to be the same that you are piecing together? For instance, hexagons pieced to hexagons or squares to squares? I enjoy hand piecing and hand applique, so that's the way I'm doing my DJ blocks. Let us know if it works. That's the great thing about quilting--there's more than one way to do just about all of it!

Comment

Judy - I'm not sure - I have done the 'hexagon' thing - I'll give it a try - will let you know - I think it should work, if not I'll do the hand piecing the usual way!

Comment

I teach Dear Jane and have one student who is doing all her blocks via paper piecing. The EQ software for Dear Jane will print out the templates or patterns for you.

I've never known anyone to try with English paper piecing though - that would be a real challenge! Did it work?

Comment

I don't think you can do "English" PP with anything but all same size, shape, etc. but someone else might know more than me! In fact, I'm SURE of that! ha

Comment

Not a problem! I'm currently hand piecing "The Farmer's Wife Sampler", which is 140 6" blocks. There is a cd to download the templates but it got broken so now I am drafting each pattern onto freezer paper. Then I cut out each piece and iron it onto the back of my fabric. Cut out with seam allowances (doesn't have to be exact!) and baste the allowance to the back. Whipstitch the basted pieces together.
                  I must be mad...figured on doing 2 blocks a week on average but am already behind as was ill over christmas - should take about 3 years, including quilting time.

Comment

I just finished my next row on my Dear Jane quilt. Row "D" is added to rows "A, B, and C". Now to get for "E" blocks ready so I have some hand work ready to go.

Margarita who is hand piecing her "DJ" in Auburn, CA

Comment

I've had to put my DJ aside for a while. I've gotten a little overwhelmed. I'm determined to make this quilt so I'll be back to it in a couple of months.
                      eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

EPP is just like putting a jigsaw puzzle together so the shapes do not have to be all the same. I will be starting a DJ soon and will EPP.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Comment

Since this quilt http://www.quiltmuseum.org.uk/blog/q...les/01265.html was all English Paper Pieced, I don't see why not for the Dear Jane.

As an aside, I made this using EPP the other year as a sample for a book I am working on for my EG branch.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1139 users online. 201 members and 938 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                          Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X