Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Dear Jane Start-up Jan 2008

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Allison! I love the CD!! You won't be disappointed.

It is so easy to print out your paper piecing patterns and be ready to go. Or the patterns for hand piecing! I only use the book for reference and for the applique patterns.

I really think they should only be sold together at this stage but I guess that would make it look more expensive.

I got my book & software from ebay if you are willing to go that route.

Glad you joined us! Several of us are in a block of the month working on Jane that started in January. We get 10 blocks a month. I'm behind ops: but can still catch up. :wink:

Joyce
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

Thanks Joyce. What is the difference of paper piercing and hand piercing pattern?
      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
      Tired.
      Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
      BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

I'm behind too, I figure this quilt will take years to make so I am not in a hurry and I want to enjoy the process. I have found I really like the CD, it is so easy to print out the pattern if you are going to hand piece, rotary cut or paper piece. Happy to have you join the group.
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        Tired.

Comment

Hi, I do not have the kit....so how can I get started? And which one is everyone making now?
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired.

Comment

As far as where I am in the process....

short pause for :lol:

So with the Block of the Months we are getting 8 regular blocks and 2 triangles every month. So I have done Jan - Mar so far... the first 24 blocks and 6 triangles if that makes sense. We are working in order of the quilt so started with A-1, A-2, etc. Top triangles reading left to right.

However, they accidentally sent us the April 09 blocks instead of April 08. But I want to keep on target so those are next on my list. I haven't gone over it or printed patterns out yet so don't know which blocks are next.

On the software, you can print out paper piecing (foundation piecing may be what you call it) where you stitch on the paper. There is also a hand piecing option. This has you print the pattern with the pieces including a 1/4" seam (or ANY seam allowance size you choose!) and the pieces are spread apart with room to cut them out. Another option is to print instructions for rotary cutting the pieces.

Keep asking if this isn't enough. I just got home from a 9 hr trip to my parents so my brain is foggy!

Joyce
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired.

Comment

Joyce,

Thanks so much for answering my question. May I know which one is easier to make for Dear Jane quilt, paper piercing or rotary cutting method. Which one will you recommend?
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired.

Comment

Originally posted by allisonchen1112
                May I know which one is easier to make for Dear Jane quilt, paper piercing or rotary cutting method. Which one will you recommend?
                Well, personally for me... I LOVE paper piecing. So whenever I have a choice, I will do paper piecing. So I think you can choose whatever method you prefer.

Some of the blocks have tiny pieces and for me, paper piecing is easier.

You can do that w/o the software by making your own sections and tracing them from the book. It is just that on the software, you can click 'print patterns' and choose foundation piecing and it works at the sections and spacing and prints it for you. Make sure the sections make sense to you before printing b/c a few blocks I have redone from what the software suggested.

Several blocks have piecing and hand applique as well. I get the piecing (usually foundation piecing) done and the applique ready and then have them ready for moments when I can do handwork.

Joyce
                Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                Tired.

Comment

Thanks Joyce. I think I will get the software. I own the book for a while, but don't know how to start. Can I use my own scrap to do it?
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  Tired.

Comment

Originally posted by allisonchen1112
                    Thanks Joyce. I think I will get the software. I own the book for a while, but don't know how to start. Can I use my own scrap to do it?
                    I read your profile Allison and see you are a new quilter. Not knowing where you are in skill level, I'd caution you to not go overboard with a Dear Jane project. The blocks are small and have LOTS of pieces. I've been quilting for over 20 yrs and one of the DJ blocks took me over 1 1/2 hrs to paper piece. I wouldn't call it a beginner project.

Yes, your own quilt shop quality scraps would be fine in a Dear Jane. Lesser quality fabrics (even those labeled for quilting in the chain stores) will not work as well with the small blocks and pieces.

One thing I have appreciated with the Block of the Month from Stitchin' Heaven is the many pages of helps and tips for each month. I am paying the same as my local quilt shop that offers the DJ BOM {Dear Jane Block of the Month} (my friend got it) but getting 6 - 8 pages of help.

Joyce
                    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    Tired.

Comment

Thanks Joyce. Actually, I like "small" blocks and quilts. I do not have much room in my place so I would like to make small size. And I am planning to hand pierce the blocks. Is anyone doing hand piercing here for DJ?
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      Tired.

Comment

I'm doing a DJ with hand piecing. I'm about half done with the blocks and taking a break to get some other things done. As someone else said the pieces in some of the blocks are REALLY SMALL. I make a freezer paper pattern, then add 1/4" seam allowance when cutting. It's a great small project, and I really enjoy it. My advice would be to allow yourself lots of time and just enjoy the process rather than try to set a deadline for completion. I do the blocks in sequence (A-1, A-2, etc) rather than skipping around. That way I do the more difficult blocks as I go, rather than putting them off until that is all that I will have left.

If this works, this is my album on Web Shots of my DJ blocks.
                        http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560211243bTdasL
                        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                        Tired.

Comment

I have been doing DJ for a couple of years and it has taken me a long time because I have been hand piecing them. I have found that if I can reverse applique all of the ones that have curves in the pattern, it seems easier than piecing. I have only only completed 3 rows but now am picking and choosing easier ones. I also keep a chart to see what I have completed and glue the scrap on the chart of the color I had chosen for that particular block. My DJ is black, white, and a touch of red here and there. I don't work on it every day, in fact, I haven't worked on it for a couple of weeks. I often take it to my Wed. sewing group to work on so I don't have to lug my machine around. Judy in AZ where it is going to be 109 today

Comment

Marge, your DJ blocks are great, I am working on mine slowly but surely.

Margarita in Auburn, CA

Comment

I've been plugging along on my DJ. I have used every method available, hand piecing, paper piecing, applique and rotary, it depends on the block. I have enjoyed the process, but I am very behind. I think that I would rather pick my own fabrics at this point I am committed to the club. I love choosing fabrics.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltinggrandma
                                I'm doing a DJ with hand piecing. I'm about half done with the blocks and taking a break to get some other things done. As someone else said the pieces in some of the blocks are REALLY SMALL. I make a freezer paper pattern, then add 1/4" seam allowance when cutting. It's a great small project, and I really enjoy it. My advice would be to allow yourself lots of time and just enjoy the process rather than try to set a deadline for completion. I do the blocks in sequence (A-1, A-2, etc) rather than skipping around. That way I do the more difficult blocks as I go, rather than putting them off until that is all that I will have left.

If this works, this is my album on Web Shots of my DJ blocks.
                                http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560211243bTdasL
                                Thanks. Those blocks are wonderful!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1994 users online. 168 members and 1826 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X